Looking for info on user preferences for CentOS VPS

I am looking for info on user preferences when buying a VPS for running CentOS.
    Feel free to PM me if you do not want your answers to be publicly displayed.

When you are buying a VPS to run CentOS:
    1. Do you want to install the operating system on it or do you want it pre-installed with defaults?
    2. Do you want the server to run Gnome desktop or is SSH access enough?
    3. If you have it running a desktop, is accessing it using VNC over an SSH tunnel connection acceptable or do you need some other way to access the GUI?

Both as a customer and a provider we don't find a lot of need for the desktop particularly on a vs which may be memory constrained.

Default install of Centos is generally sufficient.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Both as a customer and a provider we don't find a lot of need for the desktop particularly on a vs which may be memory constrained.

Default install of Centos is generally sufficient.
    Default server install would be ok, or default virtualization server install would also be OK.

For me SSH would be ok, dont need any other access.

Cheers.

Default install for server or a minimal / core install with only ssh.
    Also a small preference to have /tmp setup as a partition instead of it being part of /

Agree with the others - base install without desktop. I'd suggest you also include yum - some of the standard images don't and the initial rpm install seems to be a common problem for newcomers to VPS.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I would recommend that you get the VPS installed with just the base operating system and SSH enabled.

Getting a desktop environment installed will be a pain. (Especially on the server resources.) and believe me with SSH, you can do just about everything you would need to manage the server. It only takes a bit of getting used to.

Once you get the VPS installed with the base Operating System (preferably CentOS), you can go ahead and install all the packages you would need on it.

If you want help setting it up, I can help you. And don't worry, I'll do it for free!