Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In need of a powerful development hosting environment

I'm happily hosted with KnownHost and DreamHost, but since I'm from NL it's really not a pleasure to develop a Drupal powered website on that US based VPS. Speeds are not top notch and that annoys me.

so... I'm looking for tips and advice from colleagues in the web/cms development world: Where do you host your development projects?

It can be either a (managed/unmanaged) VPS, reseller account or even a small dedicated, but the latter is a bit out of budget so I prefer a VPS.

- hosted in the UK, FR, DE, NL
    - max $45/50 /mo
    - no silly memory limits, it kills Drupal
    - no contracts
    - ample power

I currently code on a GeekSRV account and it's blistering fast, but I run into serious memory problems when I'm rendering images with the GD library. Drupal has excellent modules to instantly crop and scale images, but that requires a lot of memory and the current shared account just can't cope.

I also don't like developing locally, so a good hosting environment is mandatory.

Any tips? Thanks from a CMS coder from The Netherlands!
    hi there!

EuroVPS. They're even fast when accessed from the USA.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || New Editorial: HostGator Alternatives & Who is EIG?
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Jay August View Post
    I'm happily hosted with KnownHost and DreamHost, but since I'm from NL it's really not a pleasure to develop a Drupal powered website on that US based VPS. Speeds are not top notch and that annoys me.

so... I'm looking for tips and advice from colleagues in the web/cms development world: Where do you host your development projects?

It can be either a (managed/unmanaged) VPS, reseller account or even a small dedicated, but the latter is a bit out of budget so I prefer a VPS.

- hosted in the UK, FR, DE, NL
    - max $45/50 /mo
    - no silly memory limits, it kills Drupal
    - no contracts
    - ample power

I currently code on a GeekSRV account and it's blistering fast, but I run into serious memory problems when I'm rendering images with the GD library. Drupal has excellent modules to instantly crop and scale images, but that requires a lot of memory and the current shared account just can't cope.

I also don't like developing locally, so a good hosting environment is mandatory.

Any tips? Thanks from a CMS coder from The Netherlands!
    How much memory does it require ?

How much memory does it require ?
    PHP Memory limit at least 64MB (for the imagecache module)

another problem is that when I use the Update Status module, Drupal is almost bound to run into memory problems on every page, which leads to truckloads of errors due to lack of memory. I won't disclose a page here, but send you a DM with the URL so you can see for yourself.

Thanks for your reply!
    hi there!

How's that?

When developing you are actually much better off on the worst server you can tolerate. The reason for that is that developers tend not to throw a load at a server. Then at release time when the whole thing falls over, they wonder why. At least on a slow server, the developer might notice that things are not quite as zippy as required.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

I have to agree with plumsauce, but there are hosting plans out there that will guarantee your memory, CUP and disk without the cost of a dedicated server. There are even virtual dedicated servers that can be load balanced. Instead of migrating your site to a dedicated server when your needs grow, you just add a second VDS with load balancing.
    Sphere Web Hosting, LLC.
    █ Experience our Contagious Support™ and 100% Uptime SLA
    We don't just provide support, we care about your success - it's just the way we do things!
    █ Make your life a little easier and visit http://www.spherewebhosting.com

Your budget is good for a reliable managed VPS

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    When developing you are actually much better off on the worst server you can tolerate. The reason for that is that developers tend not to throw a load at a server. Then at release time when the whole thing falls over, they wonder why. At least on a slow server, the developer might notice that things are not quite as zippy as required.
    "My" Drupal sites always end up on a dedi Thanks for pointing it out though, it's a nice way to find out how your site's performing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSRV View Post
    How's that?
    GeekSRV has helped me out fantastic here, thank you very much!
    All errors are gone now, and I can safely resume my coding work.
    hi there!

Can anyone explain why for drupal you need a vps or even a dedi ?

Quote Originally Posted by webilly View Post
    Can anyone explain why for drupal you need a vps or even a dedi ?
    All depends on the size of the website. Drupal is quite a memory hog when it comes to listing/fetching updates, image manipulation and such. It's not really hard to run into memory limits on a shared environment. Furthermore updating a Drupal site without SSH is a PITA
    hi there!

I would give http://www.rackspacecloud.com/ a try, they are very solid and not that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Amusing as it is, limiting your development by using a slower machine in no way will guarantee that web site will function properly on better machine under stress.
    All My Data » From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!

and based in the US, and slow Thanks for your response Stacie, but the Rackspace Cloud just isn't my cup of tea. Furthermore Racksspace is expensive.
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay August View Post
    and based in the US, and slow Thanks for your response Stacie, but the Rackspace Cloud just isn't my cup of tea. Furthermore Racksspace is expensive.
    Not their cloud line, it's actually pretty cheap (plus you get to use their awesome support)
    All My Data » From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!

Not their cloud line, it's actually pretty cheap (plus you get to use their awesome support)
    Cloud sites starts @ $100 /mo. That's twice the budget I had in mind
    Cloud servers is indeed quite affordable. Then problem 2 arises: only credit card payments allowed. I have no credit card and do all my online payments through PayPal...

But, as I stated above, i'm fine for now. GeekSRV helped me out great.
    hi there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast