hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Future of Macs?

Forum Jump

Future of Macs?

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Future of Macs?

I think the Mac have a +-9.% market share, do you think that number will continue to climb? I think during vista it was quite easy for Apple to attract new customers. Microsoft and Apple have interesting ad campaigns. It's interesting to think about both companies in a 5 years. What do you think?

I personally think Macs (since they can also run XP) will continue to gain popularity and gain a lot more customers.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Sure windows may be cheaper, but it doesn't with all the essentials. The trust cost of a windows is actually a bit higher than what you see on the price tag.

Good Antivirus, Music Editor (garageband) and more. If you want to get your Windows fixed chances are you will call geeksquad that charges +$100 for the diagnosis! Apple has free a free "genius" team that will look into your problem and fix it.

Old
Private Citizen

This is just a handful of good free personal AV suites.
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/
http://www.free-av.com/
http://free.avg.com/

Great open source alternative for personal apps:
http://www.osalt.com/

All in good time, OSX will require a good AV solution as popularity increases.

At the end of the day it comes down to what people are happy using and what works for them.

This is the ideology that Apple brings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

And one of my favorite quotes:
“Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.” – Rich Cook

Last edited by MikeTrike; 10-25-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Sure windows may be cheaper, but it doesn't with all the essentials. The trust cost of a windows is actually a bit higher than what you see on the price tag.

Good Antivirus, Music Editor (garageband) and more. If you want to get your Windows fixed chances are you will call geeksquad that charges +$100 for the diagnosis! Apple has free a free "genius" team that will look into your problem and fix it.
I have a good free antivirus, music editor etc free and one of the reasons windows have viruses and not as many on mac... simple. It is not targeted. There are simply more windows users.

Old
Temporarily Suspended

MAC is just a more user friendly version of linux (based of the same kernal) and linux is free. I think it will catch on when they stop robbing people.

Old

i was a windows user for about a decade but my brother brought an apple an since then i actually went out an brought myself one and havnt used a windows machine since.

If mac's are to increase sales they need to be exposed to more windows users because most of them wouldn't even know what they are like but once they get a taste they will be hooked. Thats the key .

Old
Web Hosting Guru

I think the pricing for Mac is too high, especially with ubuntu and other versions of linux that are very user-friendly. I dont see them being anything but a niche player.

Old

if you were to survery people out there and asked them if they knew what linux most wouldn't know so thats the unfortunate thing about linux.
But apple or Windows that would be a different story.
I like linux too but i cant see that taking off.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

I think people have heard of Windows and Macs because of advertising. Linux is going to be a grass roots effort by word of mouth, one person at a time.
It will take time, but it will grow. It is already a major presence in the server area. It is starting to make it way onto desktops.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinc View Post
MAC is just a more user friendly version of linux (based of the same kernal) and linux is free. I think it will catch on when they stop robbing people.
You mean UNIX

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilAgg View Post
I think the pricing for Mac is too high, especially with ubuntu and other versions of linux that are very user-friendly. I dont see them being anything but a niche player.
On some things the price is a high, But on others its not at all. You can't just look at the specs of the computer, you have to look at it as a hole.

I use to always think the Mac Pro was way over priced, till I got one. There is a reason why these cost more. The engineering that goes into a Mac Pro is insane. When its on, and at its default fan settings, you can't hear it. It moves more air with fans spinning at 500 RPM's then your standard ATX case does with 120MM fans spinning at 3000 RPM's. A lot of the cost goes towards a machine that is built extremely well.

Apple does not cut corners in terms of quality of the parts. Take the new 27" iMac. You can't even buy the display that is there, I haven't been able to find it.

Dell sells a 27" display, for $879 right now, and the display in the iMac is still a hell of a lot better, its a S-IPS display, LED backlight, and 2560x1440 res. vs dells 1920x1200.

If you were to go out and buy it, it would easily cost north of a $1000 for the display alone. So the new iMac is not over priced, but some of there other stuff is.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I made the switch to Mac last year when I purchased my iMac. I still have my Dell Laptop, which was running the Windows 7 Beta. Despite the amount of improvements Microsoft made with Windows 7, it still doesn't even come close to being as easy to use, as refined, and as stable as Snow Leopard. It's actually quite insulting; the amount of praise it's getting is only deserved because Windows Vista was just so bad.

I think Macs will continue to grow. They have over 50% of the market share for college students. That's a market that is going to be driving what is in every household (and business) in the future.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post

I disagree with windows being that expensive...ive seen it for 70-90 in some places just need to know where to look. even the latest version of the windows...windows 7 ive seen for 85. to a student yes its pricey. to somone with a full time job and willing ness to actually pay for somthing its not actually that expensive.

Considering the office tools that are like 300+

what is it with a mac, look at the actual hardware its the same as a PC!

the only benifit a mac has is its an all in one unit aka screen and system together. if the pc crack that then well the mac dont stand a chance.

I'd love to know what can't be done on a pc that everyone thinks they need a mac for.

no im not a pc fan boy, I just get stressed when people think they need a mac. lmao. I can see why the market % is so low. unlucky apple.

Old
Web Hosting Master

You can always go with psystar box.... they emulate EFI nicely and they even have a product now that will allow you to install Snow Leopard on your home / office Windows Machine...

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
I disagree with windows being that expensive...ive seen it for 70-90 in some places just need to know where to look. even the latest version of the windows...windows 7 ive seen for 85. to a student yes its pricey. to somone with a full time job and willing ness to actually pay for somthing its not actually that expensive.

Considering the office tools that are like 300+

what is it with a mac, look at the actual hardware its the same as a PC!

the only benifit a mac has is its an all in one unit aka screen and system together. if the pc crack that then well the mac dont stand a chance.

I'd love to know what can't be done on a pc that everyone thinks they need a mac for.

no im not a pc fan boy, I just get stressed when people think they need a mac. lmao. I can see why the market % is so low. unlucky apple.
I don't think at this point anyone feels they "need" a Mac. Instead, most people simply enjoy using a Mac over a PC. That's the case for me at least. I could easily do everything I do on my Mac with a PC, but it comes down to what I enjoy using. I don't enjoy using Windows.