Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ThePlanet vs SoftLayer

If I have to choose between ThePlanet and SoftLayer for a dedicated server which will be used for Shared Hosting, which one should I choose?
    Nitesh Shah

My Personal Blog - http://www.niteshn.info
    My Technical Blog - http://www.techknowlogy.in

Did you try doing a search on WHT?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...rchid=19006965

Cheers

Nitaish, both are good data centers.

Do a ping/traceroute test to see which one is better for you, also I think they offer servers from different locations so better ask them for IPs from all the locations to test.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Hi Nitesh,

I will strongly recommend SL at this point, though I do admit TP is a good data-center, but they are not as flexible for me and sales staffs are a bit ignorant - this may be because they are biggest one.

For me, SL has proved every good things, great uptime, great support and flexible sales.
    Vijay | sales@indianets.com
    indianets.com - Serving successfully since 2007
    Cheapest Multiple C-Class IP Hosting by indianets.com
    Reliable servers | Top Notch Support | Stable

I'd vote SoftLayer over TP, due to my poor recent experience with TP. Don't get me wrong, TP's data centers and networks are solid. But certain departments are not HUMAN...

I've had a SoftLayer server for about 4 years and from my own personal experience SoftLayer has been wonderful! It's going to take something really really bad for me to leave them; I'm a lifer!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Softlayer is good, but their support is also is not flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpass105 View Post
    They tend to be pretty flexible. Though we don't use it the $3 tickets will allow for nearly anything to be done.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

I'd look into softlayer. My experiences with The Planet pretty much ended with getting hilarious quotes from one of their sales guys and them not budging.

SL all the way.

Both myself and Tony have worked with both ThePlanet and SoftLayer (HawkHost is currently exclusively SoftLayer) and I think we both agree that SoftLayer provides a more solid service (purely opinion).
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

SL network is better.
    TP prices look lower right now.

That's what I think at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by nitaish View Post
    If I have to choose between ThePlanet and SoftLayer for a dedicated server which will be used for Shared Hosting, which one should I choose?
    Both companies have good reputations at WHT. I really don't think you will see a major difference between the two providers. I did have a server with SL a few years ago, no problems there. Anyways, good luck with whichever host you choose!

definitely softlayer

Defintely Softlayer.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hotpass105 View Post
    No offense, but do you have any point/event where they seemed inflexible to you?

I never has any issues in past 2 years, and they did some of the management work on my servers going out of the way. $3 admin ticket is a very very good option comparing fixed monthly management fees charged by some providers.

SoftLayer support is knowledgeable and they know what they are doing, the same applies to their sales staffs Go SL.

Only people have experience with both providers should post in this thread.
    "SL all the way!!", "Definitely SL" etc.. is not answering the OP's question.

While I am an SL fan myself, I cannot tell if they are better than TP because I have never used TP.
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

I have used both and the biggest thing that sways me to SL is all of their servers have IPMI. Otherwise, I'd think they are on pretty equal footing in terms of Network Quality, Datacenter Reliability, and Support.

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post

While I am an SL fan myself, I cannot tell if they are better than TP because I have never used TP.
    Well, it doesn't take much to find out that The Planet has way more complaints and bad reviews than Softlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post

I respect you opinion. But, what about my case -

I put lots of effort to be a TP client, one of the sales guy was helping me doing that fortunately(another one seemed very arrogant and was like kicking my ass after every question). He even assured that he mailed his marketing department doing a BCC of the mail he sent. And, I am still waiting after a few months for their reply expected on next day.

So, do I qualify to post in this thread

I'm going to say go with whoever gives you the better price. I have used both and you can't go wrong with either.

Although Softlayer's portal and 2-4 hour setup makes me prefer them a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiaNets View Post
    I respect you opinion. But, what about my case -

I put lots of effort to be a TP client, one of the sales guy was helping me doing that fortunately(another one seemed very arrogant and was like kicking my ass after every question). He even assured that he mailed his marketing department doing a BCC of the mail he sent. And, I am still waiting after a few months for their reply expected on next day.

So, do I qualify to post in this thread
    Hehe
    I know are being sarcastic, but seriously I obviously don't hold any rights to qualify of disqualify posts in this thread. I just said what sounded like more common sense to me

And yes, your second explanation is far clearer, and shows your point why one should choose SL over TP...
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

The Planet

I was on TP for 4-5 years with multiple server, with last server I was at TP for 2 years.

Their sales are not flexible, some would thought after so many years they would want to move your ram to new server which you payed setup fee for 6 months ago. ($700).
    His reply was no, if you don't like it go somewhere else.
    I posted here also about TP and major delays between answering ticket, bouncing between departments and never solving them.
    Or if I spent some time to write ticket, and support just glanced at my ticket and answered something I already said I tried.
    In my last server I had two issues, one was network card driver didn't worked well and second was with urchin. First problem they fixed and second one they said they don't give support for urchin even though they offer it. They also wrote that they offer 6, but in reality it was only 5.
    So support is terrible, and I'm happy I didn't needed much support because I would go crazy.
    Oh I almost forgot i payed for ram in one week, and it passed two days when scheduled upgrade was due and nothing happened, they finally added memory 2 weeks after I payed. And their explanation was we don't know what happened.
    Hardware uptime in 2 years no downtime
    network is also very stable.

Softlayer

Even thought they charge $3 for more complicated tickets it is well worth it, they solved every my problem which was mostly with urchin.
    They are much quicker with responding and they do not bounce around ticket.
    I can't say that with their abuse ticket, they opened like 5 times ticket that I have malware on my server, after 5th I went to investigate just to find out that it wasn't me but customer before. This is big minus that they couldn't check that.
    Maybe other minus is that they do not have Cisco Guard statistics like The Planet has.

This is my uptime with SL, so my server is online from start without any interruptions.
    10:56:56 up 276 days, 8:21, 1 user, load average: 0.75, 0.68, 0.71

Network is also stable and fast, especially DC data center which is very fast to europe, I can max out my 100mbit line.
    From complaints I have seen, there is big chance that you will have a lot of problems with data center in Seattle, every few weeks /months there is problems with network, so if you will choose SL I wouldn't recommend it.

In conclusion I would vote for SL, they offer more complete service for little larger price and in SL they do not threat you as part of crowd but as individual.
    Last edited by Bono_; 10-26-2009 at 06:06 AM.

My suggestion try different DC, probably will get flexible and better support and Price.

Quote Originally Posted by webclouds View Post
    My suggestion try different DC, probably will get flexible and better support and Price.
    Can you suggest one except Rackspace?
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast