htaccess file size

Hello,

First thank you for taking time to read this tidbit. I hope I will be able help others also.

I manage a high traffic website on one of my dedicated servers. It currently serves around 2 million uniques/mo.

In time, due to page changes, around 200 important URIs got a redirect [L,R=301] in the main .htaccess file that's sitting on the root directory.

Redirects are in the form of : person/J/James_Blake_2000/ --> /user/James_Blake/

Thus, the .htaccess file has reached well above 200 lines.

I would like to kindly ask for advice: should I limit the dimension of this htaccess file ?

How do you guys treat these permanent redirects ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by adrianctn; 10-25-2009 at 09:58 AM.

You can put them into the apache config which should help a bit.

As far as site design, perhaps see if you can make one generic rule that will redirect to users pages? We work with a few different social network sites and they do not need a rule for each user.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Thank you eth00 for helping out.

Placing them in the apache config would also influence the 2nd large website hosted there ( there are 2 high traffic websites hosted there).

Unfortunately, no generic rule is possible. My example does not really fit the profile, the site isn't a social network.

Thanks.

Unless every example is different, there should be a way to make a pattern redirect for all of them. You may want to check with your programmer. It will make it much much more efficient especially if you are dealing with that many redirects and that much traffic.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 18 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianctn View Post

Placing them in the apache config would also influence the 2nd large website hosted there ( there are 2 high traffic websites hosted there).
    You could put them into the vhost
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Quote Originally Posted by ServerManagement View Post
    Unless every example is different, there should be a way to make a pattern redirect for all of them. You may want to check with your programmer. It will make it much much more efficient especially if you are dealing with that many redirects and that much traffic.
    Yup, the remaining ~200 lines are different. Unfortunately, the programmer doesn't have a better solution .

Thank you.

Can you provide some real examples? Maybe we can attempt to find a common way.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Thank you Harzem, but I don't think it's possible to contain these into general rules.

Examples:

[OLD] [NEW]
    /How_to_bake_muffins_id2313/ /baking/How_to_bake_muffins_2008/
    /Flying_over_the_seas_id1131/ /fly/Flying_over_the_seas/
    (some of the new URL have the year
    inserted, some don't )

All internal ids' have changed also, no reference to the old ids has been preserved. Articles have also been categorized.

The best way seems to try the vhost configuration. I will study this, as I am running Plesk on the server and I know that Plesk has it's own way with such things.