Thread: Need A New Host

Need A New Host

Hi,

im hoping some can point me in the right direction.

We currently have a phpBB forum on lunar pages and we are now being told we have High usage and that we will need to upgrade to a dedicated server.

I search about this issue and was told You have gotten to busy for their shared servers. I suggest changing hosts. and was just wondering what is the best host for our fourm to be hosted on.

Any help will do cheers.
      0 Not allowed!

There no further explanation? only "High Usage" ?
    • UnderHost Inc. • Offshore Hosting Solutions and USA/Canadian based servers.
    • 24/7 Rapid Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / Shared / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated Servers
    • Managed OnApp Cloud • USA Cloud Virtual Datacenter - Dedicated and Scalable Resources
    • Hong Kong - Netherlands - Canada - Panama - United States - Russia •
      0 Not allowed!

How many users do you have online, average and peaks? How much data transfer are you using?

and that we will need to upgrade to a dedicated server.
    Often enough, what will suffice is higher end, more expensive shared hosting. It all depends on the usage, and more money will usually enable you to use more computing resources.
      0 Not allowed!

I think a dedicated server is maybe to much depending on your requirements. Maybe you can reply with the statistics of your forum such as how many users are online (average), how many forum posts and which mods/extensions that may use more resources.

Sometimes a mod or extension does use to many resources because the script was awful. I have more examples, such as a client who had a kind of char bar. He had more then 25000 messages in that bar and only three of them were shown on a page. But the script downloaded each time you load a page every 25000 messages and replaced every short code with a smiley in each message. And then it isn't strange that a host is complaining with a Quadcore server that it is using to many resources (note: average page load time was 10 secs, daily about 6000 unique visitors...)
    Regards,
    Yourwebhoster.eu [NL] based hosting
    Shared | Reseller | KVM VPS | Reseller VPS
      0 Not allowed!

There are other options to a dedicated server. If you've outgrown shared hosting but are not ready for the cost of a dedicated server, you should look into virtual dedicated servers. Typically, they have less cost associated with them yet will give you the resources needed to run your forum.
    Sphere Web Hosting, LLC.
    █ Experience our Contagious Support™ and 100% Uptime SLA
    We don't just provide support, we care about your success - it's just the way we do things!
    █ Make your life a little easier and visit http://www.spherewebhosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SphereWebHosting View Post
    There are other options to a dedicated server. If you've outgrown shared hosting but are not ready for the cost of a dedicated server, you should look into virtual dedicated servers. Typically, they have less cost associated with them yet will give you the resources needed to run your forum.
    An other solution is just a VPS. And if a VPS is to small after a while then you can transfer it to a dedicated server.

But I would request more information from them about how many resources are used by which scripts so you can look in to this.
    Regards,
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by clanjapan View Post
    Hi,

We currently have a phpBB forum on lunar pages and we are now being told we have High usage and that we will need to upgrade to a dedicated server.

I search about this issue and was told You have gotten to busy for their shared servers. I suggest changing hosts. and was just wondering what is the best host for our fourm to be hosted on.

Any help will do cheers.
    You need to be a bit more specific regarding "high usage", is it high CPU/RAM usage, and/or high storage and transfer usage? Usually once you've outgrown shared hosting, a VPS (virtual private server) is the next logical step, where you have your own dedicated amounts of ram, tons of traffic and storage as well as access to more CPU power. A dedicated server is a big jump from shared hosting, but again it depends on what "high usage" means.
      0 Not allowed!

If you have given more details of what you need, then it could have been easier to evaluate what is best for you. But either way, you could try checking the offer forum if you like.
      0 Not allowed!

A Managed VPS solution may suit your needs. Look at KnownHost managed VPS plans or SliceHost for self-management.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Any help will do cheers.
    Hi clanjapan,

I would recommend you going with a dedicated server this offers you more resources to use.

BTW how many active users on the forum?

Cheers
      0 Not allowed!

Really depends on the traffic and resources that consumed during peak and off peak. Justify from there whether you need to have individual server or not.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong
      0 Not allowed!

this is what our hoster said;

Recently your account was utilizing excessive resources and putting load on server, making it unstable. Details are as follows:

A detail of the problem is shown below as:

CPU: 0.58 %
    Memory: 1.46 %
    Mysql: 1.0 %

We have currently about 900 memebers
      0 Not allowed!

Do you know how much memory the server has and what they mean with mysql 1.0%?
    Regards,
      0 Not allowed!

this is what our hoster said;

Recently your account was utilizing excessive resources and putting load on server, making it unstable. Details are as follows:

A detail of the problem is shown below as:

CPU: 0.58 %
    Memory: 1.46 %
    Mysql: 1.0 %

We have currently about 900 memebers
    Well 0.58% of CPU is hardly "utilizing excessive resources" and "putting load on server, making it unstable" even if they are using 8 cores CPU, etc and 1.46% of memory is very low as well.

Normally how many forum members are online at a time?
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •
      0 Not allowed!