So how's RackShack reliability these days?

In the past, I've heard about various horror stories about RackShack. The worst one was when someone had two servers with RackShack that were backing each other up. He needed to get one of the servers restored (i.e. wiped clean and loaded with a fresh OS install).

They restored the wrong one. Then they realized their mistake, and restored the right one (which had the only backup of the server they incorrectly restored). Ouch!

Does this sort of thing still happen at RackShack? What about their general reliability?

That's hilarous! =D

After reading what you just said I'm about ot fall of my chair...sorry but its just too funny
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

They're always quick about reboots for me.

They do restores by removing your old disk and putting in a disk copied from a master. They keep the old disk for several days before reformatting it in case somebody (either you or RS) made a mistake.

So once they realized their mistake, they would have put the old disk back in the one that had been wrongly restored, and then pulled the disk from the one that was supposed to get the restore.

this is rackshack's forum.

are you expecting someone to tell you TRUTH?
    then someone may take risk of being banned...

Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

i'm whit RS since 4 month around then very Happy, i have got around 30 min downtime (network prob) in 4 month, My Celery 1.3 whith 1gb ram work like a deer in the wood ;-P

Then before someone critisise , i'M fairly neutral and new to Dedicated But until now nothing bad appened at RS, there is so mutch ppl talking again Rs (bad or good), but for me until now nothing to tell just what i expect...

The support need some improvement, but i have need for a reboot 1 time then done not as fast we want (2 sec lol..) But around 10-15min... I think if you give a clear reboot subject they will go priority since ITS a priority, but 15min is still long a bit ;-P

But not for newbie i think, since Rs offer no soft. support at all..

Hard to learn

I guess with a few thousand servers, some bad incidents will and do happen. It's how they react to it that's most important.

Pretty good, I have seen no down time so far.

Rackshack doesn't even delete/ban critical threads/users from their own customer forums. When I was searching for a provider, that impressed me. Rackshack doesn't provide that much in the way of support, but given the price and the fact that I don't require much support make them a good fit. I would absolutely not recommend them to anybody who doesn't know how to admin a Linux box unless you plan to hire a Linux admin to do those parts. Rackshack doesn't do software support, any software that comes on the box you have to get support from the software vendor, not Rackshack.

10/10 for me. As you will see from many of my other threads, Rackshack are great!
    dot5hosting.com
    chris@dot5hosting.com
    "We look after our customers, or someone else will"

Our rackshack servers have been very good to us.

I think their support is subpar - but the network is good.

Bill
    Simplenethosting.com

"Quality Hosting, It's that Simple"
    http://www.simplenethosting.com

RackShack has been great for me. I have about 9 or 10 servers there, i don't remember (im not at home right now)

I've got several servers with Rackshack and also manage a few for clients... the servers that I still have, have been with me since first month of this year. Their network has improved a lot since then. I couldn't recommend Rackshack enough for unmanaged servers.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

As long as you know howto run a server there's nothing wrong with them.

Alan ... your site says rackspace.com ... not rackshack ... what the heak!?
    http://www.outcrier.com
    http://www.epock.com

Originally posted by Blieb
    Alan ... your site says rackspace.com ... not rackshack ... what the heak!?
    Yes, that's correct. Clients of SpiritHosting.NET looking for shared web hosting accounts are placed on Rackspace.com servers... (I'm probably not allowed to say this, but to justify things)... I manage a few Rackshack servers for private clients and also own a few myself offering semi-dedicated servers.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

they've been good here so far, needed a reboot once and it was done within 10 mins and they always seem to be on top of network probs when they happen.

Originally posted by exploiter
    they've been good here so far, needed a reboot once and it was done within 10 mins and they always seem to be on top of network probs when they happen.
    Well, with rackshack, this is EXPECTED

Because they have so many servers, you would imagine they would hire staff to be there all the time (which they do)

just saying

when you have a huge company, quick response are expected generally.

every minute counts!

one of my rs servers mysteroiusly went down
    so i sent in a ticket for a reboot 20 mins ago, still waiting for it to be rebooted.

they need apc. that's what they need. apc!