Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hostpolice is down

Hello.
    I am not hosted on hostpolice at all but however they are down from a very long time and now it looks like their domain is expired..
    Visit www.hostpolice.com to see..
    Do anyone have any news about them
    DecroHost.Com - Major Performer Of Web Hosting

their domains now with sedo parking. that means, they've gone out of business.
    SYN Gadget (!) Synchronous Gadget
    It's All About Gadget, Gizmo, Hot Tech Stuff and So Many More!
    SYN Gadget is Proudly Hosted by SYN Hosting

with a name like that, Im not surprised they're out of business
    Professional Banner Design
    5 Revisions | Fast Turn Around
    GoodBanners.com

ya they made BID for 60$ for that domain
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting R1 Soft Offsite-Backup Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

I can't say that I'm surprised - I do believe I predicted such an outcome not too long ago in a thread that was discussing them and their services.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hello,
    It was a matter of time with HostPolice. They had a flawed business plan from the start. They sold $45.00 per year Alpha Reseller Packages, enough said. They have had a long-standing history of being Spammer Friendly, Poor Customer Service, and Downtime.

The domain is now parked via Sedo and is listed for $60.00. The problem is that domain is so tarnished that it is not even worth getting the domain for free. It is like passing around a rotten apple, it cannot be restored.

It is clear that they are no longer in business, so I would cut your losses and move onto an Adult Host.

On the same note, wasn't there some sort of running bet on this forum on how long they would last for? I Think bear may have won? (Just Kidding Of Course)
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

I'm glad it's done for. I've only just joined recently and have seen a couple of threads noting the poor level of support.

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    It is clear that they are no longer in business, so I would cut your losses and move onto an Adult Host.
    The OP wasn't using HostPolice.
    Last edited by yeahyeahyup; 10-24-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyup View Post

The OP wasn't using HostPolice.
    Hello,
    I saw that, however that was ment for those who were still using them
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

My friend use their service and lose the data 2 time already..

Quote Originally Posted by Dear View Post
    I would think you would learn after the first time to keep your own backups of your data... The first time shame on the host the second time shame on the person who didn't keep a backup.

Why would your friend give them a second chance? If it was me, I would have been mad of course but I wouldn't give them the chance to lose my data again. Such errors are unacceptable in my book.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

I remember atleast 2-3 threads were here regarding them with in a month or two. Any way feel sorry for those customers who were trapped in such a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    I remember atleast 2-3 threads were here regarding them with in a month or two. Any way feel sorry for those customers who were trapped in such a situation.
    Agreed. I hope they learned to keep a backup of all their data.
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    Agreed. I hope they learned to keep a backup of all their data.
    They should be. But you can see this also.
    A bit of a surprise though I am not sure whether he had a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBanners View Post
    with a name like that, Im not surprised they're out of business

I don't think it's a bad name at all. Unless of course you have a problem with the police.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    I don't think it's a bad name at all. Unless of course you have a problem with the police.
    That is nice Tony .

Many people dislike the police until they need them.

Haha.. nice point. I agree with that since I don't really find a host's name to be weird with a police in it. Though its still sounds scary, don't know why..

Quote Originally Posted by akirah View Post
    I agree with that since I don't really find a host's name to be weird with a police in it.
    On the other hand as it is a different name it is a catchy one IMO.

My only advice is to research the company, Even small companies have been running for 10+ years without major events. It's all down to poor management and school boy bedroom hosts.
    NationhostUK - International Hosting Provider
    UK, US & Asia based servers - Shared, VPS & Dedi
    LancasterSecure - Secure Online Solutions
    www.lancastersecure.co.uk - 01934 310013

I think that this type name is not suitable for hosting company, because it look childish for first time, secondly it looks like this is some type of agency which taking care of hosts

I took down HostPolice? *loled*

Quote Originally Posted by webilly View Post
    I think that this type name is not suitable for hosting company, because it look childish for first time, secondly it looks like this is some type of agency which taking care of hosts
    Is Hawk Host childish or Host Gator or any other host with some sort of animal associated with it? If you have a common word and host in it you can pull it off. I question people though with names like abcdef.com or something that is made up and has nothing about host in it.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

What about providers that don't say host such as Softlayer, Steadfast, etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    A bit of a surprise though I am not sure whether he had a back up.
    My friend did have a backup before the first lost.. He read it here about the arguement of hostpolice and the dedicated server provider.. forgot then name..

He beleive that hostpolice should be given the 2nd chance since that is not their fault.. So he continue using their service and restore the backup data he have.. Day after that he's pc BSOD and need to re-format.. So he lost all he's file.. He want to backup file from cpanel but the server is down already..

Wait and wait still no news.. Now the domain is on sell already.. =.=

My friend did have a backup before the first lost.. He read it here about the arguement of hostpolice and the dedicated server provider.. forgot then name..

He beleive that hostpolice should be given the 2nd chance since that is not their fault.. So he continue using their service and restore the backup data he have.. Day after that he's pc BSOD and need to re-format.. So he lost all he's file.. He want to backup file from cpanel but the server is down already..

Wait and wait still no news.. Now the domain is on sell already.. =.=
    Feel bad for your friend, HostPolice yeah ? a name that will be remember here in WHT.
    █ Providing Quality Litespeed Web Hosting
    Data Centre - USA - UK - Malaysia
    █ 24/7 Fast Support / 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by The-Pixel View Post
    Why would your friend give them a second chance? If it was me, I would have been mad of course but I wouldn't give them the chance to lose my data again. Such errors are unacceptable in my book.
    Hard drive failures can not be prevented

Quote Originally Posted by bentink View Post
    Hard drive failures can not be prevented
    Not prevented but the damage as a result of a hard drive failure can often be prevented by running a raid array using disks from different lots/batches and keeping off-server backups.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Not prevented but the damage as a result of a hard drive failure can often be prevented by running a raid array using disks from different lots/batches and keeping off-server backups.
    Still you can not be 100% certain data will not be lost. Both RAID and off-site server can fail.

Keeping regular backups in blu-ray drives would be a good option but I fear no shared host will do on shared hosting servers it as it will be expensive.

I remember even here at WHT several posts were lost.

Still you can not be 100% certain data will not be lost. Both RAID and off-site server can fail.
    Nothing is 100% - the world could end tomorrow which would be 100% data loss for every provider but it's unlikely to happen.

If you lose enough drives on a server to lose all of the data on the server as well as all of the data on your backup server (which will likely also be running raid) then I would say that you are tremendously unlucky.

Keeping regular backups in blu-ray drives would be a good option but I fear no shared host will do on shared hosting servers it as it will be expensive.
    Heh, I don't see how that would be any more reliable than a backup server running raid10 with 10~16 drives that is only used for backing up/restoring data (i.e. not used 24/7 in most cases). blu-ray disks can be scratched, broken, dropped, misplaced, mis-written, etc... Not to mention that the data density per disc still is not high enough to make it a reasonable backup medium for a provider that offers hosting. It is a nice tape replacement for companies that only handle a few servers that do in-house things I would think but beyond that I don't see it being very effective (both data density or cost) in a shared environment for a provider.

I remember even here at WHT several posts were lost.
    That's a different story/topic entirely.

Nothing is 100% - the world could end tomorrow which would be 100% data loss for every provider but it's unlikely to happen.

If you lose enough drives on a server to lose all of the data on the server as well as all of the data on your backup server (which will likely also be running raid) then I would say that you are tremendously unlucky.

Heh, I don't see how that would be any more reliable than a backup server running raid10 with 10~16 drives that is only used for backing up/restoring data (i.e. not used 24/7 in most cases). blu-ray disks can be scratched, broken, dropped, misplaced, mis-written, etc... Not to mention that the data density per disc still is not high enough to make it a reasonable backup medium for a provider that offers hosting. It is a nice tape replacement for companies that only handle a few servers that do in-house things I would think but beyond that I don't see it being very effective (both data density or cost) in a shared environment for a provider.

That's a different story/topic entirely.
    I have experience of losing data even after using RAID10 drives and taking off-server backups.

If a blu-ray drive is scratched or broken the same probability is there with SATA/SAS drives. When you store data on a blu-ray drive you will keep it in a safe place but on backup servers the HDs will have constant reading/writing. More reading/writing = more prone to failure, so that is where I mentioned blu-ray drives.

I have experience of losing data even after using RAID10 drives and taking off-server backups.
    It sounds like you didn't properly plan. I'm not saying it can't happen but with proper planning and implementation this type of instance can be extraordinarily rare.

If a blu-ray drive is scratched or broken the same probability is there with SATA/SAS drives. When you store data on a blu-ray drive you will keep it in a safe place but on backup servers the HDs will have constant reading/writing. More reading/writing = more prone to failure, so that is where I mentioned blu-ray drives.
    You are making a generalization - just because your backup server was doing constant reading/writing does not mean that it is how it should be done or how it is done at other providers.

As an example our backup servers only do 4 restoration points per day which take around 15 to 20 minutes at most and then all the rest of the time in the day they aren't reading or writing unless a user needs to restore some files which happens occasionally but I would say the drives are *far* from 25% daily usage.

Not to mention it's running Raid10 with 8 drives - even if one or two fail we're going to have time to replace them. Now like I said - this is only our specific backup server configuration - your mileage may vary and it's not going to be the same from provider to provider.

Still it will do some more reading/writing as compared to the blu-ray disk.

Coming back to the Hostpolice topic, what can you expect paying something $40 per "year" for alpha reseller?

Still it will do some more reading/writing as compared to the blu-ray disk.
    The downsides to providing backups stored via blu-ray for a provider far outweigh the benefits but you're welcome to do it - maybe you can get some customers by targeting the niche that wants their backups stored on discs instead of hard drives.

Coming back to the Hostpolice topic, what can you expect paying something $40 per "year" for alpha reseller?
    Agreed.

And last of all no provider will take the responsibility of your data. You agreed to the terms when signing up

If it was me I would have blamed myself if I did not keep my own backups on local devices for important data. Most of the time only the database is important (which isnt too large). The other files can be re-made even if lost under any circumstances.

Curious, since HostPolice was offering "Alpha Reseller" packages, its fair to say other hosts where using their services (probably nothing reputable, but still).

My question is: has anyone seen any outage notices from resellers several tiers away from this collapse?
    Brook Hollow Brands

Quote Originally Posted by GregVernon View Post
    Curious, since HostPolice was offering "Alpha Reseller" packages, its fair to say other hosts where using their services (probably nothing reputable, but still).

My question is: has anyone seen any outage notices from resellers several tiers away from this collapse?
    I think it would be hard to determine that - I think that most that buy into the alpha reseller plans (and those that buy into plans offered by them) aren't likely looking too deep to see who the root provider is and are just looking for the biggest bang for the smallest buck.

I think it would be hard to determine that - I think that most that buy into the alpha reseller plans (and those that buy into plans offered by them) aren't likely looking too deep to see who the root provider is and are just looking for the biggest bang for the smallest buck.
    At $40/year? Definitely. But I'm curious if a shared host 3 tiers down the road - who may have even offered decent support, if not uptime - is running into any issues and having customers wonder whats going on.

I suppose with how many hosting companies go out of business that would be pretty much impossible, though
    Brook Hollow Brands

Time to rejoice!
    The Simple Host Ltd - Premium Quality European Web Hosting - Uptime Stats
    Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    15-Day Money Back Guarantee, Nightly Backups, Installatron, Softaculous, RVSiteBuilder PRO, Instant Setup - All as standard!
    Call (+44) 0845 300 9066 for more information.

True, and the same goes with master resellers. Obviously someone looking at such plans does not want to spend much (especially considering how much VPS plans go for now) but still wants the capability. And if it's not "unlimited", 99% of them just leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast