Talking My Big Fat Greek Brain

The Man With The Highest IQ In The World Is Greek

A 35 year old Greek, who is a math and computer science professor in the University of Lyon, France is the man with the highest IQ in the world. He is Nikos Ligeros, with an IQ of 189, the highest ever recorded in the world, a superior intellect organizations MENSA member.

He was born in Volos, central Greece, but lives in France, even though he states that he is always in Greece. "All the elements I am made of are Greek. It doesn't matter where I live. When I am abroad, my friends call me the "Greek consulate". The Greeks are not Greeks because they live in Greece. They are Greeks regardless of where they live", stated in an interview with the Athens newspaper "Ethnos".

He said that his goal is to create thought, overturn ideas and heal society. He loves people very much and wants to help them, while he feels absolutely normal compared to the rest of the people. He does not characterize anybody as "stupid" because "everyone is somebody else's fool". On the education system, he points out that each country should create the right conditions, however, education is a matter of individual initiative.

On his future targets, he maintains that "the journey is the goal and stresses that what is important is not where we are going to but the fact that we are keep going".

yes, I've heard of Nikos before
    he actually sounds intelligent and rational unlike other people I've come across who score in the highest on the test and are absolute raving morons

Strange, I thought Marilyn Vos Savant had the highest recorded adult IQ in the world (228).

She's also listed in the Guinness World Records for this. - I think.

I thought that the highest score possible was 200 .. and that there was a proviso for 200 + .. (though I realise tests could have changed since I was studying)

oh well I could be wrong, even though I have a big fat celtic brain

edit : mmm marilyn has a web site I just looked at it and she's billed there as having the highest score
    Last edited by susannad; 11-19-2002 at 07:31 AM.

Interesting... You big fat greek brain!

thanks for the comments.

Regards,
    Nikos Ligeros
    unitedhosting uk
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Dream on Matt.

technically you can have no highest score possible. if you max an iq test, you invalidate its ceiling.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

If you want an interesting read, look up William James Sidis sometime.

Originally posted by skelley1
    technically you can have no highest score possible. if you max an iq test, you invalidate its ceiling.
    UH-Matt == the definition of an invalude ceiling !!!
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I wonder why all intelligent Greeks are always in other countries? I know the answer, so don't reply...anyway...I also wonder if a person with such a high IQ will be clever enough to admit that the IQ is a bull****.

I also wonder, have ever those guys that measure IQs and serve the notice to the news, just to gain a 5 minutes of popularity and fill with more **** the News Programs in Tv, measured the IQ of millions of people that live in the countries under development like in Africa or Asia, and maybe die before they ever hear or learn what the IQ **** is?

Then I wonder if a high IQ makes a person say such a stupid phrase : "He said "that his goal is to create thought, overturn ideas and heal society"" .

Then I wonder why a such intelligent person feels the need to say "All the elements I am made of are Greek", and mark his being as Greek. I always believed that intelligent people are above those limitations, mainly property of minds that have been rised in societies and families full of complexs.

But again I stop wondering why there is the need for many to have something to be proud of, why there is the need of the pride.. the IQ pride, the national pride.
    I know the answer. It's simple.

I simply wonder when that guy with the highest IQ will understand it.

Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeMc; 11-19-2002 at 01:15 PM.

Mike, you need to go see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and you will get the joke

Also I don't think that there is something wrong with national pride. It keeps one connected to their roots. It's nationalism and racism that one should be afraid of.

About MENSA IQ tests, they're known to be geared moreso towards caucasian western males.

To share a funny story with you, I was 9 years old when I participated in an IQ test sponsored by the Greek MENSA chapter, via a newspaper. I did so well, that they called me to ask me to join the club. Then my dad told them I was only 9 years old

I still can't get the joke and I'll watch the film, thanks for the advice .

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the national pride, it gets wrong when a really intelligent person feels the need to demonstrate it.

MENSA is a mechanism that makes people seem more different. I believe that humans have suffered and suffer enough because of the racism, because of the different color, the money they have, the political ideas, the national id, the religion. Let's not let MENSA and the IQ **** add more reasons to separate people.

And please consider my thoughts, thinking that I still didn't get the joke Hey, I'm not that intelligent!!

Anyway, have a nice day timechange and all of you.

Regards
    Mike

LOL @ UH-matt!

Mike, the joke can only be understood if you watch the movie

And UH-matt, typical good old, tongue-in-cheek British humour, my matey

Originally posted by MikeMc

MENSA is a mechanism that makes people seem more different. I believe that humans have suffered and suffer enough because of the racism, because of the different color, the money they have, the political ideas, the national id, the religion. Let's not let MENSA and the IQ **** add more reasons to separate people.

The reason Mensa exists is because to a Mensan, the whole world IS different. People have a comfort range of about +/- 30 IQ points. Someone more than 30 points above you is too smart and seems out of touch with reality from your point of view. Someone 30 points below is too slow, and is frustrating and has different interests. There's just not enough common ground. BTW, Mensa is just the beginning of the high IQ societies. There are a couple dozen more.

Imagine growing up where the whole world as you know it is full of people who are 30 points below you as you are right now. You are an outsider to everyone. You grow up always the outsider. Then you find an organization who's sole membership requirement is that you have an IQ at least that of yours. That is what Mensa is for. Everyone in Mensa is considered equal regardless of sex, politics, country, etc. That's why they call it Mensa. It comes from the latin 'mensa' for table. Kind of like the round table idea.

As far as Mensa's test skewing, there are different versions of the test for different nationalities, and they are NOT skewed male.

These type of closed clubs or closed communities (closed meaned as not accesable to everyone) are not compatible with my democratic background. Aren't compatible with my way of thinking, are not compatible with the fact that I consider all people equal. In fact I accept that some people can do some things better than others, but the same others can do other things better. Measuring intelligence in our days and creating communities this way, is the same but less violent from what Hitler did for the Arian race.

People are different but they ARE equal.

If a person needs persons of the same intelligence in order to live and interact and not become or feel an outsider then for me he's not intelligent at all or max he's just an intelligent antisocial.

What is your point when you say that "Everyone in Mensa is considered equal regardless of sex, politics, country, etc." ? Yes that is correct but still they consider themselves different and/or superior from the rest so...it's useless...

And I will not mention what these type of organizations have caused during the history of the humans. And I'm not talking only about organizations related with the human intelligence but others too, like the ones related to the religion etc.

Also, these type of organizations tend to promote their members in order to go higher in the society and get big power in their hands for the good of the organization and the good of the rest of the members. Which is anethical and almost always not legal. How would you feel if a Mensa member takes the post of your son in a scientific laboratory just because he has the promotion of the Mensa that pushes him.

All these elite clubs for me does not count a single penny. I don't fight against them, I'm just expressing my opinion. Hope all these that make part of them enjoy their communities.
    Last edited by MikeMc; 11-19-2002 at 06:14 PM.

If a person needs persons of the same intelligence in order to live and interact and not become or feel an outsider then for me he's not intelligent at all or max he's just an intelligent antisocial.
    The closer someone is to someone eles, the easier it is for them to interact. When you get more intelligent, it doesn't become easier to interact, it becomes harder. Imagine growing up your whole life as the 'whiz-kid' who gets 100% in all your classes, even though you're in the same class as kids several years older than you. Imagine liking physics and math at age 10 and having equal conversations with the teachers about it. The other kids use you as a target.

The minimium IQ for mensa is somewhere around 135, depending on the test. That puts most Mensans above this range, lets say 140 just for the case of argument since I don't have the exact distribution. Assuming this, most Mensans are 40 IQ points above the average. Let's assume (only for argument, and no judgements or insults intended) that your IQ is 100, since that is hte norm and average of IQ's per definition and will be the experience of the largest group of people. The equivalent experience for you would be if you grew up with most of the people in your life that had IQ's of 60. Have you ever considered the possibilities? Imagine growing up all your life, adapting as much as possible, always being the outsider, and then one day finding a group of people who share the same interest AND have IQ's of around 100. That is what Mensa does.

What is your point when you say that "Everyone in Mensa is considered equal regardless of sex, politics, country, etc." ? Yes that is correct but still they consider themselves different and/or superior from the rest so...it's useless...
    My point is that that is the whole point of Mensa. As far as do they consider themselves different? Of course, they ARE different. Are they superior? Is someone who is taller mean they are superior? No. Just happen to be better at taking IQ tests than 98% of the population. Its a well-discussed topic at Mensa functions.

Also, these type of organizations tend to promote their members in order to go higher in the society and get big power in their hands for the good of the organization and the good of the rest of the members. Which is anethical and almost always not legal. How would you feel if a Mensa member takes the post of your son in a scientific laboratory just because he has the promotion of the Mensa that pushes him.
    There is no difference in a Mensan promoting their son than a neighbor promoting their son. All groups of people will tend to do this depending on how close they are to that other parent. What you are saying is that there should only be one group ever, all are the same. No division. No clubs. No organizations. Would you outlaw all social organizations based on this activity? Mensans do not engage in this any more often than any other group. They tend to be more pragmatic than most people.

"When you get more intelligent, it doesn't become easier to interact, it becomes harder. Imagine growing up your whole life as the 'whiz-kid' who gets 100% in all your classes, even though you're in the same class as kids several years older than you. Imagine liking physics and math at age 10 and having equal conversations with the teachers about it. The other kids use you as a target. "

This is completely wrong. You are talking , maybe from personal experience, about persons that have social problems(not meaned as an insult, all of us have social problems in our times). The cause isn't really their IQ, as I believe probably they have not measured it when they were 10. So don't mess 2 different things. Here we are talking about creating organizations based on specific criteria, like the IQ, and not the social problems that people have in their life. I had a friend with one eye, which was the school's monster for years, and which for sure is a more serious trouble than being the best student in a class. So don't talk to me about social problems of that type because I have suffered from more serious and pathetic expressions of other people who considered themselves superior.
    The problem of the "all 100%" student problem yes it's an existing problem, but easily overpassed if the adults give appropriate help to the child and the school is well formed and informed. And again don't lose the point. The best students of every class almost always face this type of problems. So if the best student has IQ equal to 90 or equal to 120 , for the rest of the kids it's the same thing. He's still the best in the class. So your argumentation on this is absolutely relative. Depends on the average intelligence of the class not the real IQ value of the best student's brain.

Then you say, that "When you get more intelligent, it doesn't become easier to interact, it becomes harder" . I won't agree. You are again talking about intelligent people that have problems on being social. I don't believe that being intelligent or different in some way may be a reason for having difficulties in social life. It's again relative. Other factors that complete a person rule his attitude towards the society or the surrounding environment and not just the intelligence or worse the IQ.

I know people that are intelligent maybe more than many of the Mensa mebers that have humour, are very social, have many friends. So again your argumentation tends to be absolute and have a single way to view the things.

Consider the character of the person, the background, the family, the intelligence, the external aspect, the ability to communicate, the ability to use the language and many other factors before you say that the fact of being an "outsider" is the result of his intelligence or his IQ.

Then you said : "My point is that that is the whole point of Mensa. As far as do they consider themselves different? Of course, they ARE different. Are they superior? Is someone who is taller mean they are superior? No. Just happen to be better at taking IQ tests than 98% of the population. Its a well-discussed topic at Mensa functions. "

Simple, enough, trully is, to understand, that being taller cannot in any way create social problems, create racism, create political movements. Instead a group of people who believe themselves more intelligent from the rest for sure could create problems, specially if this group starts to move more in the political or economical scenes. You simplify a lot the issue of the IQ measurement. It's not a parameter just like the height or weight. It's much more than this. Of course I don't know what is being discussed at Mensa functions, I'm not really interested, but you say "Its a well-discussed topic at Mensa functions" , which indicates at least an interest of you for this type of organizations, which could explain some of your opinions on this issue.

The you said "There is no difference in a Mensan promoting their son than a neighbor promoting their son. All groups of people will tend to do this depending on how close they are to that other parent. What you are saying is that there should only be one group ever, all are the same. No division. No clubs. No organizations. Would you outlaw all social organizations based on this activity? Mensans do not engage in this any more often than any other group. They tend to be more pragmatic than most people."

Oh yes and there is a difference. Mensa is an organization. The neighbor isn't an organization. Mensa members aren't parents...Right?

It's almost everywhere illegal and not ethical promoting persons. i know it happens everywhere, but for this doesn't mean that I will accept it.

I'm not saying that "there should only be one group ever, all are the same" . I'm saying that these types of groups can exist and I don't care if they exist or not, but they should be controled from the authorities, trully controlled. A Mensa group should be equally controlled to a Nazi group, or a Catholic group, or an Islamic group. They can exist but they must "play" under the rules of the existing nations and their laws. Almost every country's constitute declare that all persons are equal. The Mensa members can't really convince me that they believe that they are equal to the rest. And again i mention the difference between being different and being equal.

"Would you outlaw all social organizations based on this activity?"

I wouldn't outlaw anything.I just don't consider as a healthy social fact, a group or social organization that tend to create gups and distances between the populations.

"They tend to be more pragmatic than most people."

Oh yea, they are so pragmatic like their IQ tests.

In any case, I have exposed my opinions for this, not in the best way and having limited time. I don't wish to go on with this as the Mensa issue really make me feel a bit ...not well...

of course you may reply and I will read your reply, but I won't continue with this.

Thank you for the interesting discussion.
    Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeMc; 11-19-2002 at 11:01 PM.

I dare not interrupt this conversation, as I'm enjoying your posts - both sides - wow, and it's not a thread about Timmah

So I will now step back and read the arguments - very interesting.

Originally posted by timechange
    I dare not interrupt this conversation, as I'm enjoying your posts - both sides - wow, and it's not a thread about Timmah

So I will now step back and read the arguments - very interesting.
    timechange I'm glad that i've managed to entertain you a bit.

Unfortunately I have to stop my posts as it's 3:58 am here.

Time to get some sleep, hoping in the morning to wake up, with one point added to my IQ rate j/k.

Anyway, it was nice to talk to all of you guys.

My best regards
    Mike

I, for one, agree to a stalemate if my honorable opponent will concur. This argument is impossible to see to its end in this venue as there are too many outside influences in our thoughts of each sentence in their full ambiguities.

Mikemc does not agree with having 'exclusive' groups. I can agree on several levels with his argument.

The original intent of my subsequent posts were not to argue (although I can see I have inadvertently slipped into that) but to offer another side to the argument from my end without seeming like it was personally about me. I'm sure Mike has had a hard life and its difficult for anyone to translate someone else's problems as on equal footing as their own.

My personal experience has shown me that groups like Mensa have value to its members. I have been the subject of psychological studies since I was 6. Unless you've lived through it, all you will see is the same as people who argue that the 'poor little rich kid' shouldn't complain. People who know me don't understand me at all. I have a few personal friends and family who accept me, but I'm sure they will tell you politely that Scott is 'different.' Different is not good in society. I studied (yes, actually studied) for several years how to interrelate with society. After joining groups from Mensa on up, I started to feel more like I wasn't completely a freak of nature. I found people with the exact same experiences that I have had. You have no idea what a relief that was. An attack on groups like Mensa subconsciously was transfered to an attack on me.

I have studied intelligence for 20 years now, and 'it' has studied me for 30. I would enjoy sitting with mike for a beer sometime to discuss this as it would allow full feedback of ideas with less chance for argument (until the beer sets in that is), but don't see any value in a textual debate here regarding the opinions given.

Thanks Mike.
    Scott