Using a subdomain for SSL?

When I was with another host, they set it up so one of my subdomains had a static IP address, and I was able to use this for my SSL certificate. My new host (sharkspace) uses CPanel (other host used HELM) but it seems to me like CPanel could do this as well. Does HELM have some feature that CPanel does not? How do I set this up? They are telling me that they cannot do this for a subdomain, and I cant afford to go buy a wildcard ssl certificate.

They also told me in the past that the only way to redirect a subdomain was using an iframe (when using the DNS Zone Editor was entirely doable) so im not exactly sure their staff has much of a clue going on, which is why im coming to you guys

there is nothing in helm which is not present in cPanel..

regarding your ssl part you need to buy a static IP from your current host for the subdomain you want to keep. And you can install the ssl from whm(if you have access to it) on that sub domain..

Btw are you trying to install ssl for whmcs?

Yes I am (for WHMCS).

When I asked them about it they told me that I had to purchase a wildcard ssl certificate for the entire domain. I dont believe I have access to WHM, I will contact them again and bring this up.

What should I tell them as far as setting it up goes? I dont want to be rude but they really do not seem to have much of a clue as far as any of this goes.
    Last edited by CrimsonGT; 10-17-2009 at 01:39 PM.

No in this case you don't need to install a wildcard ssl... I would recommand you that you purchase a IP from your host for your main domain and install ssl on main domain.. and WHMCS allows you to automatically switch to https mode while in ordering mode...

You just need to specify the https url in whmcs that's it.

Crimson, you can always get a cheap SSL to be registered only for that sub-domain. I don't believe that there is a feature inside cPanel to only issue a sub-domain a dedicated IP without giving that dedicated IP to the entire domain, unless you create an account in WHM that uses your domain but its a sub-domain. Meaning that you would create a package for yourself using a free domain subdomain.yourdomain.com then SharkSpace will be able to assign an IP to that account you created with that free domain. (subdomain.yourdomain.com)

Ah awesome, makes much more sense. So basically to do this I can just get a static IP setup for the entire domain. What im wondering though is what you mean for whmcs to switch to https mode? What would this URL look like if the SSL certificate is not for the subdomain.

Right now I have...
    www.brutalservers.net
    clientarea.brutalservers.net (subdomain I want to do this for)

So I need to get the static IP for the base domain, then theres something configurable in WHMCS I can setup so it uses that?

Yes get the static IP for the entire domain (yourdomain.com) then have the SSL certificate issued for your sub-domain. (subdomain.yourdomain.com)

OR

Create another cPanel account inside WHM with a free domain or well it would be free. subdomain.yourdomain.com and contact your host to issue a static IP only for that account and have the SSL certificate issued for that. Both ways will get you to where you need to be.

Ah alright, that works, thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGT View Post
    Glad that I was able to help. Best of luck to you.

Hope I was able to help you as well.. and happy to hear that you got it to work..

Definitely, you both were. Now theres an issue with the CSR, nothing ever seems to work right (Stupid CSR generates some error about invalid extensions when I try to authorize it). Webhost points me to NameCheap, NameCheap points me to Webhost. When will it all end!?

Definitely, you both were. Now theres an issue with the CSR, nothing ever seems to work right (Stupid CSR generates some error about invalid extensions when I try to authorize it). Webhost points me to NameCheap, NameCheap points me to Webhost. When will it all end!?
    CSR generation isn't that difficult... I would suggest you not to this by your own if you are experiencing problem.

Just ask your hosting company to do it for you.

Thank You..

lol, I did it alone with my other host, but I didnt want to screw anything up so I asked them to do it for me. The CSR sent to me by my webhost did not work. They sent me another one that also did not work. This is why I spoke with both companies, and neither one said they could help, and I should talk to the other one lol.

Which ssl certificate are you using... and I really don't understand why sharkspace people aren't able to help you out when you have even purchased an IP from them...

I would suggest you in this case that you change your hosting company by asking for a refund from your current company.

Yeah im dreading that just for the mere reason that I just switched to them this month. They are much faster than my old company, and affordable, and had really good reviews here. Im just not exactly sure who they have maintaining the support.

Im using a RapidSSL certificate. They got all my information, generated a CSR, Certificate, and Private Key, and sent them all to me. I copy pasted the CSR into the authorization box at NameCheap and no go. Happened with two different CSRs so I am at a loss.

Hmmm....
    Ok but if you are planning a switch to next company make sure that you confirm with them that they can help you...

Tell them the whole condition in detail and then wait for them to reply and make sure that they can handle the situation for you... Also if possible try to ask for a refund from namecheap for the ssl and purchase it directly from rapidssl.com so that you get more help or try to purchase it from some where else where you can get the ssl for same price...

Or also try to switch the ssl... namecheap is also providing positivessl certificates at low prices.. try one of it..

Thank you.

What is your ticket number? We install many SSL certificates on sub-domains every day. The only time we cant do it is when you have an SSL installed already on the account. With Cpanel you can only install one SSL per account. In the future it would be best to raise these questions directly in the support ticket so we can explain the reasoning to you.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Yeah im dreading that just for the mere reason that I just switched to them this month. They are much faster than my old company, and affordable, and had really good reviews here. Im just not exactly sure who they have maintaining the support.

Im using a RapidSSL certificate. They got all my information, generated a CSR, Certificate, and Private Key, and sent them all to me. I copy pasted the CSR into the authorization box at NameCheap and no go. Happened with two different CSRs so I am at a loss.
    May need to have it reissued. We had a similar issue with a client of ours and we had the certificate reissued.

Alright I got it all setup. Only issue I am having now is the subdomain does not stay. When I go to it, its basically just a mask for brutalservers.net/whmcs. How can I keep it as the subdomain? For another subdomain I was able to just change the "A Record" in DNS Zone Editor to the IP Address, but what can I do when its just a subfolder on the directory? So basically how can I make it stay as clientarea.brutalservers.net instead of going to brutalservers.net/whmcs after they visit it?

Alright I got it all setup. Only issue I am having now is the subdomain does not stay. When I go to it, its basically just a mask for brutalservers.net/whmcs. How can I keep it as the subdomain? For another subdomain I was able to just change the "A Record" in DNS Zone Editor to the IP Address, but what can I do when its just a subfolder on the directory? So basically how can I make it stay as clientarea.brutalservers.net instead of going to brutalservers.net/whmcs after they visit it?
    Make sure you have the WHMCS & SSL System URL: setup to be http://client.brutalservers.net & https://client.brutalservers.net within the General settings in WHMCS.

You also need to add the subdomain to your WHMCS license.
    EGC Solutions
    Extreme Personal & Business Hosting
    99.9% Uptime • 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Cpanel • Fantastico & Much More!