* Shared Hosting with Shell Access!

Hi guys
    I know there are so many similar threads related to this issue in this forum, I know but my situation is a bit different from other guys, please read the following lines, any help would be appreciated

I've got a forum with approximately 100 users concurrently, now I'm looking for a shared hosting with relatively high simultaneous MySQL connections number at least 50 and also allows Shell access to dump or restore the MySQL database. but the main problem is lots of US hostings do not host Iranian I dunno US government has problem with Iran's government but I can't understand what's my guilt in this debate?
    Anyway any idea guys?

Get UK Hosting or Offshore hosting. Most shared hosts do not allow shell but may allow jailed shell. I can not recommend any on top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Hi guys
    I know there are so many similar threads related to this issue in this forum, I know but my situation is a bit different from other guys, please read the following lines, any help would be appreciated

I've got a forum with approximately 100 users concurrently, now I'm looking for a shared hosting with relatively high simultaneous MySQL connections number at least 50 and also allows Shell access to dump or restore the MySQL database. but the main problem is lots of US hostings do not host Iranian I dunno US government has problem with Iran's government but I can't understand what's my guilt in this debate?
    Anyway any idea guys?
    I think you'll find that it has more to do with the hosting management going to jail or being fined rather than them not liking you because you're Iranian. I'm sure there are quite a few countries who won't allow trade to Iranians at the moment (I think mine, Australia, is one of them). I understand your frustration, though. I can't imagine being in your situation.

Re: shell access. Is there any reason you can't use phpMyAdmin to dump the SQL file into your database? That would remove one of your big hurdles for finding a host.
    AdelaideHost - providing shared and VPS hosting.
    Reliability and professionalism at prices that don't hurt your wallet!

Why don't you just get a vps?

As for hosting in the USA, my understanding is it's against the US laws to have business dealings with Iran.
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Thanks for all the help guys,
    Re: shell access. Is there any reason you can't use phpMyAdmin to dump the SQL file into your database?
    Yes, due to PHP time out it's almost impossible to use phpMyAdmin for large database.
    Why don't you just get a vps?
    My low budget :-)

How much is your budget? 50 simultaneous MySQL connections is a lot on shared hosting
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

You can also search for a Canadian company who have their servers in the USA, there are many like that, on of them is Cartikahosting.com
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    You can also search for a Canadian company who have their servers in the USA, there are many like that, on of them is Cartikahosting.com
    Well since the servers are still based in the USA, will this pose any issues to the hosting company?

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Well since the servers are still based in the USA, will this pose any issues to the hosting company?
    I don't think so, they are a Canadian company, the Embargo is for USA companies/citizen. But I just remembered that they do not offer SSH.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker View Post
    How much is your budget? 50 simultaneous MySQL connections is a lot on shared hosting
    $10/mo
    I know Cirtexhosting provide 100 simultaneous connections on their shared plans. but unfortunately they do not allow shell.

I don't think so, they are a Canadian company, the Embargo is for USA companies/citizen. But I just remembered that they do not offer SSH.
    I'm not yet a lawyer and I'm from Australia so I don't have a complete understanding of US laws but wouldn't the provider of the dedicated server be liable? I'm sure the laws extend so far as to prevent me from selling to person A who then in turn sells to someone in Iran.

I feel for you, Manhattan. I'm wondering whether there is a way for you to FTP the database to the server then import it from localhost through phpMyAdmin? I haven't tried that with phpMyAdmin but it's worth a shot.
    Otherwise, maybe it's worth asking prospective hosts whether they would import the databases for you when they set up your account?

I'm sure these are all suggestions you've already thought of so please don't think I'm patronizing you - I'm just thinking out loud.

I feel for you, Manhattan. I'm wondering whether there is a way for you to FTP the database to the server then import it from localhost through phpMyAdmin?
    Thanks, would you please explain more?

In the most cases that can be provided for you by the web hosting service company on the request.
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Thanks, would you please explain more?
    I was thinking that maybe you could upload the .sql file to your account via FTP and then try to get phpMyAdmin to import from the .sql file on the server. But it doesn't look like you can. I'm going through phpMyAdmin and Google now and I can't see anyone else mentioning it.
    What you might be able to do, though, is tick the "Allow interrupt of import..." box which would, apparently, stop uploading the .sql file when it senses you're getting close to your time limit and then try again from wherever it left off. It does warn that it can break transactions, though.

Unfortunately it's starting to look like you'll need to rely on your host to do it for you or even give you SSH access for a short period of time. I don't think it would be too hard for you to find a host who would do that. You just might need to do some research to figure out which countries are allowed to sell services to you.

Anyone doing business in the US is bound by their laws, regardless of their citizenship. If you have a server in the US, you are doing business there. The US datacenter/network provider could also get in trouble.

If the company is in Canada and their servers are in Canada too, then US laws do not apply to whoever they provide service to (in Canada).

For example, an Iranian hosting in Canada is fine, as long as the servers are actually in Canada too and owned by a Canadian company.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth

Indeed US hostings do not have any priority over other countries, for me!