Dealing with the Great Firewall of China

I'm having to deal with the censors in a rather serious way.

I run a local forum for foreigners in Tianjin, China. We are not hard-banned right now, (as in, I don't think they are intentionally trying to block us), but we are dealing with something I call the "insta-ban", which is extremely frustrating.

The "insta-ban" is basically when you have to deal with being blocked for 1 or 2 minutes at a time. In the past, this has happened on our site when rather sensitive issues were brought up at sensitive times, and appears to be keyword-related. If the taboo keyword is brought up, or is brought up too many times, "insta-ban". I was able to deal with this for a long time, but now it is getting out of control.

Over the October holiday period, (when there was supposed to be a big upgrade in "The Great Firewall"), I upgraded my site from Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 1.5. I'm not sure which of these actions started to cause these problems, (I'm guessing the former), but now the insta-ban seems to be activating on my site without rhyme or reason. I can be browsing a page about international schools, making an event post, or looking in our photogallery, and it just won't matter. It will seemingly randomly lock up the page for 1-2 minutes. In fact, it looks like when the insta-ban kicks in, it locks out my whole server, because all the sites on that server become inaccessible.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? I know it's a bit of a shot in the dark, but if you have dealt with it, I'd love to hear how you got rid of it. I'm considering moving servers/hosts, but don't want to do that if the same problem is just going to crop up again. The site address is http://www.tianjinexpats.com, for anyone in China who would like to test out what I'm describing.

BTW, I posted this originally as a response in the domain name forum, but this is probably the more appropriate area, (right?), so feel free to remove that one.

Have you tried moving the site to a different IP?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Have you tried moving the site to a different IP?
    It seems he needs quite new web hosting service outside china
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Quote Originally Posted by rumsfo View Post
    It seems he needs quite new web hosting service outside china
    and if the acces wil be blocked from China?

Well, we are going to try to see if any ip address changes could affect it. Moving to servers "in" China might actually be our only hope, though.

I'd recommend trying moving to hosting thats located inside of China, i think that may lower the chance of these bans, but i'm not sure

Nothing will changes if you moved inside of China,I am sure.If your member is trying to visit your site inside of China,they will be blocked.
    The only chance is buy a dedicated IP address with your host,(that helps other sites on your server to be visted from China).Then change for another IP address when your site is blocked.And the last method,just get rid of those sensitive words.
    Regards!
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.