Do NOT host with Servergrid.com

I have been a customer with servergrid.com for almost 3 years. Other than maybe a handful of tickets over the years the experience has been adequate. However, yesterday they suffered a substantial outage (for me anyway) over well over 2 or 3 hours which caused some disruption in our DNS as well as bringing our website down.

I submitted a ticket asking for an SLA credit as their terms stipulate a 99.99% uptime guarantee. Here is the ticket history. Nothing has been omitted.

[Oct 21, 2009 11:39:02 AM]
    Q: My website was down this morning also disputing DNS.
    Please credit my account accordingly.

[Oct 21, 2009 2:36:53 PM]
    A: Earlier today, our data center experienced a large and unplanned outage. Things should be coming back up soon, if they are not up now. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we go over everything to be sure all is well. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a credit for a 1 hour unplanned outage. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

[Oct 21, 2009 2:47:46 PM]
    Q: Excuse me? The outage was "unplanned" and you're not going to offer a
    credit? My account was down for more than an hour. Please escalate my issue
    as I find that answer a very poor customer service level.

[Oct 21, 2009 6:32:22 PM]
    A: Hi, We are forwarding this to the billing department for further assistance.

A: Hello,
    Per our Terms & Conditions listed on our website, a credit is not offered for the type of outage experienced yesterday.
    Let us know if you have further questions.
    This guarantee does not cover any areas that we do not have direct control, such as backbone provider failures, fiber-optic main line cuts, DNS or Registrar issues with your domain name, routing issues between your location and our data centers. This uptime guarantee does not apply to scheduled maintenance. The uptime guarantee is also not applicable if the service interruption was caused by external issues such as Acts of God, wars or any other natural or unnatural events beyond our reasonable control.
    [Oct 22, 2009 12:46:16 PM]
    Q: Please quote those terms. If you aren't going to provide credits when your
    systems fail I have absolutely no reason to keep paying you.

[Oct 22, 2009 12:58:42 PM]
    A: Customer requesting log files, to prove that it was an issue with our upstream provider.
    Customer would prefer an account SLA credit.

[Oct 22, 2009 2:09:14 PM]
    A: Hello, for system security reasons and customer privacy reasons we cannot provide the log files. We can only provide the log files to the proper authorities.

[Oct 22, 2009 2:16:18 PM]
    Q: Then you need to provide me an account credit for the downtime.
    Whats to stop you from actually having downtime that IS your fault and then
    just blaming it on an upstream provider simply to not have to issue SLA
    credits? If you won't provide server logs or proof you aren't lying to me
    then I as the customer can never know for sure.

[Oct 22, 2009 2:28:05 PM]
    A: The outage was only one hour, and it was caused by a DDOS attack. This was not something that we could have prevented and, unfortunately, we are not able to offer any credits for it. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

[Oct 22, 2009 1:54:13 PM]
    Q: No Jesse. No further support is needed. You have just lost a customer.
    Hopefully others can see that Servergrid doesn't actually honor SLA uptimes.

It's unfortunate that happened, although a power failure is out for their control, I'd gladly issue a credit if a customer was requesting it, better to issue the credit and keep the customer then say no and loose the customer.

Three years of hosting with them and only three hours of downtime. DDOS's happen and the fact that you were back as soon as you were is a good sign. It seems like you might be overreacting a bit.
    Scott Swezey
    TCL Fasteners, Inc.
    Automotive fasteners for collision shops.

Quote Originally Posted by ecwebhosting View Post
    It's unfortunate that happened, although a power failure is out for their control, I'd gladly issue a credit if a customer was requesting it, better to issue the credit and keep the customer then say no and loose the customer.
    I for some reason thought power outtage. . . sorry but still have the same view of attacks are out of their control, but issuing a credit for a client who is requesting one couldnt hurt too much, after all it keeps the client. . .

I got a different story from the tech when I called their phone support. He said it was an issue with an upstream provider. When I pushed the issue he said it was ALL upstream providers.

Then I get an email saying it was a DDOS attack?

Without them providing logs of any kind I can only assume that I am being lied to considering I got 2 different stories.

They could of prevented the DDOS if they had the proper protection in place. That just seems to be an excuse not to give you an account credit of like a $1.00 (not sure what your paying.) They should also know that its always easier to give a credit then to give a refund and lose a client.

Being lied to could really be annoying. And its really weird to have two totally different answer for a same query. Maybe you should try looking for another one with much better service and support.

Yup, the SLA agreement just seems to be there to only attract custoemrs (marketing) and not actually to be used.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

An update. Servergrid has finally agreed to provide a 1 day credit. Posted below is the chat log.

I still maintain that any new customers seriously re-consider hosting with this provider. Although I will be keeping them because it's easier than moving, I am moving all my reverse DNS away from them to avoid further impacts to my services.

Chat Transcript
    info: Please wait for a site operator to respond. Average hold time today is 30 seconds.
    info: You are now chatting with 'Jesse Tech'
    Jesse Tech: Thank you for contacting ServerGrid technical support. How can I help you?
    me: ticket #245989
    me: you seem to be the one Jesse that doesn't care about losing customers
    me: so I'd like for you to have someone from your billing department contact me

Jesse Tech: for what purpose?

me: not you concern

Jesse Tech: by the way, we have no reason to lie to you.

me: doesn't matter
    me: your website says "We're serious about service"
    me: your website also says "satisfaction guaranteed"

Jesse Tech: I have spoken with our administration on the subject of credits. We cannot offer one for this hour-long outage that was a DDOS attack against us. This is not something that we could have prevented and, for security and privacy reasons, we cannot provide logs to you.

me: so I'd like your billing department to explain to me how it is good business to lose $120 / year.. instead of refunding like $1 for an SLA violation

Jesse Tech: This was not a violation. It is unreasonable for someone to expect us to not be DDOS'd

me: DDOS is absolutely something you can prvent Jesse. Webhosts do it all the time
    me: if you do not have adequate DDOS prevention that is a disservice you are doing to your customers

Jesse Tech: There is no way to foresee this type of a attack coming. It is just not possible.

me: sure it is. It's called buying Anti-DDOS devices.

Jesse Tech: We are sorry that you are dissatisfied with what we are able to provide, but it is what it is.

me: I can link you to some if you'd like

Jesse Tech: I will not pretend to have an understanding out how our network is built or maintained. It is not part of my job.

me: Jesse, I've already told you I'm not interested in continuing to argue with you. It seems you are a level 1 tech representative that has nothing to do with billing. So I ask again.. please have someone from your BILLING department contact me
    me: I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx

Jesse Tech: I cannot do so because No one will be able to give you a credit, even a billing rep
    Jesse Tech: because the administration that runs our company has made a decision, based on our policies and it is final.

me: don't make decisions for other people. And don't assume things. Please just do what I've asked and have someone from your billing department contact me

Jesse Tech: I am merely relaying a decision that was already made.

me: not by you
    me: so have someone from your billing department contact me please
    me: I'm not going to ask again

Jesse Tech: I am authorized to provide a 1 day credit, is this sufficient?
    me: YES
    me: jesus.. was that so hard

Jesse Tech: Please hold just a moment.
    Jesse Tech: Your 1 day credit has been applied.

me: thank you
    me: have a nice morning

Jesse Tech: Will you update what you said about us on that site?

me: I will be posting this chat log. People can make their own informed decision
    me: it is up to them if you provided adequate customer service

Jesse Tech: Is there anything I can assist you with?

me: no. thank you.

Jesse Tech: Thank you and have a great day.

$1.00 ? all this over $1.00 ?
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

I don't know what the 1 day credit will turn out to be. I was using $1 as an example to point out the fact it is cheaper to refund a few dollars than lose a customer that has been with you for 3 years.

3 years = 26280 hours = 100%
    x%/100% = 2hours/26280hours
    x = 0.007 %
    so why do you ask a credit ?

It wasn't 2 hours in 3 years.
    Plus, their SLA says 99.99 over a 12 month period.

You ought to get the credit as they broke their guarantee.
    But if the downtime does not hurt and the same time you get a reasonable reply on how it happens.Why not just let it go?You've been with them for 3 years long and the problem can't be foreseed.
    me: sure it is. It's called buying Anti-DDOS devices.
    If every anti-virus works,why still so many people get into trouble?
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.