How Giga International ruined my business

Hello!
    My name is Marian Titieni, until 48 hours ago I was running a webhosting business, now I'm almost ruined because of Giga International.
    I will expose all the details, in order to see how things evolved.

I have purchased dedicated server 3 months ago. After a month, I had flood problems, the server was down for couple minutes, the other day for hours. The support from their site asked for EUR 50 for managed service, which I have paid monthly. Here is their offer of managed service:

Quote:
    We are offering a special package, that includes the following services:
    - 24/7 Server Monitoring (5 minute interval) with Reboot
    - System / hardware optimization
    - Software installation and configuration
    - Emergency Problem Resolution
    - Unlimited admin hours and tickets
    - Proactive security patching
    - Kernel upgrades
    - Ongoing OS / Control Panel updates
    - Remote backups

That package is available for the following operating system:
    - Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, SuSe, Mandrake
    - FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, all Windows Operating Systems
    - Sun Solaris

This upgrade is called 'Managed Server' and costs a monthly fee of 49.99 EUR.
    If you are not able to control the connections to your server by yourself,
    than I suggest you to consider getting this upgrade.
    EndQuote

After that, the server was up for a month, they modified csf and it was all fine. Last week, someone hacked the server, erased the database completely. I have announced managed service, they didn't had any remote backup, I had to restore from a 3 days old backup all the users and databases. Two days ago someone hacked the server again, erased all the data, server down.
    I have contacted them again, I have waited for more than 12 hours, no success, they didn't recovered a thing. Me and my admin, reinstalled all via ssh, uploaded over 50 GB of user files from a remote office backup, and after 16 hours of work and waiting, the server was up again. Today, at the same time: 11 AM, the hacker entered into the server, changed root password, erased home directory and operating system library, making the server unusable. Now, after 9 hours of calling managed service, messaging them with more than 50 emails, the server is still in rescue mode, no one except me and the admin on it, no load, they are all home.
    I'm asking: where are the promised services? they never did any remote backup, any verification from 5 to 5 minutes, I have always announce them about problems; where is Emergency problem resolution? Over 120 clients hosted on the server, including my webpage are down for 9 hours, 2 days ago for more than 24 hours, I'm desperated, Giga International doesn't answer to the phone anymore, the server is still in rescue mode without kernel, without boot partition. I have sent them emails, no replies, I'm a beginner in linux but I know how to reinstall an OS and put back the server online, but I cannot do that from a rescue mode, via ssh.
    So, maybe someone from giga international will read that and take measures, otherwise I will try my best to notify people about their bad services.

Well that's the kind of service that nobody would want.

If they charges you 50 € each month for managing services, they must be able to give you managing services.

Also, did you check your machine? maybe you have some worm on it, and you are sending the ROOT password to a n00b in some part of the world.
    did you check the server against root kits? (i assume that something has been compromised, since CSF will block any incoming brute force )

My admin checked yesterday for rootkits, I think the hacker exploited the server via apache. We have checked our local computers for trojans, keyloggers and nothing. But it's mostly Giga International fault, for not protecting the server, for no remote backups, for not responding to phone calls, for not being there and for big downtimes. What can I respond to the clients, after such big downtimes?

I understand you and i did not say that it was your fault.-

Next server, please just change the SSH port, upgrade EVERYTHING at least once per week, and try to secure the server with CSF (wich is a great option).-
    mod_security for APACHE is great too, and try to upgrade joomla, phpbb, wordpress and every server-side software running on the server. (Send emails to your customers, so they'll know that they must UPGRADE ALWAYS)
    USE suphp (ok, this will reduce the performance, since you can't use eaccelerator or xcache, but will increase the security)

Now, you'll have to start over again, i'm sorry about this.

What is the website of Giga International?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7

I will instruct my admin to do that on my next server but after the reviews I'm getting locally, I don't know if I will have clients. Thank you for your advices!

Quote Originally Posted by xenonhost View Post
    I will instruct my admin to do that on my next server but after the reviews I'm getting locally, I don't know if I will have clients. Thank you for your advices!
    every company can go up again

Just try to talk in forums, so people will know that you didn't scam they

giga-international.com

Oh sorry to hear about your bad experiences, hope you find a good provider.

Thank you for good wishes!

BTW, we're trying to get remotely a backup, they are lying about 100 mbps speed, it's about 15 mbps. It will take a day to get the backups remotely.

I think they are selling my server right now, they changed the passwords and still not responding to emails. We were in the middle of getting a full backup from it and they closed our sessions.

I think they are selling my server right now, they changed the passwords and still not responding to emails. We were in the middle of getting a full backup from it and they closed our sessions.
    You mean they close you because you posted this tread? Or you didn't pay for your services or cancel them?

I believe you need to call them and talk about this horrible situation.

They just replied to ask me about my password, all the services are paid until November 11th, I'm confused, I don't know what's happening there, my admin repaired over 80% from the OS and they rebooted with no message before, 3 times in a row.

1) Managed services cannot prevent you from hacker attack. If someone give you promise for that - stay away from him. For ~50 EUR you can only expect services announced by Giga International. But read next item.
    2) If you announce service you need to offer it. If you announce 24x7 support it must be online 24x7. If you announce response time 15-30 minutes it should be here. If you announce remote backup you should execute it as promised.
    If you cannot guarantee your claim it will better just do not sound it.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

I know what you're saying but none of those services were done, it's a answering machine at their number, my admin repaired the OS, they disconnected the server again and no answer from them. I have more than 50 hours downtimes, they don't care. If you search this forum you will find that they don't refund any money.

Did you os-reload after the first time you got hacked?

Where you using the lastest kernel and apache username/group restrictions?

Are you running cpanel?

I didn't reloaded the O.S, because the managed team didn't do anything and I cannot restore via ssh. I just need ssh connection to it to put it back online with all the services until I get a new server somewhere else.

Sad story. I hope your situation will changed to right order soon.

I finally got an email from them:

Quote:
    We just want to keep you up to date, so here are the news:

Our technicians checked your server and found out that it can't boot the
    operating system installed on your hard disk. Thus, we have attached a new
    disk onto your server, installed a fresh operating system and attached the
    "old" disk to the second SATA port.

The managed server team will now restore the data from your old disk and copy
    it to the new one.

I hope we were able to show you that we did not go out of one's way in order
    to help you fixing your server.
    End quote

After 13 hours of downtime, and the server is still down. Is there anyone who things they are good?

The thread starter has provided proof to the Help Desk of being a customer, if anyone was curious.

If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

So story is not so sad as it might be. From old hdd they can get fresh data for you but it probably would took some time (1-2 hours to install cpanel, then restore files from old hdd then verification process to sure that everything in good condition from now - another 1-2 hours. It is right if you had about 25-50 Gb real data on hdd. But, if old disk has file inconsistency or something like that it can took more time). 13 hours is not okay for sure but it is better than noting i guess...

PS. And let me say about downtime - we are in this business from 2002 and i can tell you that i do not member any known host who have not downtime and sometime BIG downtime within these years. For end user it does not matter who was responsible for died time and they always will complain you for any problem (include their ISP problem he he ) So, as host you need have some patience otherwise hosting business will get you crazy. Trust me, it is true...
    Last edited by rustelekom; 10-22-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Well said Rust.

Some advise for your future;

1) Keep contact's simple and clean
    (Don't send 50 emails about the same problem if it is important open a ticket and call)

2) Always reload the os after a os hacked
    (Systems can't be trusted after they are hacked)

3) Don't call someone admin if he can't keep server only
    (There are company's on the web that does manage "Ie. PSM and rack911")
    (Only perform task's you can handle)

Now take a beer and wait to giga get your server up, you should be secure as they are gonna secure the server from day 1 this time.

Good luck
    PS: Only worry about problems that can't be solved

You're right but it's 2:46 AM my time and it's the third night I cannot sleep. I have invested a lot of money in online advertising, people are putting dirt about my services, were no errors on the users data, so Giga International should have finish the server long time ago. Can you believe that after 15 hours of downtime a server cannot be put back online? The admin I was talking about is keeping secure a datacenter but he was hired just today, because I trusted Giga for 2 months and just now I have found him.

Xenon,

Feel free to get in touch if you need a hand with the restore. I'll be glad to assist. It can only get better from here on.

Regards
    Joe
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

@Unix, thank you for your offer but I still don't have access to the server and no answer for 3 hours. When you're under pressure, time is not passing. I'm so sad! And I have put a lott of work into this business.

Unfortunately, nothing, trust me, nothing in the world can be trusted. I don't know what happen with remote backup as well as what cause such downtime exactly. For example, it is not rare case when you run remote backup and it's working and when you need get some user backup and oh, you find that disk space on remote backup exceed quota limits and your latest backup is one or two month old. Surprise? No, you just forgot check your backup destination hdd limits and consistence. It is not your problem as you under managed plan but...

Offtop: Before yesterday one of my friend tell me that his server died (about 200 shared hosting users there). DC have a rescue mode and VNC and also KVM per request. So, i first logged in rescue mode to check what happen there. I found that second hdd (used for backups) have a corrupt filesystem and fsck need to be run. Okay, i did and wait for about 15 minutes. Nothing, fsck just hang. Okay, to speedup process i just comment out second hdd from /etc/fstab and rebooting server. Nothing, server still died. So, i think may be something bad with network settings there and i again took server in rescue mode and check what happen with network settings - it was correct so i again sent server to reboot and wait. Server not up. Because it was impossible diagnose problem from rescue mode or by checking logs, KVM was requested and it was provided within 20-25 minutes. I log to KVM and everything was fine on server but somehow all ip's on server was unreachable as well as i cannot ping any host. Okay, it was look as network settings problem again (Note: nic card show link up all the time and also in rescue mode server work fine with same settings). So, i request checking for nic card, network cable and switch port. Finally source of problem was found and it was hidden defect of nic card. New card was installed, mac address was changed and after this finally server up.
    For all the above it's took about 3 hours. It was happen in DC which i not familiar so i just was not aware that on mobo which they used for servers onboard nic card working unstable - otherwise i will be able save at least for one hour if not two and downtime will be in total 1-2 hour instead 3.
    It just is one of example for what reason we do something within 3 hours (or in your case 15 hours) when required time should be only one hour or less.

You're right but I have no answer from their side for 7 hours at the moment.

Dear Mr Titieni,

As discussed via telephone, we've assigned this matter absolute priority and won't stop until there is a solution which is acceptable for you.

We will get in touch with you immediately once the installation process has been completed to discuss the further steps in close cooperation.

I absolutely understand how frustrating this and the misunderstandings which lead to this are. I want to assure you that we will investigate this matter thoroughly to absolutely prevent that something similar can ever happen again.

This is not the kind of service level we want to provide and not the kind of service level we usually do provide.

Yes, now you're answering, and today you've made steps to make it work, but who covers my loses? Is it my fault the server got hacked 3 times? I have paid for some services and I was assured that it's all secure and safe. Well, it wasn't.
    First time I had about 5 hours downtime, second - more than 24 hours, now, more than 24 hours. I'm almost out of the business.

Dear Mr Titieni,

I can guarantee you that we won't leave you out in the rain. Our first priority is to make your services available again. We will get in touch with you immediately afterwards, which will be within the next two hours, latest!

Yes, now you're answering, and today you've made steps to make it work, but who covers my loses? Is it my fault the server got hacked 3 times? I have paid for some services and I was assured that it's all secure and safe. Well, it wasn't.
    First time I had about 5 hours downtime, second - more than 24 hours, now, more than 24 hours. I'm almost out of the business.
    When it comes to my clients data I would never trust an isp / data center to backup our servers data. I may purchase space from their san or nas, but never count on anyone else to ensure my clients get the best experience.

Just my 2

I remember back in the day I had hosting from some small web host, I uploaded my entire site... sadly my pc Hdd died with my backup on it, I replaced it went to download a copy from the server i was hosted on, and guess what it crashed in the process... what a coincidence :-/ That was back in the day before I made backups of my backups :-/ lol Some of us learn the hard way right?

Oh, and btw I myself have had my site hacked before... If the hacker only accessed your database.. then it was probably a script vulnerability. Every now and then it happens. and If it was a script vulnerability then it wasn't your hosts fault. That is unless they built the site for you.

But if they gained root access and your root password was not similar or the same as any password stored for databases, etc... in your site. Then, you have some grounds to argue they didn't keep the system up to date.
    Last edited by IamDH4; 10-23-2009 at 05:50 AM.

Yesterday, the sun appeared in my life again, the server is up and running, I got very good support from Giga International, sorry for being so mad and posting all those bad things. Thank you, guys for advices, nice to know there are helpful people around.

Yesterday, the sun appeared in my life again, the server is up and running, I got very good support from Giga International, sorry for being so mad and posting all those bad things. Thank you, guys for advices, nice to know there are helpful people around.
    That's great to hear. It's time to work on some customer TLC for some damage control!

Regards
    Joe
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

You may lose some clients, but don't worry about it. If they ask for refunds I say offer them a month free or something to stay with you and guarantee such massive downtime wont happen again. But if they refuse I would just give them a refund and apologize again. Just be sure to let your customers know what happened and I'm sure most of them will understand. I wouldn't expect anyone being too upset unless they lost a lot of business over the period of down time.

Note: When you get big enough and can afford it, I would recommend thinking about load-balancing and redundancy. If not for your clients, at least for your site. So at least you will be able to communicate with your customers, and not lose any orders when a server goes down. I say load balancing only because I hate to see a server sit at idle, but you can just have a small spare server sit at idle and kick in should the main server go down. Just a cheap amd or Celeron would do it, just enough to run your site.

Good Luck with your business!
    Last edited by IamDH4; 10-24-2009 at 03:15 PM.

I was just curious if giga-international promised hacker proof services ?? I think managed services include precaution step but not preventive (which is not possible).
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

Hello IPStrada LLC,

No, we do not promise hacker proof services.

Within our "Managed Server Upgrade" we offer pro active securing, applying updates and patches, etc.

These steps have to be coordinated between the customer and us. We never access any customers server unless our customer orders us to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by IPStrada LLC View Post
    I was just curious if giga-international promised hacker proof services ?? I think managed services include precaution step but not preventive (which is not possible).

Slightly off-topic perhaps... but I was browsing the giga-international.com website and noticed that there are some nice deals there, especially considering the 'unlimited traffic' on a 100mbps port. Unfortunately, this traffic doesn't appear to be so unlimited...

First, it says this:

This traffic is genuine unlimited traffic:
    You will find no 'fair use' euphemisms here. With us you can use the entire bandwidth available with no artificial restrictions or limits.
    Okay, cool. But, then in the fine print, we see this:

Unlimited Traffic: No additional costs due to traffic (if average traffic consumption continuously exceeds 20 mbit/s over a timespan of at least 10 days - whereas the traffic between 2:00 and 11:00 GMT+1 is not taken into account, it can be any value - the connection is switched to 10 mbit/s).
    This is the definition of fair use policy... what gives?
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Talence View Post
    Slightly off-topic perhaps... but I was browsing the giga-international.com website and noticed that there are some nice deals there, especially considering the 'unlimited traffic' on a 100mbps port. Unfortunately, this traffic doesn't appear to be so unlimited...

First, it says this:

Okay, cool. But, then in the fine print, we see this:

This is the definition of fair use policy... what gives?
    That's there so people that don't read the fine print get suckered in...