VPS with user-restorable backup services.

Hello there everyone,

These forums are just fantastic, and were the primary reason that my dev group has been happily using Knownhost for one of our larger projects. Knownhost offers fantastic service and a great product, but I'm wondering if there are VPS providers out there who offer backup services that would allow me to retrieve files on my own (Knownhost does full VPS backups that are really only there for catastrophic failure, and you can't restore files/directories on your own). We currently utilize Exavault for our backups via SSH, and it works well, but here's the rub:

- We can only do incremental backups, and with WHM that means first backing up the entire server locally, and then rsyncing it over to exavault each night. This effective halves our usable disk space.
    - With Exavault being a non-partnered third-party entity, billing and sizing of our backup account is wholly separate from Knownhost. Sure, this isn't that big of a deal, but in terms of the sustainability of our project I think that it would be just peachy to find a good VPS provider who offers either a partnered FTP/SFTP/SSH backup solution, or something along the lines of the R1soft backup solution.

Any thoughts?

- I've run across Liquidweb, and they have a partnered backup solution, but the configuration that would include such is about $95/month which is a little out of our range (Less than $75/month is our target for 512MB RAM, 30GB HDD, and cPanel).

Thanks for your time.

Have you considered CDP based backup solutions?
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Hello there Rick,

Yes! We'd be looking for VPS providers that offer CDP-based solutions as well. I just looked at Softsys's offerings, and they are very tempting. We're hardcore Linux/LAMP people though (our apps are all PHP/MySQL). I'm not really sure what it would entail for us to move to a Windows-based solution.

Thanks.

Hello,

Why not just choose a provider that performs hourly backups with CDP-based backup software? There are plenty out there- just ask them about their backup solutions. Most providers should be performing backups of their systems automatically. Some even perform hourly backups.

Please let me know if you have any questions about CDP technologies. I am very well versed with R1soft CDP solutions.

Thanks!
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Hello AdmoNet,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with WiredTree, and use their FTP account service that can be configured with WHM for rotating backups. I was very interested in CDP-based backup hosts, but most that I found did not give VPS-level users access to CDP. So, even though I've found my solution, I'm sure that there would be those who could benefit from a short list of CDP VPS providers.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by memor21 View Post
    Hello AdmoNet,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with WiredTree, and use their FTP account service that can be configured with WHM for rotating backups. I was very interested in CDP-based backup hosts, but most that I found did not give VPS-level users access to CDP. So, even though I've found my solution, I'm sure that there would be those who could benefit from a short list of CDP VPS providers.

All the best.
    I do not know of any solution that gives access like you want to for VPS's. R1Soft CDP works wonders with cPanel/WHM & Plesk because they can individually restore their files at their every whim. You might want to look into buying a xen vps(Because you can't install r1soft inside an openvz/virtuozzo vps) and then buying r1soft cdp and the cp addon and then add it into cPanel/WHM which would allow your clients, as well as you, to restore files at your discretion.

Actually this sounds like something that could be custom coded for you using rsync. You might also want to ask your potential providers if they are willing to custom code you this kind of backup solution.
    Deasoft.com Aussie & USA VPS, Reseller & Shared Hosting + WHMreseller & DAreseller
    AutoBillMe.com - The Non-PHP Automated Billing Solution for Web Hosts
    WHMreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for cPanel
    DAreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for DirectAdmin

You are obviously not a software coder yourself. I am a developer, custom coding is part of my hosting business and it would not cost thousands.
    Deasoft.com Aussie & USA VPS, Reseller & Shared Hosting + WHMreseller & DAreseller
    AutoBillMe.com - The Non-PHP Automated Billing Solution for Web Hosts
    WHMreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for cPanel
    DAreseller - The first Alpha/Master Reseller Plugin for DirectAdmin