Laptop + Wireless Router = LAN?

Ahoy all.

I hate to ask this, because I bet it's been asked many times before, but I want to start a little class teaching web development at a local night school and I wanted to set up a LAN using my laptop, CentOS, and a wireless router.

The idea is to have the students develop their pages and download files and get used to the idea of what a server is.

I see about ten students sitting in a room, popping open their laptops, logging onto the network, and then pointing their browsers to a certain IP address which would be the home page for the class.

If this is possible, can anybody point me in the right direction to teach myself how to do it?

Many thanks.

Just give the stupids the ip of your laptop... after they are all connected to the router.. its a go...

Also most new laptop's will allow you to create a Access Point using your wireless card.

Im not sure how to do this on CentOS however on Windows I know you just create a new conection and then select AP for the type, im sure this is possible in CentOS aswell. Means you havent gotta worry about extra hardware like a router.
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

u might create an ad-hoc network with your laptop, so u dont even need a router. Your students will see the network and just connect

also everything should be done with static ip addresses, same subnet AND the gateway (for ur students) should be your computer's ip address.

Yes, there are lots of ways you could do it, but if you already have the router then probably the easiest way would be to use it.

In the router setup find the page for dhcp and set your laptop (identified by it's mac address) to have always have the same ip address, outside of the normal dhcp range. eg. many routers use 192.168.x.* (x is 0 or 1) with automatic ip addresses starting from 192.168.x.100. If yours is like this you might give your laptop the static ip 192.168.x.99, and that's what the students would type into their browsers.

The instructions for your router should tell you all you need to know.

Also, make sure you change the router's default password or you can be sure that some smart alec (not necessarily one of your students) will be in there...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rougy View Post
    Ahoy all.

I hate to ask this, because I bet it's been asked many times before, but I want to start a little class teaching web development at a local night school and I wanted to set up a LAN using my laptop, CentOS, and a wireless router.

The idea is to have the students develop their pages and download files and get used to the idea of what a server is.

I see about ten students sitting in a room, popping open their laptops, logging onto the network, and then pointing their browsers to a certain IP address which would be the home page for the class.

If this is possible, can anybody point me in the right direction to teach myself how to do it?

Many thanks.
    I did this many times trainings, better you can ask in private message what exactly you are looking, i am happy to help you in that.
    Thanks,
    Noman
    noman@linuxonsupport.com
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

As far as the actual website what you want is basically LAMP - linux, apache, mysql, php.

Yum can be used to install apache, mysql and php - linux is the centos you run.

There are a lot of LAMP guides out there that are pretty easy to follow to get it running.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service