Thread: Server Hosting

Server Hosting

Ok, so I have a competition coming up and I need to use a server computer to host a social networking site. What would I need computer/program wise? and how would you suggest going about it?

Do you have a budget? a small VPS would be ok, if your not going to instantly get a lot of traffic.

What types of programming languages are you going to use? How resource intensive will the application be? Is it something that you're writing yourself or a script available online? If it's a pre-written script the developer will typically publish server requirements in order for it to function properly.

Windows / Linux? Do you need full root access to the hardware or would a VPS or shared hosting account suffice?
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | CloudFlare Optimized Partner
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Well

I haven't set a budget yet, because it's dependent on donations. But I plan on using PHP with mysql, unless you have another suggestion. I haven't picked an os, but linux or windows would work. I have an idea of what I want to do. But we need to show them the physical server computer at time of competition.

I would suggest a dedicated server. Things like this are not able to be predicted and you want to be prepared. Think about a dedicated server, and if you grow to be very large then think about getting into a cluster.
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

ok, so i'm getting a server computer. Strictly for this project. What software would you recommend for os, coding, construction, etc?

Do you have any *nix experience?

Do you have any coding experience?

When is your project due?

If you answered no to the first two questions and your deadline is less than a year from now, I'd suggest you use a CMS like drupal or joomla to do the heavy-lifting in your application. Both drupal and joomla are php based, and are highly extensible, which will allow you to add bits and pieces of custom behavior to your site while leaving the core functionality and security considerations to the big kids.

And for an admin at any level I'd recommend going with FreeBSD. It's by far the best documented *nix I've ever used. Your mileage may vary. A lot of people choose RHEL or debian derivatives as well. For the love of god, though, don't use Fedora. Please.

And sorry if I've mischaracterized you as a beginner. You did say "server computer," after all . . . can you blame me

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodsl View Post
    Do you have any *nix experience?

Do you have any coding experience?

When is your project due?

If you answered no to the first two questions and your deadline is less than a year from now, I'd suggest you use a CMS like drupal or joomla to do the heavy-lifting in your application. Both drupal and joomla are php based, and are highly extensible, which will allow you to add bits and pieces of custom behavior to your site while leaving the core functionality and security considerations to the big kids.

And for an admin at any level I'd recommend going with FreeBSD. It's by far the best documented *nix I've ever used. Your mileage may vary. A lot of people choose RHEL or debian derivatives as well. For the love of god, though, don't use Fedora. Please.

And sorry if I've mischaracterized you as a beginner. You did say "server computer," after all . . . can you blame me

Well I am a beginner at the development end, but I am a great designer.
    and no to the first two.

I'd recommend just getting a shared hosting account from the sound of your needs