Domain name registering

Where can I find or does anyone have suggestions or good experiences with a trustworthy company that sells domain names. I would like to register a domain name separate from a webhost, where I can assure I am the owner of the domain name. Thanks for any help. I'm new to all this. Greg

For example: namecheap.com, godaddy.com,...Many people have their individual preferences, look in threads for registrar or sth similar to get an overview.
    A good registrar usually gives you control of DNS so you can freely move on if you wish to. Good luck.
    Last edited by Michaelz; 10-21-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: addendum

Thanks. I read some threads where people advised that it's better to separate the two in case there are problems with the host or domain comapnay. So was wondering if there were any established companies with a good track record. Also want to own the domain name in my name.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagit23 View Post
    Thanks. I read some threads where people advised that it's better to separate the two in case there are problems with the host or domain comapnay. So was wondering if there were any established companies with a good track record. Also want to own the domain name in my name.
    Those I mentioned as an example are generally regarded as reliable registrars. But any reliable company can be trusted with domain and hosting, just make sure to not tie the domain name to the life of your hosting account with them. These two should be separated above all, there is a big misunderstanding about this, intentionally or not.

Thanks for the advice :-)

...I would like to register a domain name separate from a webhost, where I can assure I am the owner of the domain name. Thanks for any help. I'm new to all this. Greg
    For a newbie, you hit the nail on the head. Well done.

Again, agreed. I have all my coms, nets and orgs at www.namecheap.com . Great service, user friendly control panel, good pricing.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Again, agreed. I have all my coms, nets and orgs at www.namecheap.com . Great service, user friendly control panel, good pricing.

Vito
    Opposed. For the reasons I stated. You just have to make sure you can move with either domain or hosting without being held in custody. Also speaking from experience.

I have never used NC's hosting service, but over the years, I have never had any issues transferring a domain away from them. Everybody has their own experiences. Sorry to hear you had problems with them.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I can suggest a few registers I have good experiences with and are affordable. Moniker, Mydomain.com and Dotster have all been good to use and I've never had any problems.
    hosting is ongoing

Thanks to everyone to the great tips :-)

Are the registrars listed so far targeted at resellers with large portfolios, or do they have decent pricing for people only looking to buy a few domain names? I am new to this as well and I'm looking for a good registrar for the exact same reason the OP is.

name.com and domainsite.com are the best with free privacy protection and domains less than $9.

I tend to use enom because it has a great api for whmcs
    If you're the smartest person in the room then you're in the wrong room

isn't namecheap a reseller of enom ? I would go with enom.com - one of the largest registrar, great customer area.

Namecheap already get ICANN accreditation, but seems still they are using enom reseller platform.

Although Namecheap seems using enom reseller platform, you can't simply push your domain name from Namecheap account to Enom account, you need generate transfer request in that case- that's what Namecheap staff told me.
    Last edited by bdnero; 10-23-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: correction

yeah, they're not your average reseller, so I would think they work a little differently
    Professional Banner Design
    5 Revisions | Fast Turn Around
    GoodBanners.com