Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this ethical web host practice?

I'll try to give my account as objectively as I can; I'm pretty upset/disappointed with my web host right now.

What I want to know, is Is this how web hosts should treat their customers?

I went on vacation for 10 days, checking online for orders and was surprised to have none. I was always on public computers so, not wanting to enter passwords to my webhost account, I had my sites' emails forwarded to my yahoo email account.

Getting back from vacation, I find that I can't access my sites emails directly. Then I type in my sites url. My site is gone and in its place is a bunch of pay per click adds; with a note on top that the domain has expired.

I'm thinking that I'm paid up for another year, and that surely my web host would never treat me like this so I assume it must be someone pirating my website. But I contact my host and he informs me that I've paid for hosting but the domain had expired, and that the cc I had on file with them had also expired.

At this point I'm somewhat tiffed that they would not only take down my site, but replace it with pay per click adds, but think "hey, certainly they tried to contact me. My email address I have on file with them must be out of date". So I go into cpanel to update it, but no, it is current.

They never even tried to contact me, not even sending an email.

My site had no traffic for a week and a half and is still isn't showing up on google searches. My traffic is down to 1/3 of normal. Seems I've heard that google penalizes sites that are entirely made up of pay per click adds, and I think it likely that my site has been penalized because of my web hosts actions.

It's impossible to determine how much this will end up costing me. I feel that when you hire somebody (i.e. a webhost) they should be on your side, not stab you in the back. I don't know if what they did was illegal, but I certainly think it was unethical.

But what is your take?

Jon

If it is domain that expires, you should have received warning emails. At least I do get them from GoDaddy: warning, your domain expires after xx days, click there to renew it.
    Maybe these emails went to "spam" folder? re-check. Or ask a host if they did sent these emails.
    I think, you may want to change registrar to something more reliable, like Godaddy. And your host's practices are weird. I can't call it unethical: if client knows he will not receive any domain expiring email - customer should decide.

I assume uptime that is very important issue for the google as for any other SE
    I assume you need to move to another web hosting service and ask for the refund.
    I assume that would be fair enough
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-21-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Most hosting companies don't use the email address in cPanel as the main contact for customer accounts. More than likely they have a billing script, you should look for this script and update your email address there.

Also it's pretty normal for registrars to put up ads on expired domains (e.g. I bilieve GoDaddy does this as well). Not saying it is right, but it's unfortuantly the norm. Also I would never recommand GoDaddy as a registrar, just check out nodaddy.com for horror stories. Though generally it's better if you keep your webhost and domain at seperate companies.

Also, there isn't nothing your webhost could of done. Since you had an unpaid invoice for your domain they can't renew until you pay. As they get charged a fee everytime they renew / register / transfer a domain. So they need to wait for you to pay the invoice.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

I'm with Bihira on this one. To put it bluntly, you didn't pay your domain renewal so it expired. Expired domains commonly show the registrar's parking page - the ads page you saw is most likely the standard page for whatever registrar your host uses.

Of course the host should have tried to contact you about the domain expiry and the expired credit card, but I'm betting they did email you about this. For some reason you didn't receive their emails and that's unfortunate, but ultimately it's still your responsibility to keep your details up to date and pay your bills on time.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by sierranomad View Post
    What I want to know, is Is this how web hosts should treat their customers?
    Hey there,

Since it's a domain name issue, it's probably not the host's fault. The reality is that most webhosts resell through a domain name registrar like Enom or Namecheap and the ads are placed on your website by the domain name registrar when your domain name expires, not the host.

I can understand your frustration with the matter though, but it's been the norm for a long time.
    NeutroHost.com - Carbon-Neutral Web Hosting at affordable prices!
    Reliable shared hosting, daily support, and low prices. Contact us at Support@NeutroHost.com

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you find out if your host tried to contact you? I would think at the very least the domain registrar send out a notice, unless your name and email address isn't on the domain. You should make sure that your the registrant contact for any domain you own and keep the contact email address up-to-date at the domain registrar.
    Sphere Web Hosting, LLC.
    █ Experience our Contagious Support™ and 100% Uptime SLA
    We don't just provide support, we care about your success - it's just the way we do things!
    █ Make your life a little easier and visit http://www.spherewebhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by 'NeutroHost [Nix
    Since it's a domain name issue, it's probably not the host's fault. The reality is that most webhosts resell through a domain name registrar like Enom or Namecheap and the ads are placed on your website by the domain name registrar when your domain name expires, not the host.
    In all likelihood this is what happened.
    All domain registrars that I have used, and I have used about 6+ different ones, they notifiy you 60 days, sometimes 90 days in advance that your domain is expiring. That you didn't get an email tells me either those emails went into your spam folder or you used a different email when registering your domain.

The person Jon should be pointing the finger at is HIMSELF.

what your current nameserver register?
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting • R1 Soft • Offsite-Backup • Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

they should be on your side, not stab you in the back. I don't know if what they did was illegal, but I certainly think it was unethical.
    Before you start throwing words like 'unethical' you had better know what you are doing and understand the actualy workings of webhosting and domain registration. Otherwise, you look like an idiot.

My take is that you stabbed yourself in the back unless you for some reason pay for webhosting and domain registration combined.

Quote Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
    Before you start throwing words like 'unethical' you had better know what you are doing and understand the actualy workings of webhosting and domain registration.
    j

This is why I posted the experience and asked if it was unethical, as it seemed to me. It's also why I didn't identify the web host.

There is no need for name calling.

I appreciate the comments about contact emails other than on cpanel. I'm sure that messages didn't get sent to my spam folder, but I'll look for other places they may have my email address on file.

Sincerely,

Jon

Jon, a hard lesson learned, unfortunately.

IMO, (and I know many hosts will hate me for saying this), but I would never register my domain via a web host. I want complete autonomy for the domain registration. Register all your domains directly with an authorized registrar, and then buy your hosting from a web host. Keep them separate. And then make sure you stay on top of your domain renewals to ensure you don't go through this grief again.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

j

This is why I posted the experience and asked if it was unethical, as it seemed to me. It's also why I didn't identify the web host.
    I repeat. No need to use the word 'unethical'.

You should have asked what could have happened and just leave it at that. I have no use for people who hide behind "what do you think?" after they have just accused someone of being 'unethical'. Gutless.

You should have asked what could have happened and just leave it at that. I have no use for people who hide behind "what do you think?" after they have just accused someone of being 'unethical'. Gutless.
    Hey, ease up with your harsh comments. It's not like he gave the name of his web host. If he did, I would agree with you. But he didn't, so take a deep breath and be a bit nicer.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I agree with Vito. In fact, for any domain that is worth anything to you, stick to having it registered at least 1 extra year in advance, so that you can never run into the "domain expired" situation.

PS. Off to check I'm up to date myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vito View Post
    Jon, a hard lesson learned, unfortunately.

IMO, (and I know many hosts will hate me for saying this), but I would never register my domain via a web host. I want complete autonomy for the domain registration. Register all your domains directly with an authorized registrar, and then buy your hosting from a web host. Keep them separate. And then make sure you stay on top of your domain renewals to ensure you don't go through this grief again.

Good luck.

Vito
    Great advice! More people should listen to it.

Hi Jon,

Don't be disappointed and do not blame your web hosting provider. You are responsible for the domain name as it is yours. Even if the hosting provider didn't send a notification you still had to take care of the domain renewal. It is your web address, your property. As far as for the pay per click ads, I think that the domain registrar (or web host if they are ICANN accredited registrar) was the one to point the name servers to page different of your index. This is another way for domain registrars to make money of expired domain names.

So don't blame anyone. Just keep everything into account. A reasonable question would be "Why did I miss to renew my domain name".
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Hey, Don't chew him. I understand what do you mean and he should be more responsible in managing his own web property but at the same time he was obviously confused and playing hawkish on him is not the best we can do here. Otherwise I fully agree with you conclusions.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

but I would never register my domain via a web host
    As a webhost (who also provides domain registration as part of mainstream business)-- I can also say that its a good practice to separate domain registration from the webhosting company. It gives you a higher degree of control. Although there is nothing wrong with keeping them both in the same place, just be sure your domain is with a company that wont disappear overnight.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    I agree with Vito. In fact, for any domain that is worth anything to you, stick to having it registered at least 1 extra year in advance, so that you can never run into the "domain expired" situation.

PS. Off to check I'm up to date myself.
    Also another reason for advanced date registration of a couple years is google! Apparently they take that into account for rankings and what not.

Apparently they take that into account for rankings and what not.
    Interesting argument, and it could make some sense, but has anyone been able to prove that it actually makes a difference? There are too many SEO myths floating around.

Always make sure before you leave for a long period of time (more than a week) that you're up to date with all your invoices. Especially if you won't be logging into certain parts of your account while on vacation. Best of luck to you in the future!
    Whitney Godard - Account Manager
    SingleHop Inc. - www.singlehop.com Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 107

Thanks for all the good advice, and for helping me to see the situation as it really is.

I run a small business by myself, requiring that I wear a number of different hats and "learn" those roles. Resulting in my being a "jack of all trades, master of none".

Glad I asked here, where the "masters" are.

Thanks again,

Jon

Another thing to bring up is that even if your host DOES use the email you have in cpanel, most registrars send the renewal emails to the admin or registrant email on file for the domain, not your hosting account. I see it very often where customers update their hosting contact email but not their domain email and they lose it...

Bottom line...make sure ALL your information is up to date...

A few suggestions as we recommend to our customers.

1) If you're going away for a few days it doesn't hurt to drop your webhost an email to let them know. Think of it as letting the Post Office know. That way they have the proper expectation of your responsiveness and can be on the lookout for irregularities with your account.

2) While I don't think it's a bad practice to register a domain through the webhost, I think the customer should have at least the ability to directly login to the registrar and maintain control (we do this with enom client accounts). There were some recommendations with GDaddy, which I disagree with - but that's another topic. Ask your host which registrar they use.

3) As others have mentioned, you definitely should've received expiration notices via email. Secure your asset! If your domain is important to you then you should register it for multiple years. The price for a 5 year registration is what is was for a single year registration back when registrations were limited to Network Solutions.

4) Keep your domain registrant and auth contacts current. More importantly, keep that registrar login information in a place you'll be able to access it in 5 years. (Lastpass.com, roboform, secondary email, printout in your hidden wall safe - multiple copies)
    consultingmode
    Effective, Personalized Support
    Hosting & Consulting Excellence since 1999!
    Accelerated Professional Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast