migrating from dedicated to load-balanced environment

I'm migrating an environment that is a single web and single DB to a dual web load-balanced with dedicated DB server. My question is about server specs.

I run a dual-core dual-proc (AMD Opteron 270) 2GHz w/ 16GB of RAM currently on the web server and dual-core single-proc (AMD Opteron 246) w/ 4GB of RAM on the DB server.

I am migrating to 2 web servers with 8GB of RAM 3.2GHz single-core dual-proc Intel Xeon. The DB server will also be 8GB of RAM 3.2GHz single-core dual-proc Intel Xeon. Our hosting environment is entirely LAMP (PHP).

In the existing environment, our DB server rarely if ever has CPU spike and never has memory issues. We ran into MySQL max connections a couple times, so we had to tune that up. Our web server occassionally spikes on the CPU when we have heavy traffic as all our sites are PHP-driven with dynamic content (usually cached).

We are also migrating all our static content into a CDN using Rackspace Cloud.

I'm looking for opinions from experienced sys admins out there regarding the old and new environment, and specifically, if the new environment is one that is more scalable. I know that this is limited information to go on, but at least a starting point for a conversation as well as have people ask me questions or point me in the right direction to forecast our growth correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You are probably wise to split the web-layer into separate machines especially if the load seems to be in the PHP/Web tier of the application. Basically you can scale out horizontally by adding more nodes.

What do you use to loadbalance over the webnodes?

Quote Originally Posted by tc211 View Post
    I'm looking for opinions from experienced sys admins out there regarding the old and new environment, and specifically, if the new environment is one that is more scalable. I know that this is limited information to go on, but at least a starting point for a conversation as well as have people ask me questions or point me in the right direction to forecast our growth correctly.

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds like you have made the setup far more scalable. If you lock everything to a single server, your only solution for scale becomes to move everything onto a more powerful box, and at some point that becomes prohibitively expensive and/or simply impossible.

What do you use for load balancing the 2 web servers?

We have used linuxvirtualserver.org (LVS) for about a decade now for our own stuff as well as some client projects and have always found it to be rock solid.