can i install windows 2003 enterprise on Burst net server?? I have my own license...

Hi guys ,

i am thinking to get a server with Brustnet. i do have my own windows 2003 enterprise edition license. i just want to know am i allowed to install my own cd iso with license.

need quick reply.
    TechWacky - The Social Tech Guide - HERE
    ( Currently operate servers with: Wholesale Internet, EvoSwitch, DataShack
    _) Previous servers: Limestone Networks, RapidSwitch, Poundhost, TailorMadeServers, JoesDC

Quote Originally Posted by techwacky View Post
    Hi guys ,

i am thinking to get a server with Brustnet. i do have my own windows 2003 enterprise edition license. i just want to know am i allowed to install my own cd iso with license.

need quick reply.
    I sorry, It is not possible.

As MikeTrike suggested, it's best to contact BurstNet directly instead of asking here unless a BurstNet representative happens to see this article.
    Mean Servers - Mean Business
    █ Denver & Los Angeles - Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    Mean Servers - www.MeanServers.com

Most datacenters partnered with Microsoft cannot allow this due to contract terms unless you own the actual server/hardware (colocation).
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by neXeon View Post
    Most datacenters partnered with Microsoft cannot allow this due to contract terms unless you own the actual server/hardware (colocation).
    Burstnet is an exception, since they have on their order form "Use own OS". As long as you provide proof that you own a legit copy of windows I believe they are okay with it, though I am not a representative so please don't quote me

I have asked the same thing for some months, their answer was: "It is not possible."

Due to microsofts SPLA agreement with hosting companies we are not permitted to install outside keys from the ones issued with our SPLA agreement. Any data center that is a ms partner and tells you they can do it are violating their contract.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

The SPLA does not restrict the use of privately owned licenses.

SPLA/VL media will not work with retail keys, so the only requirement we have at BurstNET for privately owned licenses is that the media be provided by the customer along with the key.

David M. Stein
    <<signatures to be setup in profile>>
    Last edited by sirius; 10-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Since when does SPLA agreement restrict the use of privately owned licenses?

I don't have our SPLA agreement here with me right now but as far as I remember; It does not restrict you.

You can not install the license on your hardware. If the customer is colocating a server and installs their own license that's different. I was told by multiple people at ms and our reseller that we violated our SPLA if we use outside/retail keys on our own servers.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Interesting...

Will check tomorrow and see if that is true, I don't remember anything like that, really!

I have my own VL and I am very interested in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    You can not install the license on your hardware. If the customer is colocating a server and installs their own license that's different. I was told by multiple people at ms and our reseller that we violated our SPLA if we use outside/retail keys on our own servers.
    You cannot use outside/retail keys with Volume License media. That is correct.

However, it does not matter if the key type and media type match and the OS can be activated and fully patched with MS updates.

The SPLA does not act as an umbrella licensing agreement. It only serves as a method to license remotely connecting clients on a pay-as-you-go monthly basis.

If the OS (or one of the other numerous products that can be licensed under the SPLA such as MSSQL) can be licensed using one of Microsoft's various other licensing procedures, then it does not fall under the SPLA and is not in violation.

David M. Stein

<<signatures to be setup in profile>>
    Last edited by sirius; 10-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.