vpsright - fraudulent billing

I signed up for VPSRight several months ago, when they first opened. Many people on this forum warned against it, but I went ahead anyway; I experienced poor service for the first few months, but I stuck through it with them, because they gave me a good deal, and the owner was always very nice and accomodating (his name was John Robson). They have since gotten a new owner (Michael Pearce), and my first encounter with him has been unpleasant.

On the 23rd of August (Sunday), I received a message after an outage stating that all customers would receive their next billing cycle free. My payments are due on the 24th of each month, but the invoices are generated way before that (I get many reminder emails). My August invoice, then, had already been generated by then, and was automatically paid by my Paypal account the next day. Presumably the next invoice would not be generated, or would be generated at a total of $0, to fulfill my free billing cycle.

However, the next invoice came through, and was paid automatically on September 24th. I emailed them on the 17th of October, asking about the free billing cycle. A series of emails ensued in which Michael Pearce simply refused to correct the issue. The last email I sent requested a cancellation of my service, and stated that I would have to assume they're deliberately defrauding me through billing if the issue wasn't correct within some time period. Michael Pearce responded to this saying he would no longer deal with me via the ticket.

I think that's all. I'm about to dispute the transaction through Visa. I'll also look into the approriate agencies in the United Kingdom to file a fraud notice.

Hi there,

I have no affiliation with VPSRight, however, I can explain the reason why your payment was automatically paid via PayPal --

It certainly sounds like you had a PayPal subscription setup which means that payment is automatically taken BY PAYPAL every month on the renewal date. This is out of the hands of VPSRight and they cannot do any actions to a PayPal subscription other than cancel it so it never pays at all.

Regardless of the amount of your invoice being different or no invoice generating, as long as a PayPal subscription is active it will continue to pay the same amount every month until it is canceled.

Best of luck with sorting this out with VPSRight!

-Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    Hi there,

I have no affiliation with VPSRight, however, I can explain the reason why your payment was automatically paid via PayPal --

It certainly sounds like you had a PayPal subscription setup which means that payment is automatically taken BY PAYPAL every month on the renewal date. This is out of the hands of VPSRight and they cannot do any actions to a PayPal subscription other than cancel it so it never pays at all.
    Right, but VPSRight could refund the Paypal transaction.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    Hi there,

Regardless of the amount of your invoice being different or no invoice generating, as long as a PayPal subscription is active it will continue to pay the same amount every month until it is canceled.

Best of luck with sorting this out with VPSRight!

-Daniel
    Yeah, I figured out the subscription thing, and I cancelled that just now.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanhunt View Post
    Yeah, I figured out the subscription thing, and I cancelled that just now.
    So, in future if you wish to control your payment, please make sure don't go for subscription. Make payment manually.
    ControlVM.com :: Cloud Hosting Reliable Xen VPS :: Serving Customer From More Than 40 Countries.
    Hosting Services Available in the USA ● Germany ● Malaysia ● Singapore and Hong Kong

This is never a good sign.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately these things happen and sometimes you just have to plan for the worst and hope for the best. I hope that you resolve this issue and get things sorted out.
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed Cloud Servers in Canada. Join our White Labelled WHMCS Cloud VPS Reseller Program to become your own host!
    SSD Accelerated Cloud | cPanel/WHM | Softaculous | Idera Backups | Bitcoin & Litecoin Accepted

As far as I can observe, they gave you a free billing cycle, but your PayPal subscription went through and probably put a credit on your account.

Not exactly fraud on anyone's part. Just a misunderstanding of how PayPal Subscriptions work. We as hosts have no power over them, except to allow people to create them, and to cancel them ourselves.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

just for the info John Robnson is Micheal Pearce, he hid his id to get a clean shave, u can search about micheal pearce in "wht" and u would know about him
    but I think above issue is just some thing to do with the paypal subscription and some lazyness by the host may b to reply ur tickets,

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    As far as I can observe, they gave you a free billing cycle, but your PayPal subscription went through and probably put a credit on your account.

Not exactly fraud on anyone's part. Just a misunderstanding of how PayPal Subscriptions work. We as hosts have no power over them, except to allow people to create them, and to cancel them ourselves.
    I agree with what you're saying but we do have the ability to refund the transaction or put a credit on the account. Ethanhunt is saying that VPSRight simply refused to fix the issue.
    AdelaideHost - providing shared and VPS hosting.
    Reliability and professionalism at prices that don't hurt your wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    Right, but VPSRight could refund the Paypal transaction.

Regards
    Yeah that is the only possible solution. Most host will do that. But in the paypal subscription case, that can not be considered as their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanhunt View Post
    I signed up for VPSRight several months ago, when they first opened. Many people on this forum warned against it, but I went ahead anyway; I experienced poor service for the first few months, but I stuck through it with them, because they gave me a good deal,
    Here's the part that I really just love. You took the time to do some research it seems and your findings told you not to pull the trigger but you did it anyway b/c you got a "good deal".

I hope you understand that a good deal is more then the monthly price you pay for something. How much is your time worth? Hope you've learned the lesson, quality costs money. If you don't want to pay for quality then don't expect it.

Find a better provider, they obviously don't work with clients.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

VPSRight = WorldOfComputing = VPSWow and several others. Everywhere these guys show up, there are always problems.

Can you post the ticket here. I want to read all of it.

I think Op is leaving parts out.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-ay View Post
    So, in future if you wish to control your payment, please make sure don't go for subscription. Make payment manually.
    Yes and yes ...

I've been with VPSRight almost since they began. And i haven't had any issues like that cos, i manually make the payments and almost always, i never keep credit on my CC so no one can take from it.

And the other thing i can say is if you know what you're doing, you can have good time with even the worst hosts.

Thought vpsWOW was run by the person mentioned in this news article?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...anira_Holdings

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again.

VPSRight = WorldOfComputing = VPSWow and several others. Everywhere these guys show up, there are always problems.

Well , we only heard your side of the story ..

I My Self Have two VPS with Vpsright , and i Can Say i'm very Happy with them , They refunded Me a Month when they had the problem even know my vps did not effected . The Support is Good . I'm realy Suprise about wht u said , but we need to hear vps right Side .

@ all VPS providers who added Comment to this Post , Play Clean , Do not Promot your Service by insulting Other Providers .. I have Nothing to do with VPSright not trying to defind them , but Hat Providers who only Answer to promat thier Service Via thier Signatur.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomdarkness View Post
    Thought vpsWOW was run by the person mentioned in this news article?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...anira_Holdings
    Please note that vpsWOW was bought out by OSHS Ltd over 6 months back.
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | Remote Backup Storage | R1Soft CDP Storage | Cheap Dedicated Servers
    EconDC.com - Enterprise UK Server Colo & Rack Space at Lowest Prices