Moving phpBB hosts.. advice please

We are currently running a phpBB forum on Dreamhost shared hosting and have been getting a lot of Internal Server Errors, so it's time to move to a new host.

We generally have around 200-300 members online (within the last 30 mins). We are using around 2.8TB/month of bandwidth currently. We get around 135,000 visits per month and 470,000 pageviews.

Dreamhost use their own way of measuring database usage..

We've developed a unit of measure that helps to track database performance that we call the "conuery":
    (25 * connections) + queries = Your database's conuery usage
    Our database disk usage us 24mb, we are averaging around 100,000 database connections per day, around 85,000 queries per day and our "Conuery" is around 3 MCn per day (this means nothing to me either lol).

I have found a VPS package with directspace - 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon, 50GB Storage, 2Gb RAM, 2.5GB Burst Ram and 5TB of monthly bandwidth, for $35/month.

Is this likely to be an adequate solution for our needs? We would be running both the database and web services for phpBB from this box.

Also, can anyone give any hints on the best (and most seamless way) to migrate? I'm thinking that we'll get the new host to install all the services and get the box up and running, then I can ftp the files to the new server and export/import the databases. Then perform a (301?) redirect on the old host, pointing to the new IP address until the DNS is updated.

I realise that I'll need to update the config.php for phpbb with the new database details etc, along with the database details for our wordpress implementation and update the server details in the board configuration. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Quim

Quim,

I suggest you make a study of the reliability of the host you are planning to move to . I would prefer a small dedicated server instead of a VPS. The internal servers errors are probably due to the failures in current VPS parameters.

Migration is not a big issue, all you need is the files and the database dump. if you are running a control panel, its more easier ..
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

Thanks for the advice.. the problem we have is cost.. I can't find a dedicated server under around $80/month ($100 for anything reasonable). Another problem is bandwidth.. most hosts offer 500mb-1TB.. we need 4TB really.

I'm sure the errors we are currently experiencing are due to the dreamhist shared hosting limits.. our processes are getting terminated.

I'm finding it somewhat improbable you are doing 2.8TB per month, considering your database is so small. If you're currently hosting images uploaded by your members, you may want to stop doing that, and force them to use image hosting services instead.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

It's not improbable at all. we host many videos, as well as images.

Quote Originally Posted by Quim View Post
    Thanks for the advice.. the problem we have is cost.. I can't find a dedicated server under around $80/month ($100 for anything reasonable). Another problem is bandwidth.. most hosts offer 500mb-1TB.. we need 4TB really.
    Have you searched the dedicated hosting offers forum?

After reading about 12 threads I found the following offer:
    Pentium 4™ 3.0GHZ w/HT 800FSB
    2GB DDR2 Memory
    80GB IDE HDD
    4000GB Bandwidth/Transfer
    5 Dedicated IP Addresses

$59.99 per month
    +$19.95 cPanel or $9.95 for DirectAdmin
    Of course most dedicated servers in the < $100 price range will be unmanaged.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I did see that, but with directadmin, thats $70/month, the vps with cpanel is only $45/month. It's quite a difference.

It's not improbable at all. we host many videos, as well as images.
    You should have your users post images in free image/video hosting websites, no wonder your website drives in too much of traffic for its size
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management

One of the main focuses of the forum is the sharing of videos/images.. The nature of the videos posted mean free video/image hosting would not be appropriate.

Also, most of the videos are uploaded directly to the server by the mods/admins and embedded in posts.

If you are getting the many hits I would go with a dedicated server. For the video part you might want to consider opening a youtube account under your forums name if possible and upload the videos there and post the youtube code insde your forum.

ok.. again.. there is NO WAY ON EARTH that the videos would remain on youtube for more than 5 minutes due to the nature of them.

I guess we will have to look into the dedicated hosting.. i just wasn't sure if that was really necessary at this stage, as we're running on dreamhost shared and only getting some internal server errors from time to time.. I thought maybe a VPS would do..?

I thought maybe a VPS would do..?
    What you're running into is the reality of your usage demands. With 200-300 users online, you probably have quite some CPU and memory usage, which will likely put you out of the budget VPS market. With your data transfer levels, you're typically outside the VPS market, and well into the dedicated server area.

Dreamhost is simply willing to allow your usage, but it doesn't change the fact that you are consuming something like 10+ times more than you're paying for at the moment.

I have found a VPS package with directspace - 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon, 50GB Storage, 2Gb RAM, 2.5GB Burst Ram and 5TB of monthly bandwidth, for $35/month.

Is this likely to be an adequate solution for our needs? We would be running both the database and web services for phpBB from this box.
    I don't know... but I would look at their dedicated servers pricing and try to imagine how many such VPS packages they have to put per server to still make a profit. You're likely to see that it'll probably add up to 20+, which means that no less than 100TB of data transfer will be allocated to that server. Quite a figure.

Unless you need the videos be streamed, you may want to look at offering them as uploads on rapidshare or various other file upload websites.

It may sound somewhat biased, but I will second what ldcdc said about that package for 35$, which is suspiciously low priced, and you'll be lucky if you find a reliable host that gives you 1GB of RAM for that sort of pricing.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

OK guys, thanks for the advice.. I guess I'll look more into the dedicated offerings.

What kind of CPU would I be needing as a bare minimum? I'm thinking 2gb RAM.. would 1 do?

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated!

Would a celeron or atom be underpowered for what we need? I have plenty of experience with servers for applications/domains.. but not web..

Thanks

Would a celeron or atom be underpowered for what we need? I have plenty of experience with servers for applications/domains.. but not web..

Thanks
    logically it would be
    Sam

Thanks guys.

I have requested quotes based on this spec -

Intel/AMD Dual/Quad Core CPU (Or Dual Single Cores etc) 2GHz+. Not Atom, Celeron or Sempron
    2GB RAM
    4TB monthly bandwidth. 100mbps port.
    30GB+ storage.
    Control Panel software (cpanel/directadmin etc, not webmin).

Should that be sufficient for your needs?