Thread: Redesign

Redesign

Hello everyone,

I just redesigned the CoreyMade site. What do you all think?

http://www.coreymade.com
    Last edited by Swelly; 10-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

The ones you made for your clients are definitely much better ! I think I spotted one small typo: "accessable" at the bottom right corner.

Best
    Joe
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

Hey Corey,

I think I liked your previous site a little more, the one with the wood tones. It felt like it had more personality. I think you've done a good job of creating a nice, clean site, nice colors, well placed/spaced text, but there's some contrast lost between this version and the last one that I think is missing. It's all very beige/sand/vanilla - well constructed, but it just doesn't feel like it's shouting your character, personality and capabilities.

The code looks like it's pretty well constructed. Usually you're forced to accept some degree of bloat when you use an off-the-shelf app, but it looks like you've kept this to a minimum, and for the convenience of having an admin interface to edit your site, I'd say you're doing just fine in this area!

Out of curiosity, what's the school of thought behind using an image map versus just a standard link for linking your logo to the home page of your site? If there's a specific benefit to this, I want in on it (I'm always looking for coding tips and techniques, as you know)
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Now that is a review!

I wanted to target a different market segment, which was why I opted to go from the vector based wood panels to a more elegant, less vector based site. Depending on the amount of response I get from clients will determine if I continue to use this same form of layout during 2010.

Also, I tend to use image maps to target a specific area on an image that will be clickable. The logo image is quite large and I didn't want the whole image to be clickable, only the text, which is why I use image maps. Other than that, there is no real benefit to using them over traditional image links.

Thanks for the review though, very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Hey Corey,

I think I liked your previous site a little more, the one with the wood tones. It felt like it had more personality. I think you've done a good job of creating a nice, clean site, nice colors, well placed/spaced text, but there's some contrast lost between this version and the last one that I think is missing. It's all very beige/sand/vanilla - well constructed, but it just doesn't feel like it's shouting your character, personality and capabilities.

The code looks like it's pretty well constructed. Usually you're forced to accept some degree of bloat when you use an off-the-shelf app, but it looks like you've kept this to a minimum, and for the convenience of having an admin interface to edit your site, I'd say you're doing just fine in this area!

Out of curiosity, what's the school of thought behind using an image map versus just a standard link for linking your logo to the home page of your site? If there's a specific benefit to this, I want in on it (I'm always looking for coding tips and techniques, as you know)

If it helps any, I don't think anyone will be offended by the new design or will think it's anything less than nice and well put-together. It just doesn't feel like it has that Corey signature touch on it, that's all

Thanks for explaining the image map. That's definitely a lot better solution than something like chopping up your logo and only linking one portion of it. Makes sense!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Well thank you very much! I am going to be adding some more elements to the homepage and changing things around on the portfolio page, as I am getting MUCH better portfolio entries coming up in the next month.

Yes, try the image maps as they are super good at defining clickable areas on large images.

Looking good Corey!
    Sam Asante ~ Web & User Interface Designer ~ SamAsante.com
    World-Class cPanel Themes
    Responsive WHMCS Themes

Terrific! Another clean design.

I'd say the only thing is the link colors in your footer look a little too subdued on my mac but that's probably just me.

Love the stitching on the logo border.
    consultingmode
    Effective, Personalized Support
    Hosting & Consulting Excellence since 1999!
    Accelerated Professional Hosting

Terrific! I REALLY love the font/image/logo at the top (http://www.coreymade.com/images/logo.jpg). .

very good design, super!