Server Load Questions. (Hard Question)

Okay guys, Here's what i want to know. Lets see if you are on top of your game.

Say i own a large vbulliten forum.

Heres what i want to set up

2-3 web servers (With 1 in a different dc)
    2-3 mysql servers (With 1 in a different dc)
    1 mail server
    1 back up server

(So like 8 servers.)

1. How do i make all the files the same on the 3 web servers? (Remember one is in a different DC)
    (For exapple if one fails i want the dns or something to send it to the other servers in other DC)
    2. How to set up 2-3 different webservers with vbulliten, how would the load balanceer work?
    3. How to set up the web servers to work in a different DC with vbulliten?
    4. How to set up mysql to work with 2-3 servers. Now how to set up to work with the one in a different DC?
    5. How would i set up the mail server?
    6. How would i set up the back up server, and auto back up in the night.

P.S You might want to quote to make sure all the questions was answered. And keep in mind vbulliten forum

Please and Thank You!

There are many, many ways to achieve what you want to achieve. Sticking with free and open source software, the solution with the lowest maintenance overhead would likely be drbd. It basically mirrors your server over the network. Think of it as doing what raid-1 does for disks, but for an entire machine. This is somewhat wasteful, however, since AFAIK drbd only works in an active/passive configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You could also try doing things at the application level, for instance master-master replication for mysql (or master-slave, depending on whether you'd like to have an active/active setup for performance reasons). For the web-servers, since the dynamic portion of your content is likely database driven, simply copying the same config across all of your servers and having them connect to your replicated databases may be sufficient (in coordination with your load balancing scheme . . . see below).

As for deciding what traffic goes where, this is a job for a load balancer. Your options here will depend on your OS.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodsl View Post
    There are many, many ways to achieve what you want to achieve. Sticking with free and open source software, the solution with the lowest maintenance overhead would likely be drbd. It basically mirrors your server over the network.
    DRDB has some horrible latency with cross data center links. It can cause many deadly issues. It's best to go the master-master route although it isn't free of issues either.

Notmove, do you have your own staff that will manage the cluster?

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

I understand this is not a direct answer to your question, but have you considered moving this onto an existing cluster such as the rackspace offering? should be cheaper while letting you leverage their expertise and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I understand this is not a direct answer to your question, but have you considered moving this onto an existing cluster such as the rackspace offering? should be cheaper while letting you leverage their expertise and resources.
    I don't see how using rackspace could possibly be cheaper than using free software if the OP has technicians on staff or is technically capable himself.

Yeah, i was just looking for info on how to set it up... more then anything as well i am looking for a host that can do this maybe to.