Protecting Your Web Pages

Hey, Ever had someone RIP your site template or theme or images?

I think I have a little solution for that or lets say a little thing that can stop them from doing it, Im not saying it can completly stop them but make them do extra work on it or they don't know a way around it.

Heres The Problem:

People or kids going around taking templates off the web right off your web site without know any password to cpanel or a control panel!

Heres What You Can To Do Stop It or Try To.

1. Put a blank index.html file in your images folder and style also js folders, Any folders that people don't need to go into that is just used to store or keep sertant images or scripts in like a addon more like.

What this will do is make it so that then the images folder or what ever folder you put the blank html file in will show just a while page and not all the files that are in that directory.

How Dose That Stop People?

In stead of them clicking ever file image and saving it they'll need to find the url of the image and type it in the url box on there browser then save it. Try it your sefl on your own site and you'll see what I mean.

I also forgot to add if your wondering if they just get all the images all they do is right click on the index.html of your main page or like the about.html page and click view source and copy that big code save it as a what ever type of name page they want and tere they go they have your template..

Im trying to figure a way on how to stop people from do this threw the view source like maybe if you write your pages in php it could stop them andputting blan index.html pages in your folders tat arent needed.

Site downloading software makes that index page idea pointless. Using one of those, someone could grab your whole site in minutes.

A better solution is to watermark or insert something tiny into some of the images so you can later prove they are yours. You can't stop them being stolen, but you can make them less valuable to a thief...or at least provable they are yours.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

If someone wants your work, they will find a way to get it. Just publish and add multiple graphics into your work that identifys your website or business. Watermarks are recommended, i dont bother with stuff like that no more, people can tell what work is custom and what is not.
    RackRhino Server Locations: MO, MI, NY, FL, UK
    Shared, Dedicated, Managed & Reseller.

Print Screen

My computer keyboard has a "Print Screen" button on it.

Copy and paste!
    sohoUniverse.com - Premium Soholaunch Hosting
    AUTHORIZED SOHOLAUNCH PROGRAMMING PARTNER
    A Proud Member of the Web Business Alliance

You can't prevent someone from stealing your site only make it a little more difficult. Anyone who wants it will get it. Just take it as a compliment if you find out and send a cease and desist order.

my web browser has a file save button on it. stop that.

site ripping cannot be stopped full stop.

even coding an app and encoding it can be undone by the best of the best.

at the end of the day if somone wants somthing there get it. there are only procedures to slow them down.

rule of thumb - if somone is that precious(sp), dont put it on the internet.

You must use your own strategies to protect himself, because if use anyone else strategy you don't did it was succesful protection or not...

nice i haved try it and helpfull

You can always convert all the images to flash, and encrypt the html using javascript hashing. That way when you view source all you get is "decode("#12#74");"...

There are some ways to make it so that your images and what not are password protected.

Were talking about complex PHP programs that only call for images when requested and get a username and password.

That's typically one easy way to do it, and that does work as I've seen a website that had that solution on it.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

as long as you are displaying your images on the browser, and there is a "Print Screen" button in my keyboard, you cannot protect your images 100%.

PHP scripting and other methods will prevent other people to direct link to your content (AKA leeching).

The easiest method is to watermark them, imho.
    Closed for winter...

This might help http://www.copyscape.com/ but the only thing you can do is send a DMCA notice as far as I know and hope for the best.

Javascript can prevent people from right clicking but that does not help very much. You can turn java script off and steal the images.

You need to be careful with some methods of protection! What use is having a website that difficult to rip but to achieve it, you kill off browser compatibility, SEO & usability?
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Hi Gregorio,

Nice advice! I never thought of it. Unfortunately nothing would completely prevent anyone from copying content. Even a registered trademark. It helps a lot if anyone in the same jurisdiction is infringing your trademark, but there are many scenarios when you can not do much. But i still recommend to anyone to register their websites and brands as trademarks.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

It happened to me where someone copied a complete site. Not only that, the company actually copied most of the logo and used a simular company name!

There is little one can do about this. Fortunatly this company did not have a very long life.

BTW a better option is to use .htaccess to prevent people from listing directories. But as stated above, if someone wants to copy that will not help much.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Width View Post
    BTW a better option is to use .htaccess to prevent people from listing directories.
    Better method would be to deny it server wide and allow individual sites to allow it if they want.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

You are right Bear.
    I meant it as a quick solution to avoid simple directory listing.

JV