Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Wall View Post
    Per server? A lot!

You could build them cheaper just go buy a bunch of Core2Duo's.
    That doesn't tell me anything man.... How many is a lot?
    I guess your not gonna help me on software either huh?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ12Gamer View Post
    I guess your not gonna help me on software either huh?
    You'd run out of disk space now that I am looking at it, UNLESS you used RAID 0(Not recommended). Then you'd have roughly 3.6TB of usable space after partitioning & OS.

*builds another config really quickly with more disk space*

Man, i suggest you to find an IT consultant for this biz before you go in.-

You'd run out of disk space now that I am looking at it, UNLESS you used RAID 0(Not recommended). Then you'd have roughly 3.6TB of usable space after partitioning & OS.

*builds another config really quickly with more disk space*
    THANKS Jacob Wall!

http://bittraffic.com/?cmd=seedbox

save some cash.

buy here.

tell them KingPin & PuttsMoBiles sent you.

talk to noonie.

they have been around sense 2005 and are goin strong.
    Personal Blog - danhiorns.us

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentialServers View Post
    >>snip<<
    Someone didn't read the rules.

Roughly all for ~$8,000 USD. Approximate usable space: 43.2TB
    I really appreciate it man! So how many users can be on this specs? Do I need to get 10 of these?

Assume one active user per 10mbps of server bandwidth.

So with 1 gbps, you can have up to 100 active users.

I really appreciate it man! So how many users can be on this specs? Do I need to get 10 of these?
    10 of those would cost you over $80,000 USD and you mine as well at that point go invest in SAN, etc.

You would have so much IO, I don't think you'd know what to do. Let's just say, at least 200-400 probably. But remember you'd need to have like a 10Gige drop which will cost you roughly 4x as much as that server, PER MONTH :O

-Jacob

Congratulations on your recent fiscal luck! $35,000 is a nice little endowment in these recent economic circumstances. You're definitely on the right track with wanting to use that money to start a business. HOWEVER... I think you misunderstand how the industry works.

In order to run the "seedbox" (it's a new term to me, really) you're talking about, you could easily use up all of that $35,000... but you wouldn't just use it up once. You'd easily pay $35,000 per month for every month that you want to run this little operation.

Expect to pay $12,000+ for just a used Cisco router capable of reliably handling 10Gbps continuous throughput. As for the machines themselves, your bill would probably be in the range of $3-4k per machine.

At current Hurricane Electric (he.net) rates, expect to pay at least $2/Mbps. Therefore, one GigE = $2,000/month baseline. That makes a minimum of $20,000/month for a 10Gbit circuit.

Your provider might be nice and let you take a chunk of their IP allocations, but depending on how many IPs you need they might tell you to go straight to ARIN/RIPE/APNIC, which means another hefty fee for having your own IP block.

You should expect to fill at least one rack in a datacenter. That's probably going to run you at least $1000/month, and with that rack only half full and half utilized you'd still be using a few kWs on at least a 30A circuit.

I'd suggest that if you're still interested in such a venture... start small! One dedicated box running at 100Mbps is all you need when you're just starting out, and even that may be overkill. Try not to get in over your head because you think you need the latest, greatest and fastest to be better than anyone else. A Ford Fiesta with a full tank will always beat a Viper SRT10 running on empty!
    Last edited by danclough; 10-19-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    "When a man begins to doubt himself, he does something incredibly stupid and thereby is reassured."
    ::http://www.dustytech.net/:: Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by RedTorch View Post
    Congratulations on your recent fiscal luck! $35,000 is a nice little endowment in these recent economic circumstances. You're definitely on the right track with wanting to use that money to start a business. HOWEVER... I think you misunderstand how the industry works.

In order to run the "seedbox" (it's a new term to me, really) you're talking about, you could easily use up all of that $35,000... but you wouldn't just use it up once. You'd easily pay $35,000 per month for every month that you want to run this little operation.

Expect to pay $12,000+ for just a used Cisco router capable of reliably handling 10Gbps continuous throughput. As for the machines themselves, your bill would probably be in the range of $3-4k per machine.

At current Hurricane Electric (he.net) rates, expect to pay at least $2/Mbps. Therefore, one GigE = $2,000/month baseline. That makes a minimum of $20,000/month for a 10Gbit circuit.

Your provider might be nice and let you take a chunk of their IP allocations, but depending on how many IPs you need they might tell you to go straight to ARIN/RIPE/APNIC, which means another hefty fee for having your own IP block.

You should expect to fill at least one rack in a datacenter. That's probably going to run you at least $1000/month, and with that rack only half full and half utilized you'd still be using a few kWs on at least a 30A circuit.

I'd suggest that if you're still interested in such a venture... start small! One dedicated box running at 100Mbps is all you need when you're just starting out, and even that may be overkill. Try not to get in over your head because you think you need the latest, greatest and fastest to be better than anyone else. A Ford Fiesta with a full tank will always beat a Viper SRT10 running on empty!
    OMFG RedTorch! That's the kind of info I need to use on my little project! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTorch View Post

Awesome post, great explanation.

Couldn't have said it better!

To the thread owner: Just like RedTorch said, you should start small.

10 of those would cost you over $80,000 USD and you mine as well at that point go invest in SAN, etc.

You would have so much IO, I don't think you'd know what to do. Let's just say, at least 200-400 probably. But remember you'd need to have like a 10Gige drop which will cost you roughly 4x as much as that server, PER MONTH :O

-Jacob
    ?!?! SO I only need to buy the specs you provided once not 10 to get 100 users right and happy?

Lol, it seems like the OP still doesn't get it.

The OP needs to get the basics down first. Is this a joke or what? $35,000 seedbox for pirated/copyright material 90% of the time.

I would recommend sticking the majority of that money in a six month CD and then see about either taking a class or at least reading up and doing a very thorough investigation of what you would like to do.

Hosting is not something easily learned on the fly, heck you can rent a server for $80/mo or less and play around and learn that way but you should certainly increase your understanding of what you want to do and your expectation of how to reach that goal before you just throw money at it.

Just my $0.02. But it looks like the OP has successfully got WHT to do his homework/assignment . Congrats, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    You started rich. :-)

I started with $100 and a CommuniTech.net reseller account, before VPSes even existed... it certainly CAN be done, though if you're new to the industry, I highly recommend starting small, learn the ropes, and then grow as you can, as I certainly made my share of mistakes early on.
    We started with $100 and a phpwebhosting.com shared hosting account, moved onto a rackshack box, to reselling dedicateds, to colo, to our own facility

It's kind of funny how many of us there are in this current market that went from the 1-account/1-server start to where we are now.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    Just my $0.02. But it looks like the OP has successfully got WHT to do his homework/assignment . Congrats, well played.
    Haha Thanks! LOL

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    We started with $100 and a phpwebhosting.com shared hosting account, moved onto a rackshack box, to reselling dedicateds, to colo, to our own facility

It's kind of funny how many of us there are in this current market that went from the 1-account/1-server start to where we are now.
    I'm starting to think I should try this out after doing some research and reading other peoples post! Get he car and start small! But I still want people to help me out in this matter. Is there a sweet how-to guide or something on this forum or another site? Thanks in advance!

And if your really looking for xGbps bandwidth I know a company that is opening their own facility so you probably can get a good quote

P.S Try to make friends online that know a lot about webhosting and servers related you will learn a lot about webhosting through your friends. Well that's how I got increase my knowledge about servers and hosting and some coding.
    Last edited by Mashii; 10-20-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mash-e1 View Post
    And if your really looking for xGbps bandwidth I know a company that is opening their own facility so you probably can get a good quote

P.S Try to make friends online that know a lot about webhosting and servers related you will learn a lot about webhosting through your friends. Well that's how I got increase my knowledge about servers and hosting and some coding.
    Haha.... I have a company that's opening their new facility too and already got a good quote.... And your right I should make friends.... But not online.... I got some people I know from a local college to help me out on this little project I'm doing....

I messed up in the last post.... It seems I can't edit it after 15 mins. But it's suppose to say, "I have found a company that's opening their new facility too and already got a good quote...." So yea.... Just wanted to clear that up a bit....

And anyone got any good recommendations on software for a SeedBox other than torrent software? Like security, virus protection, firewall, visualization software for a server? And anything else I missed? Thanks....

Also I'm starting to consider getting Premium Membership with all the good help I'm getting from everyone! But one thing I need to ask.... Is it worth it?

I messed up in the last post.... It seems I can't edit it after 15 mins. But it's suppose to say, "I have found a company that's opening their new facility too and already got a good quote...." So yea.... Just wanted to clear that up a bit.... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

And anyone got any good recommendations on software for a SeedBox other than torrent software? Like security, virus protection, firewall, visualization software for a server? And anything else I missed? Thanks.... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/images...es/biggrin.gif

Also I'm starting to consider getting Premium Membership with all the good help I'm getting from people! But one thing I need to ask.... Is it worth it? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/images...s/confused.gif
    Firewall - CSF
    Virtualization - Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VMWare ESXi
    Software - uTorrent / Torrentflux?
    Security - Wouldn't that be covered in Firewall?

If you want to give back to iNET, go buy a premium membership but in all honesty I don't find it worth it to get a premium membership. I can find better ways to spent $50. I've spoken to many people, it really doesn't boost sales, etc, if that's what your thinking it might do. Again, this is what I have received from other premium members and my personal opinion. Please don't bash.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast