Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by ghost
    I really don't understand what they do with $1. Is it possible they want only credit card number?
    They said they charged the $1 because it's one of the ways they verify the validity of the credit card.

This is not a new concept. PayPal does (or used to) do the same thing. They would deposit a few cents into your bank account and you would have to wait until it showed up and then tell PayPal the amount they deposited. This is how they verified that you had an active bank account.

The methods differ, but the principle is the same.
      0 Not allowed!

Lypha Review #1

Lypha's website said account setup took 6 hours. The confirmation email they immediately sent me said I'd have my account info within 24 hours. I signed up at 4:52pm EST yesterday...

At first I was annoyed that after I gave all that info, they snuck in an additional 18 hour grace period for themselves for account setup. I don't like surprises, especially those kind. Upon seeing that discrepancy, my red flags went up...but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. I would have preferred the 6 hour mark, but I allowed them the leeway.

As of this writing, I am on hour # 21. They have yet to send my account info to my primary or secondary email addresses.

They say they have 24 hour customer support, so I sent them a support ticket last night, after 7 hours passed, asking them how long would it really be before my account was setup and my information sent to me (it was really polite). They have NOT answered my support ticket, yet.

So, now I'm getting leery...but I'm really hoping they come thru, but if not at 4:52pm my time (approx. 2 hrs and 40 minutes from now), if I don't hear anything from them, I'm cancelling my order.

I learned my lesson from my first host (name withheld). If things aren't done correctly from the jump, then how much better do I expect them to get??

C'mon...don't let me down Lypha. You still have a window of opportunity left.
      0 Not allowed!

They have a interesting business concept. It will be more interesting to see if they can pull it off. It's a volume game to them now. I am anxious for these reviews!
      0 Not allowed!

LYPHA CAME THROUGH!!!

I am HAPPY to report that Lypha did come through with my account info! With time to spare on their 24 hours, too.

Not only did they come through, but because of the delay, I received an additional month FREE. I will not be charged anything until January 19th, 2003!!

Hello Rxxxxxx,

Your account has been created. Furthermore, I have modified the invoice to show only $1 setup charge, instead of $8.95. Furthermore, due to the delay you will be receiving an additional free month, thus you will have 2 months free. The next renewal date is 19/01/2003.

Regards,
    Tom
    Lypha Networks

Off to do my thing...but I'll be back in 2 months with a review (sooner if I need to).

-Evolved

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by evolved

They said they charged the $1 because it's one of the ways they verify the validity of the credit card.

This is not a new concept. PayPal does (or used to) do the same thing. They would deposit a few cents into your bank account and you would have to wait until it showed up and then tell PayPal the amount they deposited. This is how they verified that you had an active bank account.

The methods differ, but the principle is the same.
    So I am changing my question, Why do they need to verify credit cards? Free means free, don't need credit card for free. Wrong???
      0 Not allowed!

So I am changing my question, Why do they need to verify credit cards? Free means free, don't need credit card for free. Wrong???
    I don't know, why don't you send them an email and ask them? They have American and Australian offices with phone numbers. If it's bothering you that much, go find out for yourself.

Technically, you are correct, it's not free if it's costing a buck...but we're only talking about a dollar. Yes, they should change their wording, but it's not that big a deal...they DID disclose what they were doing, so I'm cool. I read the explanation and I didn't have a problem with it, and apparently neither do the others that sign up (whether or not they post here).

<removed>

If you don't like it, then don't do business with them, it's as simple as that. Otherwise, drop 'em a note or give 'em a call or fax, and find out for yourself. If you don't want to do that, then be quiet. Let the folks who put their money where their mouths are be the ones to complain, okay?

It's not my intention to offend you, and I'm sorry if I did, but you annoyed me.
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:22 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by evolved

I don't know, why don't you send them an email and ask them? They have American and Australian offices with phone numbers. If it's bothering you that much, go find out for yourself.

Technically, you are correct, it's not free if it's costing a buck...but we're only talking about a dollar. Yes, they should change their wording, but it's not that big a deal...they DID disclose what they were doing, so I'm cool. I read the explanation and I didn't have a problem with it, and apparently neither do the others that sign up (whether or not they post here).

<removed>

If you don't like it, then don't do business with them, it's as simple as that. Otherwise, drop 'em a note or give 'em a call or fax, and find out for yourself. If you don't want to do that, then be quiet. Let the folks who put their money where their mouths are be the ones to complain, okay?

It's not my intention to offend you, and I'm sorry if I did, but you annoyed me.
    CALM DOWN!!!!!

I am not attacking you, and don't ask just only you. I try to understand their style. I am not interesting in only a dollar, I am interesting in the happening when the credit cards stollen.

Since now please read all the posts carrefully, and DO NOT BE RUDE
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:23 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

CALM DOWN!!!!! .......

....... and DO NOT BE RUDE
      0 Not allowed!

If you think about it that 1 dollar charge allows them to verfiy more than just a valid credit card. But validating that credit card is rather important as it allows them alot of access to what they need.

By Validating your credit card they know that you can in the future pay for larger plans, thus confirming that you are an actual profitable investment for the free hosting. They can also see a few things(which these are just assumptions) credit history(good or bad) age possibly and such to see if you are indeed a worth while investment with thier free plan. Or yoiu could look at the 1 dollar charge as a way that they can get some money to support this free hosting in some way or another.
    LipWeb.Net
    "Less Lip More Service"
    Providing Quality Hosting at Fair Prices
    AIM: LipWebNet MSN: daniel[at]lipweb.net [color=red]
      0 Not allowed!

I signed up with them yesterday at 10am, and got their auto responder saying that I will be up and running in 24 hours. Well, it has now been 30 hours... This is not making me think good things here. In fact I am a tad irked... If I do not hear anything by tomorrow, I will be calling my credit card company. Grrrr
      0 Not allowed!

Another reason for the $1 charge could be to keep away the majority of warez kids looking for free hosting..
      0 Not allowed!

Good point Kevin
    LipWeb.Net
    "Less Lip More Service"
    Providing Quality Hosting at Fair Prices
    AIM: LipWebNet MSN: daniel[at]lipweb.net [color=red]
      0 Not allowed!

<removed: you're being rude>
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:27 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Eclypse
    I signed up with them yesterday at 10am, and got their auto responder saying that I will be up and running in 24 hours. Well, it has now been 30 hours... This is not making me think good things here. In fact I am a tad irked... If I do not hear anything by tomorrow, I will be calling my credit card company. Grrrr
    I know how you feel. They got my account info to me with only an hour to spare on the 24 hours...talk about the nick of time, LOL. You should get some kind of compensation for the delay...maybe a free month--that's what I got.

They are probably overloaded right about now. You could try (if you already haven't) going to the website and sending a polite but business-minded support ticket...or two. That's what I did. I didn't get an answer, but I think the fact that I was monitoring them made them work to get my account setup in time.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Hope things work out for you, soon.
      0 Not allowed!

<removed: OT>
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:27 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:28 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Are you guys going to whip it out now, and see who can whiz farther? Grow up, damn.

OK, it has been 56 hours, I have sent them 5 e-mails, the last 2 were not so nice, but completely professional. I am now sending them my 6th telling them to cancel my order completely. They came back with that weak form letter saying that they got swamped in the past couple of weeks, and they would offer me another free month... on top of what, the free service they were going to give me? These people are a BIG avoid on my list, and I will make sure everyone who asks me, knows that.
      0 Not allowed!

Now, as for Lypha. I already told them to cancel my order. You're better than me, because I wouldn't have waited 56 hours before cancelling. I cancelled mostly because they've not answered any of my support tickets (except for one) in the 3 days I've been with them. They can keep the dang dollar for all I care. And hey, at least you did get a message from them, no matter how sorry it was. I ain't got sh** from 'em. And at this point, there is NOTHING they can do to keep my business. NADA.
    Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:29 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Last edited by Chicken; 11-27-2002 at 02:29 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

i cant believe people are complaining over this service . It costs a freaking dollar . As far as setup time goes , I would consider myself lucky if it was setup in 72 hours . And Eclypse , You payed them a dollar , what do you expect . You're going to bad mouth a business because they got busy because of this wht announcement . Im sure they rather have people like yourself avoid them , you're more trouble then what it is worth .
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings!

Hmmm... this is just my opinion. I may be wrong. I hope someone from that hosting provider comes down here.

At any rate, here is my observation:

1. They get the one-dollar to verify that you are a valid credit-card holder and that there is a chance that you will order their standard reseller plan later.

2. After a number of days you found out that support is not that great. So you think you cancel your account. It is ok for you since it is only one dollar. What the heck...

3. But, here is the question, what if there are a thousand or more people who had actually undergone the same experience? Then, they get a thousand dollar or more? Sounds like a scam, but I could be wrong.

Take care you guys!

EDIT: Something to really look into and beware I guess.
    Last edited by Ganah ALLAN; 11-22-2002 at 08:06 PM.
    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by case
    i cant believe people are complaining over this service . It costs a freaking dollar . As far as setup time goes , I would consider myself lucky if it was setup in 72 hours . And Eclypse , You payed them a dollar , what do you expect . You're going to bad mouth a business because they got busy because of this wht announcement . Im sure they rather have people like yourself avoid them , you're more trouble then what it is worth .
    Case,

You're mistaken. The hosting does not cost $1. The hosting plan I signed up for cost $9 a month.

Lypha has a promo running giving the first month free on shared plans. In reality, they're charging $1...they say it's to verify the credit card (even though the billing company they use does that). The result is that the first month isn't really free, it costs a buck (the promo).

But, at any rate, the FACT remains that after the first month, your plan's REGULAR monthly rate kicks in.

It's not uncommon for web hosts to run promotions of this type to lure new customers. So, you have to admit that there was nothing unusual about this offer (with the exception of them not wording the $1 charge correctly).

So, please, refrain from insulting others due to your own ignorance. It would have taken you just 5 minutes to go to Lypha's website to find out the facts for yourself. But, instead of doing that and knowing what you were talking about, you decided to insult us...and in the process, you have to now remove your foot from your mouth.

Again, the hosting packages are not "just" $1. It was a marketing ploy. Now...how does shoe polish taste?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast