Remote Support Software/Service?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, and if not, I apologize and please move it to the appropriate one. =)

I am looking for a remote service/software, that will allow us to login to a customers pc at their request in order to help them troubleshoot an issue. Would be nice to be able to share our screen with them as well. Hoping to find something that works with Windows and OSX, and doesnt require the customer to have any type of membership or signup with any type of service to use it. I would prefer that they did not have to install anything either (unless its some very basic browser plugin). I have no problem with them running a temporary app that doesnt install anything though. I am open to using a service or self hosted solution (no overpriced appliances though) and hopefully reasonably priced.

Any ideas? Thanks!

mstsc(windows) and rdesktop (linux) are two tools to login to windows systems and the windows has inbuilt system for managing the other users console. Not sure whether you are looking for a web based solution...
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

LogMeIn Rescue perhaps?
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by activelobby4u View Post
    mstsc(windows) and rdesktop (linux) are two tools to login to windows systems and the windows has inbuilt system for managing the other users console. Not sure whether you are looking for a web based solution...
    Well, this is going to be used for one time uses for the most part with a client. I am not looking for vnc or rdp type solutions where we need to configure a firewall and or software for that unique client just to get this to work. If were working with a client and they have an issue like not being able to setup their outlook or cpanel webdav account, etc. We want to be able to login to their PC within minutes and remotely help them troubleshoot the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    LogMeIn Rescue perhaps?
    Yeah, i have looked into that, but its a bit hefty of a price for a smaller company like mine. I am not sure how often is going to be used, so $130 a month is a bit high. Hoping to find something less than $30 or $40 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    Yeah, i have looked into that, but its a bit hefty of a price for a smaller company like mine. I am not sure how often is going to be used, so $130 a month is a bit high. Hoping to find something less than $30 or $40 a month.
    free version of logmein

send user the link they put that in on there browser and it downloads a very small / light app and they choose the pc name. job done.

they can either leave this app running all the time or launch it when they want support.

You could look at the free version of this web-based service myivo.com, but I believe it only works with Windows based PC's.

-Chris
    www.postasite.net- Affordable, Reliable U.S/U.K Web Hosting.
    Cpanel | Domain Name Registration | SSL Certificates.
    In business since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by postasite View Post
    You could look at the free version of this web-based service myivo.com, but I believe it only works with Windows based PC's.

-Chris
    That doesnt seem to fit my needs that i listed. Thanks anyway.

Also, i am seeing that some of the solutions out there require ya to use a windows server to host it and since were a linux shop server wise, we just dont feel the need to setup a windows box just for that purpose.

might have a look at teamviewer, not too sure if it will suit what you need, but worth a look imo
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

I was going to suggest team viewer I use it from time to time help friends and family out remotely

Sorta off topic now...

Does anyone know of a cheaper HARDWARE based solution, such as bomgar

http://www.bomgar.com/
    Best Regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, and if not, I apologize and please move it to the appropriate one. =)

I am looking for a remote service/software, that will allow us to login to a customers pc at their request in order to help them troubleshoot an issue. Would be nice to be able to share our screen with them as well. Hoping to find something that works with Windows and OSX, and doesnt require the customer to have any type of membership or signup with any type of service to use it. I would prefer that they did not have to install anything either (unless its some very basic browser plugin). I have no problem with them running a temporary app that doesnt install anything though. I am open to using a service or self hosted solution (no overpriced appliances though) and hopefully reasonably priced.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    http://showmypc.com/hosting/hosting-prices.html

Works great, can use your own domain.

Good luck
    || One Avenue Networks ||
    cPanel & Parallels Pro Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Hosting | Server Colocation
    Non-Oversubscribed Bandwidth | Non-Oversubscribed Servers | 99.9% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by oneavenue View Post
    http://showmypc.com/hosting/hosting-prices.html

Works great, can use your own domain.

Good luck
    Do you actually use them?

Wow, they dont even know how to run a functional website and i am supposed to trust them with remote support software to serve my clients? I dont think so. They only take paypal and they run adsense on their site, which advertises competitors products. There is no way they know what they are doing. Thats pathetic.

http://www.toktumi.com/desktopShare.aspx works well with their desktop sharing solution. All web-based no installation and incredibly cheap.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

You can try CrossLoop

http://www.crossloop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ServerOrigin View Post
    http://www.toktumi.com/desktopShare.aspx works well with their desktop sharing solution. All web-based no installation and incredibly cheap.
    *Requires purchase of toktumi virtual office phone service at
    $14.95/mo. The Desktop Share application is fully-integrated into the toktumi softphone and is not available as a standalone product. Requires Windows Vista or XP.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

LogMeIn Free, or there's Teamviewer, I personally use Teamviewer when I have a friend of family that need remote support.

I would recommend using RHUB`s remote support appliance. It is easy to use, works on both MAC and windows and best part is it has no download of any kind.

Why not try screenconnect ?
    It works with everything, and it's a one-time deal.

We use www.screenconnect.com and it works great though you do have to pay for the software and self host it.

Quote Originally Posted by dave - just199 View Post
    We use www.screenconnect.com and it works great though you do have to pay for the software and self host it.
    Yes true, but it's a one-time fee unlike logmein and teamviewer, and most others.

Check ammyy ( http://www.ammyy.com/en/ ) too and see if it works for you.