Established Website - Looking For New Hosting Options

I have a ( dot ) come that was started and created at homestead. I am looking in to new hosting options.

I am looking at Godaddy, but I cant find any information as to if I will loose all my work I did on site at Homestead. Is there a way to copy the exact same site to godaddy?

Layman terms please, I am very new to web designing.

There is no way to copy the godaddy's site... but there's a way you can get there site legally. You need to become there partner kind and sell there products and they'll give you a website template similar to there.

I think this is the only way you can really do it.

You can ftp your site down to your computer and then upload it to new hosting site
    Last edited by Collabora; 10-16-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaritaLCogle View Post
    I have a ( dot ) come that was started and created at homestead. I am looking in to new hosting options.

I am looking at Godaddy, but I cant find any information as to if I will loose all my work I did on site at Homestead. Is there a way to copy the exact same site to godaddy?

If you were using a site builder from Homestead this will make maintaining/editing your site anywhere else difficult however if you didn't use a site builder offered by Homestead then you should be fine downloading/uploading your site and any databases. Realistically if you don't know how to transfer over you should go with a company that will assist you with this. Make sure you run a search here for GoDaddy Hosting reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ragavbpl View Post
    There is no way to copy the godaddy's site... but there's a way you can get there site legally. You need to become there partner kind and sell there products and they'll give you a website template similar to there.

I think this is the only way you can really do it.
    They aren't asking how to have a site just like GoDaddy, they are asking how to copy their own site to GoDaddy exactly as it was at Homestead.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

MaritaLCogle - What plan are you looking at over at GoDaddy?

Goddaddy is a big player. I have heard a mixed amount of reviews about their hosting. I would recommend you go with a key player whom is a bit smaller in the industry and can give you better close knit service considering you are new to all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - HostATree View Post
    Goddaddy is a big player. I have heard a mixed amount of reviews about their hosting. I would recommend you go with a key player whom is a bit smaller in the industry and can give you better close knit service considering you are new to all this.
    I would have to agree with you, I to also heard mix reviews about GoDaddy with web hosting and their other services that they offer.

Well, with 3.5 million active sites, 50 different products, ten years of history, and smaller hosts here trying to compete with them its not surprising to see mixed reviews

I've also seen some mixed reviews about them. You should be able to FTP the data across or get the host to help you out - be sure to ask if they can help before you purchase.
    http://www.rskeens.com
    A casual blog mainly about the web hosting industry

Pls be more lucid, i don't understand your question.

If you're trying to host with Goddaddy, then i'd suggest you look someplace else, they are better with domains but average with hosting.

You should be able to a make a copy for yourself and then upload your site to your new host. I do not think you will loose your site if you are switching hots.

Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva View Post
    If you're trying to host with Goddaddy, then i'd suggest you look someplace else, they are better with domains but average with hosting.
    What website do you host or have you hosted with Godaddy?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

If you don't know HTML, I am not sure what moving to GoDaddy is going to do for you. In other words, you are dependent on Homestead's software to "design" your website, so how are you planning on making updates to your website after it is moved over to GoDaddy's servers?

GoDaddy has it's own software for people such as yourself to "design" a website. I doubt it is compatible with Homestead's.

ieee488 is right. Homestead's service is built around its web design solution, so your real way out of Homestead is to recreate your site.

If your site is simple enough (essentially HTML code based), copying the content over to another host may be doable. However, this bit from their terms of service seems to suggest that there may be copyright/licensing issues with that:

3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. The Services are licensed not sold, and Intuit reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this Agreement. The Services are protected by copyright, trade secret and other intellectual property laws. Intuit and its licensors, where applicable, own all right, title and interest in and to the Services (and all intellectual property rights therein), including but not limited to its technology, content, derivatives, and modifications of the Services by whomever made. Intuit does not grant any license or other authorization to any user of its branding, trademarks, service marks, or other copyrightable material or other intellectual property.
    http://www.homestead.com/~site/Legal...service.ffhtml

I suggest that you look around first before settling with godaddy. Simply because there are a lot of hosts out there that have different packages and offers. You might want to be really sure that you get the best that caters your needs. Since moving from host to host could be very tiring.

OK Let me try this again.

I have a site that I started and desgined with Homestead Sitebuilder.

I wish to change my hosting. In other words, not pay homestead to host my site anymore and completly change.

Problem is I dont want to loose any of the work that I have done on the site.

I basically want to take my exact site and just pay some one else to host it for me.

Some of you got what I was asking, some didnt.

Is there a company that will take my homestead site and transfer it over to their servers with out loosing anything?

What companys?

What is FTP?

Also... can you recommend some places to look at that has good hosting packages??? I am paying 20.00 or so a month right now for 100 pages. I need more than that and Go daddy had an unlimited for less then $20.00 that is the only reason why I was looking in to going with them.

Second, I dont really care if I have to recreate it. My only issue is, I am not that great with HTML, and would rather have a builder similiar to homestead is possible. But I would really like to avoid completely re doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by akirah View Post
    I suggest that you look around first before settling with godaddy. Simply because there are a lot of hosts out there that have different packages and offers. You might want to be really sure that you get the best that caters your needs. Since moving from host to host could be very tiring.
    Spot on...that's the point i was trying to make that there are way better host provider than Godaddy.

I have a site that I started and desgined with Homestead Sitebuilder.

I wish to change my hosting. In other words, not pay homestead to host my site anymore and completly change.

Problem is I dont want to loose any of the work that I have done on the site.

I basically want to take my exact site and just pay some one else to host it for me.

Some of you got what I was asking, some didnt.

Is there a company that will take my homestead site and transfer it over to their servers with out loosing anything?

What companys?

What is FTP?
    We got what YOU were asking. You are NOT understanding what we are saying.

Did you read the TOS that lcdc linked about possible copyright infringement issues? If I was another host, I would not do the "transfer" for you for just that copyright reason alone.

Since you obviously don't know HTML, how exactly were you planning on being able to update your files once they were moved over to GoDaddy assuming you are able to find someone to make this possibly illegal move for you?

My only issue is, I am not that great with HTML, and would rather have a builder similiar to homestead is possible. But I would really like to avoid completely re doing it.
    You will have to completely re-do your website because GoDaddy and Homestead do not use the same builder.

Did YOU Miss.....

Quote Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
    We got what YOU were asking. You are NOT understanding what we are saying.

Did you read the TOS that lcdc linked about possible copyright infringement issues? If I was another host, I would not do the "transfer" for you for just that copyright reason alone.

Since you obviously don't know HTML, how exactly were you planning on being able to update your files once they were moved over to GoDaddy assuming you are able to find someone to make this possibly illegal move for you?
    Did you miss the part where I said "I DONT MIND RECREATING IT" just would like to avoid it if I can.

I am simply just looking for advice as to where I can go. I need hosting with a website designer I can use to recreate it, if need be?

Did you miss the part where I said "I DONT MIND RECREATING IT" just would like to avoid it if I can.

I am simply just looking for advice as to where I can go. I need hosting with a website designer I can use to recreate it, if need be?
    If you are willing to recreate, go with any webhost that offers a do-it-yourself website builder.

From what I have been able to tell, the "good" webhosts don't usually offer website builders. The ones I have dealings with don't.

Most of the professionals on here are either webhosts or people who do know HTML, we don't specifically look for webhosts with site builders.

As you have found out, every time you move from webhost to another, you have to recreate the website all over again.

That's all fine and good.. but

Quote Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
    If you are willing to recreate, go with any webhost that offers a do-it-yourself website builder.

From what I have been able to tell, the "good" webhosts don't usually offer website builders. The ones I have dealings with don't.

Most of the professionals on here are either webhosts or people who do know HTML, we don't specifically look for webhosts with site builders.

As you have found out, every time you move from webhost to another, you have to recreate the website all over again.
    The reason I need a builder, is I dont know HTML. Wouldn't even know how to go in a edit it if it was HTML, and I would assume it would cost alot of $$ to have someone design it with HTML and edit it when I needed.

The reason I need a builder, is I dont know HTML. Wouldn't even know how to go in a edit it if it was HTML, and I would assume it would cost alot of $$ to have someone design it with HTML and edit it when I needed.
    I would suggest a Content Management System (such as Joomla, WordPress, etc) where you don't have to worry about HTML and you can worry about the content itself.

You can find lots of free (very nice) templates/themes out there or you can pay $100~500 (one-time) for somebody to design a nice one custom for you and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I would suggest a Content Management System (such as Joomla, WordPress, etc) where you don't have to worry about HTML and you can worry about the content itself.

You can find lots of free (very nice) templates/themes out there or you can pay $100~500 (one-time) for somebody to design a nice one custom for you and then go from there.
    Thank you!

The reason I need a builder, is I dont know HTML.
    I surmised as much.

MikeDVB's suggestion of CMS is a good one. Perhaps you might want to look at using www.wordpress.com and upgrading to their premium features.

Hmmm??? I thought I seen a post here earlier today about Soholaunch, but it seem to have disappeared???

Anyway, it is very difficult to just transfer a site from one CMS to another, this is something that might happen 1 day, but I don't know of any Site Builder or CMS that can do this now. You can do a trial for just about any CMS out there, so be sure to do that. I do work for Soholaunch, but I am also a huge fan of Wordpress, but they are not the same, but it just depends on your level of knowledge or willingness to learn.

Lastly, look in your control panel at your host and see what they currently offer and compare that with your new prospective host. Joomla, Wordpress, Soholaunch, and RV Sitebuilder (to name a few) can be found in most addons section of your control panel, and they all are available for an immediate install and setup and you can try them out.
    Giving my opinions and thoughts the Moxie Way

The post you are referring to was probably removed for self promotion (at least, that's what it looked like to me when I read it).

Beyond that - you generally don't transfer from one CMS to another because you can just transfer the whole CMS from one provider to another

@Mike - I just briefly viewed it on my cell phone from the Keyword Notification.

In reference to ransferring a CMS or Site builder from 1 host to another, this can be done with ease, but most CMS's out there and site builders are hosted Solutions, so you can't transfer them, but us, Wordpress, Joomla, and Drupal can be transferred, and this is something that should be considered when decided what CMS you are going to use. You may find that you want to change your Host again in the future and this can save hundreds, if not thousands of Dollars. We come accross this all the time, and believe me, I hate turning away business.
    Giving my opinions and thoughts the Moxie Way

Thank you!
    Another idea is to download a free template from oswd.org.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie Maxwell View Post
    but most CMS's out there are hosted Solutions
    If you sign up for the hosted solution then yes ... but then you would be signing up with somebody like WordPress.com and the discussion would be moot.

As for site-builders, most are hosted solutions and most are proprietary from what I've seen which is why I suggest staying away from site-builders. Even with builders that *aren't* proprietary - it's still hard to move because you have to find another provider offering the same sitebuilder more often than not.

Cool

Sorry if I didn't word my earlier post correctly.

I was agreeing that almost all hosting providers offer all the popular CMS programs like WordPress or Joomla etc. These are fairly easy to use, not quite as easy as the DIY site builders but still easier than learning to build one from a "store bought" program or such. They are free and can be easily transferred from host to host with no loss or changes if you end up having to rebuild from scratch. But while easy and with good "community" support, they are not the same as a site-builder.

Also to the OP you cannot generally simply download your site and upload somewhere else. I obviously over-described this but I have had personal experience where people did not contact us about their intentions first and tried to do this type thing always without success because the templates, color schemes, etc. are usually part of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) or other files that reside on the host server as part of their program. So they don't move with you.

There is one program (site builder) used by some hosts which just this year started advertising the new ability to move sites built with their software from one host to another if desired with no loss of formatting or anything as long as both hosts were using their brand of software.

Since I only know that one program that claims they can do this and since they "brand" the software for individual hosts (so if I name them it wouldn't help-they put the host's "brand" on their product but they claim you can move from host-to host "as is")
    You would just have to ask the new host if you were going to rebuild a "site builder" type site with them; if the software their company offered had that capability before signing up. Sorry if I was overly descriptive before.

I will add since a recent post indicated Intuit was Homestead's software provider (from their TOS wording) that just today while watching TV I saw Intuit advertising their site builder with "Intuit" hosting for the first time.
    If you see that ad you might contact Intuit and ask if you could move your site to them since they have obviously entered the "site-builder" hosting business now and that might avoid copyright issues since you would still be using Intuit. (if the above post was correct about Intuit & it was OK with them-only Intuit could answer that--and since this is obviously new--or I have just been missing it-- I would have no idea about their hosting or quality/pricing etc.)

I have no idea about Intuits pricing/pages but pricing "by the page" is becoming a dinosaur.
    Some people do it but most don't anymore. Since a page can be a little data or a lot, long or short, big or little-- most hosts price by the quantity you use in GB (gigabytes) rather than "pages" these days.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well