I've been seeing alot of negative threads about Hivelocity so I decide to post my review.
A little more than 4 months ago I ordered a server on Hivelocity using an offer they posted on twitter, it was a Core2Duo for $75/month and first month for $50. I ordered on the chat and the sales told me there wasn't any package with the Core2duo so he used the next cheapest server to order(Core2Quad q8200, everything else was the same) and wrote a comment saying that the actual server would be a Core2Duo.
I paid the bill, submitted some documents(on June 7) and waited, I had to send a few emails because there wasn't any progress with my order and by June 10 the server was live. When I logged in I realized I was given the Core2Quad q8200, same specs, better CPU
Ever since then I've not needed to talk to support for anything except adding some services(extra IP and 100mb port, both were quickly added and with no problems).
Its good to hear that you are having a good experience with them and this review was much needed for HiVelocity. The only thing that concerns me is that it took them 3 days to setup a server. I understand that you had to submit documents but that does not take 3 days.
i've been with they for almost 2 years and got a good experience as well.
But past weeks, we are geting some network issues related to new upgrades and such things.
They has been great with me, so, i can not say anything bad about HV. But they need to improve their network (I'm happy they will, LEVEL 3 is comming!)
Level (3) is up , we are currently testing the link for stability , and should be routing traffic over the link next week, also we have 2 additional links being installed next week from Time Warner , those should be added to the mix the following week.
cPanel at idle with no accounts takes more load that what is displayed. Is the server being used all the time?
That load is at night, on which the traffics drops considerable. There's no cPanel installed.
I'm running only one site, 70% percent of the hits go to memcache, the other 30% hit Apache/PHP/MySQL(Apache reports about 2.37 requests/second). nginx is serving the static files with about 300-400 req/sec.