Question security issues with ssh ?

scenario:

a few people share a computer and they only ssh in to their own web servers.

meaning they open up a terminal on the shared computer

and they type

Code:
    ssh theirsite.com -l theirID
    now they are able to access their web terminal. while connected to their server through the ssh terminal, is it possible for them to try downloading or uploading or can do something through the ssh terminal that could damage the computer ?

They are on the (local) computer, so they can damage it. They can probably hit it with a hammer too since it's right there in front of them. What are you asking?

Can they use SCP or FTP from a terminal in SSH? Yes. What wouldn't they be able to do? If X windows is available they could start a complete KDE session over SSH and have a whole new desktop (remote) and it's the same as if they were on a local CRT screen over at the colo where the server is located.

for the scenario they can only access the terminal. they cannot click outside. basically, its like starting your linux computer in recovery mode with networking. you just have the terminal. the only command you can run is ssh yoursite.com -l login.

In that case, I don't think so. (Other than hitting it with a hammer, of course, as mentioned above )

I'm still guessing what "computer" you are talking about, I ASSUME you mean the local one being somehow damaged.

There are commands in SSH where you can open a local port and forward it, oh what fun you might have with that. I could telnet (or whatever) into the local machine's port (sort of backwards) and bypass any firewall since it thinks I am local.

Depending on how SSH is set up you could use the "~C" terminal command to execute a local command.

You should read the man page for SSH, it's pretty powerful. I'm not sure why you are asking all this. If it's a windows machine, have fun trying to lock people out from doing nasty stuff like dropping to DOS, inserting a USB drive or something.

I would be very careful assuming you are safe letting unknown people access your local machine, if that's what you were talking about.

how can i lock someone from executing local commands and such ?

Quote Originally Posted by jjk2 View Post
    how can i lock someone from executing local commands and such ?
    What do you want the allow the user to do exactly?

You could change the user's shell to something like rsh or scponly to restrict them to a subset of commands, e.g. scp and rsync.
    GigaTux, Value Linux Hosting
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

i want the user to use the SSH to their server but not run anything that could damage the security of the local computer.

You can assign them to a group, then you can restrict commands usage by adding an instruction in the sudoers file. e.i: You can allow them to use ssh command only and so on.

Look into the /etc/sudoers file and there are some examples you can use, also it's great to review and tweak your /etc/security config files to fit your needs.

Regards,
    Last edited by AttackerNET; 10-16-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Allowing people shell access but without access to any potentially damaging utilities is always a tricky one and a huge area of discussion for sysadmins.

If they really need shell access, one possibility to start from a very strong position is to consider setting up their root in a jail. Look up information in jail and chroot.
    GigaTux, Value Linux Hosting
    UK, US and Germany based Xen VPS. Reliability is key! Quick support response and 99.9% SLA.

If you have a custom compiled SSH client or in FreeBSD, I believe you can disable certain features when configuring i.e. ./configure --disable-FEATURE , perhaps you can disable reverse tunneling so the local terminal will not be able to open local ports.