Adding a photo gallery to basic html site?

I have a basic html site. I have sidebars with just news on it that changes one a month. So every month I open all 15 pages and copy and paste the new news. It takes about 10 minutes, not long. Just a hassle.

However, the point is, my site may look more functional, but it is pure html and css. How can I insert a photo gallery? I don't want to use thumbnails, that would take too long. I want it so I can easily update this photo gallery and manage photos, etc.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    I have a basic html site. I have sidebars with just news on it that changes one a month. So every month I open all 15 pages and copy and paste the new news. It takes about 10 minutes, not long. Just a hassle.

However, the point is, my site may look more functional, but it is pure html and css. How can I insert a photo gallery? I don't want to use thumbnails, that would take too long. I want it so I can easily update this photo gallery and manage photos, etc.
    There is no reason you can't just install a gallery script in a subdirectory and use that for managing your photos. A site can be partially dynamic you know.

every month I open all 15 pages and copy and paste the new news. It takes about 10 minutes, not long. Just a hassle.
    Just as an aside, you might consider changing the site to PHP so you can simply include one file with this changing content. Very easy to update then, by changing the one file. 10 minutes becomes 30 seconds. Rename to .php, create an htaccess 301 redirect for the pages (for SEO not to lose the old pages) and add an include:
    PHP Code:
    <?php include('/home/user/www/page.html'); ?>
    10 minutes work now may save you time later.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Each page is different in the body. Just the sidebar changes because it has news that must be applied to all pages, so I open all pages in dreamweaver and copy and paste.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007...ws-lightboxes/

I found a gallery script, but aren't most of these for actual software like Wordpress and stuff and not for plain sites like mine?

You can integrate an open source script, such as Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/) with a basic mySQL setup - this will give you additional features and the ability to scale the gallery.

Each page is different in the body. Just the sidebar changes because it has news that must be applied to all pages, so I open all pages in dreamweaver and copy and paste.
    In that case, just make a template for your site (the bits that don't change), and have that news in the template as non-editable. Update that template, and save, and it will prompt you to update all pages using the template. DW will do the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    In that case, just make a template for your site (the bits that don't change), and have that news in the template as non-editable. Update that template, and save, and it will prompt you to update all pages using the template. DW will do the heavy lifting.
    I know how to do what your saying, but I'm not sure why that makes sense. The right sidebar in my template have non-edible? Why not as an edible?

Will dreamweaver update all the pages/links that are in the non edible region in my template?

If the pages you made used that template and it's still linked to it, any change made to the non-editable regions of the template should cause DW to ask when saving if it should update them all.
    Editable means it doesn't update automatically because the content has likely changed on the pages. Non-editable is something you can't change per page, so changing in the template should cause the "child" pages to be updated upon save.
    That help at all?

Makes sense!
    One last thing. How do I ensure my pages and future pages are "linked" to the template page so when I make a non-edible area on the template and edit and save, it will ask to update and DW will update all the other pages.

When you create a page, use the "new" menu choice under "file", and make sure you navigate to the template file you want to use. The version of DW you have makes a difference where that's found or how it's done.
    In CS4:
    File-> new-> page from template-> site definition-> template.

way to go bear ^_-

good feedback. later you can always search the net for a more suiteable setup with mulitple features, the internet has alot of low-cost and free software available so just check out your options for any other upgrades you want to do.

Goodluck friend!
    RackRhino Server Locations: MO, MI, NY, FL, UK
    Shared, Dedicated, Managed & Reseller.