Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dedicated Server With True Unmetered Bandwidth

Looking for a dedicated unmetered server to stream movies and audio for over 500 visitors a day. Anybody knows any place that is good?

Also, what kind of hardware specifications would be OK for me - in terms of speed and memory? And would we be OK with a 10mbit port or 100?

Would I survive on a dedicated server with a shared bandwidth?

Thanks, folks.

Kobina

You might as well look for a 'rainbow' with gold at the end of it. Or how about a perpectual moving machine?

It can 'appear' like a 'true unmetered bandwidth' all the way up to the time you press it with streaming movies.

Bandwidth is oversold 40 times and more...
    ABSF
    Arrogant Bastard Server Farm
    Built from scratch Data Center serving
    100 year-old Metaphysical Library

Quote Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
    Dedicated bandwidth is dedicated, not oversold. He looks for dedicated unmetered.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Dedicated bandwidth is dedicated, not oversold. He looks for dedicated unmetered.
    Upstream?

I think not, who have you been talking to?
    ABSF

Upstream?
    I think not, who have you been talking to?
    We operate our own network and we know we can push the full available bandwidth to our upstreams. We test this and we make sure we put that hard into any agreement we sign with our uplink providers.

We have a lot of customers who push the complete bandwidth of their ports 24/7 on either 100 or 1000 mbit ethernet and that is no problem at all. Its dedicated bandwidth, after all.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    We operate our own network and we know we can push the full available bandwidth to our upstreams. We test this and we make sure we put that hard into any agreement we sign with our uplink providers.

We have a lot of customers who push the complete bandwidth of their ports 24/7 on either 100 or 1000 mbit ethernet and that is no problem at all. Its dedicated bandwidth, after all.
    Then he should buy from you.

I will hope to get that close around here.
    ABSF

The only true "unmetered" bandwidth would be dedicated bandwidth. What is the bitrate of your stream and how many concurrent users do you need to service? A 10Mb/Ethernet port will work until you reach the physical capacity of the link. Starting off with 100Mb/FastE will give you more available bandwidth. What streaming technology do you intend to utilize? A Red5 or Flash Media Streaming Server will require more resources (cpu/memory) than say an icecast or shoutcast server. Good luck on getting everything going.
    AS46176SavvisAbovenetnLayerMzimaOneringLevel3CogentTelia Fully Route Optimized
    DC#1 55 Marietta St. Atlanta GA | DC#2 34 Peachtree St. Atlanta GA | DC#3 PhoenixNAP Phoenix AZ
    Follow us on twitter @SoutheastWeb or visit our website

You might as well look for a 'rainbow' with gold at the end of it. Or how about a perpectual moving machine?

It can 'appear' like a 'true unmetered bandwidth' all the way up to the time you press it with streaming movies.

If it is dedicated bandwidth it isn't oversold. As has been stated, there are many providers who can guarantee you full line rate 24/7...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    If it is dedicated bandwidth it isn't oversold. As has been stated, there are many providers who can guarantee you full line rate 24/7...
    I guess I should stop talking to black fiber salesman?
    ABSF

I guess I should stop talking to black fiber salesman?
    You mean dark fiber?
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    You mean dark fiber?
    <smiles>

Yea, probably and I am still new to the all ideas around so-called 'unlimited'...

...it seems true unlimited is where you have a dark fiber and control the whole line and both ends and you put some great high-speed equipment on both ends and then shove like hell.

Anyway, that is my 'take on it so far'.

<cheers!!>
    ABSF

For BW not to be oversold the uplink capacity must be equal to a total BW sold to clients. If it's less then the BW is oversold.

The BW can be oversold even on a backbone provider level to start with. And almost all providers do oversell, and the larger they are the more potential for that they have as it's rare for all customers to use 100% of their BW 24/7 (or full traffic allocation for dedicated servers for that matter).

That said if, the provider keeps an eye on usage levels and upgrades his uplink capacity so the actual total BW used keeps under available capacity with some extra then the customers will never know and shouldn't really care, as unless there will be sudden large spike in BW usage across all customers (many customers suddenly begin to consume a lot more BW) there will be enough free capacity available.

<smiles>
    Yea, probably and I am still new to the all ideas around so-called 'unlimited'...
    No one here offers unlimited bandwidth, that would be silly. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. But you can offer unmetered. Dedicated 100 mbit unmetered, Dedicated 1000 mbit unmetered and up.
    With dark fiber you can use WDM equiptment to multiplex the signals. So instead for example 1 x 10 gigabit over 1 fiber you can put 4, 8, or for example 16 x 10 gigabit over 1 single fiber.

Well, to clarify my previous comments.

I mixed up black with dark fiber and until this morning read 'unlimited' every time I viewed 'unmetered'.
    When the OP mentioned video streaming, it brings to fore the overall problem of where the net has come to be, now. There are several who say that (sorry for lack of cites, been busy) the web's infrastructure is not up to being used as a 'on demand TV network' and has traditionally been oversold structurally 40 to 1. This 40 to 1 is a common ratio cited.

I have had it used by salesman when I said I could use certain services from Comcast and/or Verizon FIOS. And dark fiber requires huge set-up costs, generally unless you are lucky to 'inherit' a connection, something worth exploring. But even with a direct fiber connection, you still have to connect in somewhere and there is where the 'toll booth' will be.

What I concluded is some of what you see in marketing...

A. Denial of said problem, we do not have it.
    B. Quiet refusal to 'allow' streaming
    C. Surcharges for streaming
    D. Service failure due to poor planning
    E. Over buy to be 'safe'.

I am left with option E.

I do not care to be 'right' about this, it is just what I am learning and the information I am dealing with to date.
    ABSF

Quote Originally Posted by Kobina View Post
    Looking for a dedicated unmetered server to stream movies and audio for over 500 visitors a day. Anybody knows any place that is good?

Also, what kind of hardware specifications would be OK for me - in terms of speed and memory? And would we be OK with a 10mbit port or 100?

Would I survive on a dedicated server with a shared bandwidth?

Thanks, folks.

Kobina
    It all depends on the quality (bit rate) and length of the "sessions" or audio/video clips (if you have splitted, but not live streaming).

500 (all day long) on 256Kb/s is about 125 Mb/s - you would need that port. Core2Dou or dual xeon will work for you (2GB RAM) - disk depend if you want to keep or rebroadcast the streams.

10 Mb/s will let you to stream about 40 simultaneous streams with 256Kb/s quality, but that may be OK if out of 500 visitors only 40 will be watching at any point of time.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by lprise View Post
    For BW not to be oversold the uplink capacity must be equal to a total BW sold to clients. If it's less then the BW is oversold.

The BW can be oversold even on a backbone provider level to start with. And almost all providers do oversell, and the larger they are the more potential for that they have as it's rare for all customers to use 100% of their BW 24/7 (or full traffic allocation for dedicated servers for that matter).

That said if, the provider keeps an eye on usage levels and upgrades his uplink capacity so the actual total BW used keeps under available capacity with some extra then the customers will never know and shouldn't really care, as unless there will be sudden large spike in BW usage across all customers (many customers suddenly begin to consume a lot more BW) there will be enough free capacity available.
    IMHO, it doesn't matter if your backbone provider is oversold or not if you have the redundancy and additional carriers on your own end. I know for certain that several of our carriers, we can push a full 10 Gbit/sec over our 10 GigE circuits without an issue and we have significantly more capacity than we have sold.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

IMHO, it doesn't matter if your backbone provider is oversold or not if you have the redundancy and additional carriers on your own end. I know for certain that several of our carriers, we can push a full 10 Gbit/sec over our 10 GigE circuits without an issue and we have significantly more capacity than we have sold.
    That being so can make even $25 per Mbps look almost tasty. Not your pricing, my neighborhood prices.

...almost
    ABSF

That being so can make even $25 per Mbps look almost tasty. Not your pricing, my neighborhood prices.

...almost
    I think we are getting mixed hosting prices vs access to home pricing...

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    I think we are getting mixed hosting prices vs access to home pricing...
    Nope, they have crossed hairs.

Fiber Optics is at the front door. Dark fiber 1500 feet and that $25 per Mbps is with a major provider in their dedicated or colocation service which is using the very same Fiber carrier. Their pass through costs or 'Transport Only' via the local Fiber Carrier to the Carrier Hotel(Westin) in Seattle is $2 per Mbps.

Verizon has laid its own Fiber and is not sharing, at least not that I can ascertain. They were going to but pulled the rug on another local major Data Center nearby and left them only offering some low bandwidth cable that I already beat x5 with Comcast Business.

If you have the equipment, there is now coming to be like a fast train, NO difference doing it at your house or colocating at a major Data Center. Well except price... ...and this sword still cuts both ways.

...still, but for how long?
    ABSF

Nope, they have crossed hairs.

Fiber Optics is at the front door. Dark fiber 1500 feet and that $25 per Mbps is with a major provider in their dedicated or colocation service which is using the very same Fiber carrier. Their pass through costs or 'Transport Only' via the local Fiber Carrier to the Carrier Hotel(Westin) in Seattle is $2 per Mbps.

Verizon has laid its own Fiber and is not sharing, at least not that I can ascertain. They were going to but pulled the rug on another local major Data Center nearby and left them only offering some low bandwidth cable that I already beat x5 with Comcast Business.

If you have the equipment, there is now coming to be like a fast train, NO difference doing it at your house or colocating at a major Data Center. Well except price... ...and this sword still cuts both ways.

...still, but for how long?
    Do you find that colocation at home is cheaper despite higher prices per Mb/s?

Do you find that colocation at home is cheaper despite higher prices per Mb/s?
    When you add cost of electricity it is a slam dunk.

However, prices per Mp at home via comcast business(apples to apples)is $18 per Mb/s where at NetRiver just down the street so to speak (5 miles or so) is $25 per Mb but if you bring a dedicated fiber line to my house connecting direct to NetRiver it is $16 per Mb (same pass through to Westin I suppose). However, I eat $55,000 in set-up costs give or take $25,000 (no kidding).

Verison FIOS is $6 per Mb in 25Mb chunks or per business account; though I suspect one could negotiate that to one large account, with maybe slightly better pricing. (These are all up loading speeds)

Guess which one I am going to push up first?
    <smiles>
    Last edited by Mavus; 10-16-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    ABSF

Why don't take a look at Motorola point to point "dish", 25K install (everything) and no monthly fees.

Also, in hosting Mb/s i not everything - a lot of customers are using less than 1 Mb/s per cabinet - transactional type of business.

Why don't take a look at Motorola point to point "dish", 25K install (everything) and no monthly fees.

Also, in hosting Mb/s i not everything - a lot of customers are using less than 1 Mb/s per cabinet - transactional type of business.
    Thanks!

I will and nice tip on actual use, right now I am doing 'due diligence'.
    ABSF

Thanks!

I will and nice tip on actual use, right now I am doing 'due diligence'.
    Just so you klnow what I am talking about http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...ies_US-EN.html

Just so you klnow what I am talking about http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...ies_US-EN.html
    Thanks, that helps too!

I signed up earlier today for a sales call. We all know how we love sales calls!
    ABSF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast