I've seen a handful of people complaining about really bizarre behavior, like caching of a lot of our pages with no-cache headers. The ones I've investigated are running AOL, and my gut is that AOL's "Velocity Engine" is the problem.

Does anyone recognize this pattern? I see a UserAgent like this:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; AOL 9.1; AOLBuild 4334.5006; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)
And then an HTTP_VIA of this:
HTTP/1.1 (Velocity/ [uScMs f p eN:t cCMp s ]), HTTP/1.1 spider-mtc-te02.proxy.aol.com[400C7082] (Prism/1.2.1), HTTP/1.1 cache-mtc-ac05.proxy.aol.com[400C7486] (Traffic-Server/6.1.5 [uScM])
I can't find any good information on how AOL Velocity Engine works, but I'm finding a strong correlation between users having problems that shouldn't be happening and people using AOL 9.1.

Can anyone point me to any useful resources about this? Will putting Velocity/Prism/Traffic-Server in robots.txt keep them from aggressively caching things and force the client to get it from us? Or, acting as a proxy, will it not even obey robots.txt?

For that matter, what is AOL these days? It seems that people using AOL are using other ISPs. Most of their traffic comes through proxy.aol.com IPs, but sometimes the same cookie/session comes directly from a residential ISP. The UserAgent looks like IE8 with AOL. Can we tell these people having trouble to download Firefox, or do they need to do some funny setup to make it work with AOL? I guess I'm confused on how AOL figures in at all when your ISP isn't AOL.