13 40.63%
  • Palm Pre

7 21.88%
  • Blackberry Tour

12 37.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by telfer View Post
    Aussie Bob:

The area of the USA is only marginally bigger than the area of Australia (10 million vs 8 million sq km). The population of the USA is MASSIVELY larger than Australia (307 million vs 21 million).

Thus, no, you will NOT have many problems with loss of coverage similar to Australia. The USA has a huge over-population problem (Average 32 people / sq km whereas Australia has only an average of 3 people / sq km). There are very few areas in the USA that are not densely populated.
    Thanks for that.
    • WLVPN.com • NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider •
    • Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up •

Quote Originally Posted by cselzer View Post
    . . . I currently have the google nexus one with ATT. And yes, 3g works with them now.
    If I wasn't so hooked on iPhone, I'd go with the Google N1 for sure. Looks like an awesome device!

I'm in the hunt for an upgrade soon as I dropped my iPhone on concrete and wi-fi stopped working so it'll be a Google N1 or the next iPhone 4G or HD, whatever they call it.

Quote Originally Posted by sitesguru View Post
    what ever you choose I would suggest you to check battery time how long it can stay with battery
    That's the problem with most smartphones these days, that we're pushing them harder than ever. Phones used to be about making and receiving calls, but the phones these days are true multi-media devices, that drains the battery more than ever. We're pushing these devices harder and harder, with wi-fi, 3G and GPS, and this is a battery drain.

If you're a super heavy user and can't get to a recharger, you can buy those portable recharger kits, that will boost your battery life. Or you can get a solar recharger, if you can find some sun on the go. There's a few portable recharging options available for most smartphones these days.

Go for the HTC Hero.
    Webuzo - Multi user control panel supporting Apache, NGinx, MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, LiteSpeed, Varnish, WordPress, etc.
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 200+ OS Templates
    Softaculous - Auto Installer with 400+ scripts for Webuzo, cPanel, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, Plesk, etc.

no reason to necro a thread :p

I ended up with the htc hero.. but then about a week later, i got the first bill from sprint, and they wanted a thousand dollar activation fee PER line.. and I had 3. So i canceled within the first 30 days, and still ended up paying about $600 to cancel everything. Will never deal with sprint again.

I currently have the google nexus one with ATT. And yes, 3g works with them now. I also have a blackberry bold 9700 with att.

I absolutely love the bold 9700 and the google nexus one. Wouldn't trade those phones for anything.
    this doesn't pass the smell test, $1000 activation fee?

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    this doesn't pass the smell test, $1000 activation fee?
    You're telling me. Heh. I took the bill to the store where I purchased all 3 lines, where I was told there wasn't an activation fee, and they told me there is nothing they can do and I would have to call support. I called support, and was hung up 3 times. I then went into the store and canceled it all. 2 months later, I got a bill saying a collection agency is wanting money from me for an unpaid sprint bill, i called again, and i just paid the $600 they wanted because i just got done paying off my debt and didnt want anything else on there. It was a pretty bad experience. I'm not saying sprint is a bad company, because I know a lot of people who have no problems at all with sprint, but unfortunately, my experience just tells me i will never deal with them again.

You're telling me. Heh. I took the bill to the store where I purchased all 3 lines, where I was told there wasn't an activation fee, and they told me there is nothing they can do and I would have to call support. I called support, and was hung up 3 times. I then went into the store and canceled it all. 2 months later, I got a bill saying a collection agency is wanting money from me for an unpaid sprint bill, i called again, and i just paid the $600 they wanted because i just got done paying off my debt and didnt want anything else on there. It was a pretty bad experience. I'm not saying sprint is a bad company, because I know a lot of people who have no problems at all with sprint, but unfortunately, my experience just tells me i will never deal with them again.
    It is supposed to be $18 to $36 only for activation.

Are you sure this was not a deposit?
    I did mobile phone sales in a past life, and we were pretty clear about it when it was a deposit to be refunded at end of contract, but it was not uncommon. I only saw a handful in the $1000 range, but one person they wanted $3000 for a single line (this was not Sprint, but a local carrier a long time ago)

My vote went to the Tour although if you had AT&T you should get the BOLD 9700 with the square pad instead of track ball. Best phone i've ever had, the square pad never freezes or sticks and is the best thing RIM came out with! Maybe even consider the new curve with square pad if you're sticking with Verizon or T-Mobile.
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    It is supposed to be $18 to $36 only for activation.

Are you sure this was not a deposit?
    I did mobile phone sales in a past life, and we were pretty clear about it when it was a deposit to be refunded at end of contract, but it was not uncommon. I only saw a handful in the $1000 range, but one person they wanted $3000 for a single line (this was not Sprint, but a local carrier a long time ago)
    I honestly don't know, the bill specifically was "Activation Charge", a different way of saying deposit? Because i had the phones for a week before i got that bill in the mail. It doesn't matter, i am with att and got my google nexus 1 and bold 9700. Lol. And been a happy ATT customer since 05. I only switched to sprint because of a local deal and figured i'd give it a go, sadly it didn't work out. Did the same back in 06 for verizon but was a completely different reason i didn't stay with them.

Guess i am hard to please, it doesn't matter, people love to flame att all of the time, people tend to flame sprint quite a bit.. but i'm not like that. If you have great service with someone and no problems, great! stay with them i personally have had great experience with ATT. And after the few times i've tried to switch (because $210/m for 3 phones) is quite expensive. Just going to stick with it because i am happy with it.

And sorry for the wall of text.

TL;DR

I had a poor experience with sprint; i am a happy att customer for 5 years, just tried to switch to sprint / verizon in the past, but both didn't work for me. So i stayed with att.

If you love the bold so much why not wait till the end of the month when it releases for sprint?
    PRESSD - Dynamic WordPress Hosting v2 is in BETA status, set to launch 1st q 2019.
    PRESSD is an OKTANE.COMPANY

Palm Pre is the coolest of the choices you have listed. The Palm WebOS is very interesting.
    My second choice would be the google phone.. essentially for it's turn by turn directions.

I personally use the Nokia N900 and love it. True linux...
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

* The real Answer

I currently have att, and well, i hate verizon. won't get into that. But reception for my area with sprint has been made available, and its available everywhere i go, and will make me save ~$100/m in my phone bill if i make the switch, my contract with att ends friday.

Blackberry tour - i love the blackberry bold which i have currently
    Palm pre - a lot of people like this phone, has great reviews.
    HTC Hero - i'm a google fan boy, with google voice beta.. and would love to try android, and wouldn't mind making scripts with python.. could be kinda fun.

I just can't decide on which phone i should get friday. I know there are some people who dislike sprint.. if i get service i'm happy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in a college town with 60,000 students and the droid is outstripping the iphone 2 to 1 and it works better. downfall is you can't get either one of them wet or put them in your pants...(beer, sitting down, girlfriends etc)...we need a better device that allows sys admins to jack in to a network remotely with phone capabilities
    Professional Plesk Webhosting.
    No overselling.
    Always available for you.
    http://www.64bithost.com - 1-352-3164619

I have the blackberry tour, it's amazing!

I think you need to add the Droid in there somewhere. Palm will be bankrupt here pretty soon and BlackBerry's interface is pretty disgusting. The iPhone/Android is pretty much where its at now

NOTE: Heck, with the iPhone OS 4.0 revealed, and the new iPhone coming in the next few months, I'd say heck just hold off and go with it.

I would go for the HTC Hero, android is awesome!

I'd stay clear of Palm as they're in dire financial problems. Word is they're desperately seeking a buyer. Basically they're a technological evolutionary dead end outgunned by the likes of the iPhone. They bet everything on the Palm Pre, and that has basically failed with disappointing sales.

Palm stock is down nearly 50% over the last 12mths and they're losing $$$ hand over fist. The best they can hope for is a fire sale with some other technology company buying them maybe for their Intellectual Property, if they have anything of value. Game over.
    Last edited by Aussie Bob; 04-21-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    I'd stay clear of Palm as they're in dire financial problems. Word is they're desperately seeking a buyer. Basically they're a technological evolutionary dead end outgunned by the likes of the iPhone. They bet everything on the Palm Pre, and that has basically failed with disappointing sales.

Palm stock is down nearly 50% over the last 12mths and they're losing $$$ hand over fist. The best they can hope for is a fire sale with some other technology company buying them maybe for their Intellectual Property, if they have anything of value. Game over.
    you are so doom and gloom

Their IP Portfolio is worth a lot, especially to an HTC or lenovo who are or will be Apple targets. Palm's IP is predating Apples in most of the main areas of touch screen phones.

WebOS is far better than android, and they have plenty cash to go for a while, and just got a big investment from an equity firm with a 9% buyin.

the HTC Hero even though i think iphone or t-mobile phones are 10 times better
    my best friend has an iphone and some how he has so much more apps then me (i have a t-mobile sidekick lx i love this phone even though it can't hold up to many apps i just love the look of it and the design of everything in it xD)

you should definitely read the reviews though it all depends on what you prefer

If you have ATT currently then just get an iPhone.
    It will do the work of all three and more, without the hassle, pain or aggravation.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

I suggest the Palm Pre.

I would suggest HTC Hero. You can also give a try for HTC Incredible when it releases.
    If you steal from one author, it’s plagiarism; if you steal from many, it’s research

I'm a blackberry fanboy.

I've currently got the Tour, and its amazing.

~k
    Kody R.
    US Datacenter Operations Manager
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth

What about iPhone
    Hydro Host – Affordable UK Web Hosting - cPanel
    Shared Hosting – Reseller Hosting – Domain Name Registration - Affiliate Program
    www.hydro-host.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12