Dedicated + vBulletin = No E-mail?

Well I installed a vBulletin forum with e-mail validation on a dedicated I setup. The same board worked when I used to have shared hosting, however now when someone signs up some of the time they do not get an e-mail.

Whats the problem? I asked vBulletin and they said it was an issue with my dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintGTR View Post
    Well I installed a vBulletin forum with e-mail validation on a dedicated I setup. The same board worked when I used to have shared hosting, however now when someone signs up some of the time they do not get an e-mail.

Whats the problem? I asked vBulletin and they said it was an issue with my dedicated server.
    How are you sending the emails? Sendmail? PHPMail? SMTP?

I believe its using PHP at the moment.

Can you give us some more information on your dedicated server? Do you have a control panel?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I am new to this, I only bought a dedicated server so I could learn to manage it myself, but here is some info.

CentOS 5.2, cPanel and WHM. Let me know if you need anything else.

Any updates? I have looked into it and it is a dedicated server problem, but I am not so sure as to why its not working?

You should check your exim_mainlog. If you are using PHP mail function and you are running PHP as a Apache user then make sure that you have not selected option "Prevent user nobody from sending emails...." in WHM -> Tweak Settings. I suggest you to use SMTP authentication and see if it works or not.

Kailash
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements
    || Web Hosting Discussion - A Web Hosting community

What am I looking for in exim_mainlog? Also Prevent user nobody from sending emails option is unchecked in WHM.

Sorry, I am quite new to this.

Hello,

Did you specify in vBulletin how it should send emails out? Either via sendmail or with a specific smtp user? Does your /var/log/exim_mainlog or /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log say anything when you attempt to use the signup form?

You will need some technical skill to investigate the root cause. If this is manage dedicated server, I suggest you to forward this issue to them. They should fix this on your behalf.

exim_mainlog contains email logs for your server. If for some reasons, email is not delivered then you can get more information from logs. You will need knowledge of basic commands to find the root cause for your issue.

In meantime, try SMTP authentication instead of PHP mail in your vBulletin setting and see if it helps or not.

Kailash
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements

Heres what it stated. Apparently I do not have a PTR record with a valid Reverse DNS entry, hence some e-mail providers are denying my e-mails.

Any ideas?

To set PTR, you will need to contact your data center (server provider). They should set it for you. You will need to provide them a valid hostname to set PTR. You can create A record like server.yourdomain.com. Point server A record to your main IP address of the server.

Kailash