Rackspace Cloud Review

I wanted to share my experience with Rackspace Cloud, till now their support and service are a+, the control panel used to be slow but not it's fixed, the only problem i faced till now was with their control panel file managed but it's not that important as you can use ftp instead, i have cloud sites account with them to host my site Rapid Zone and i strongly recommend them.

Glad to hear you are enojying them, please let us know if they continue thier good service or if they change. | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Sounds like you found a great service. I'm pleased to hear everything is working out for you. Best of luck!
    We develop brand identity for the web.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Services ~ Custom Web Design, Branding & Identity, Development, Hosting & more!
    Portfolio ~ Websites, User Interfaces, Widgets & more!

hi there,

I believe that RackSpace is one of the best Cloud service providers you can find on the market nowadays. The only thing that concerns me is that the price is a bit higher compare to its competitors.

The other Cloud service provider that you can consider is It is cheaper and has excellent Control Panel features

I suppose get what you pay for. Nice experience. I hope you will keep us updated

Portland, OR
    We've been using the rackspace cloud with great results. Seems our pages are loading faster than normal. We have several graphic intense pages so fast load time are important to us.

My past experience working with the rackspace cloud is its very very slow loading both websites and the admin panel

London, UK
    Just for clarification, I assume you're using Cloud Sites (Mosso) rather than Cloud Servers (which is like a VPS)?
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931 - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Sorry I wasnt clear there, My above comment was Cloud Sites (Mosso)

Thanks for sharing your good experience with rackspace. Follow up the review in future.

i've looked into rackspace cloud sites before, and i'm not really sure what is it about except the price is very high. From my understanding of cloud sites that should be similar to shared hosting, e.g. you do it all via GUI, and they say it is a managed service.

So basically you only get access to their control panel to manage your hosting?

You calculate price per storage bandwidth and computing cycles, but they dont say much about hardware allowance or what hardware resources are in place exactly?

Can someone using cloud sites go in detail on this please?

Quote Originally Posted by xtrac568 View Post
    You calculate price per storage bandwidth and computing cycles, but they dont say much about hardware allowance or what hardware resources are in place exactly?

Can someone using cloud sites go in detail on this please?

First, I wanted to post that so far I'm not very impressed with my experience on the Rackspace Cloud Sites service. The control panel is slow, doing basic installs (mostly CMS packages like Joomla) is VERY slow, I've had multiple database timeouts, there's no support for Django, RoR, or shell access, and the whole control panel has a "kludgy" feel to it, nice looking, but minimally thought out. Support generally seems solid, which is their selling point, but the machines have the same overloaded feel to them that I quit my last shared host for. They offer some cool tools for resellers, like handling billing (for a $2/per invoice charge) but then they don't let you brand the control panel that your customers will use-- which apparently they've been promising to allow for several years now.

On the other hand, I have a couple Slicehost virtual machines which run on Rackspace hardware, and they've been utterly solid and fast.

As to your question Xtrac, it took me a while to get a straight answer from a livechat rep on this topic-- he ended up sending me a sheet with this info:

How many compute cycles will my applications use?

Since web applications vary so greatly, it's hard to make a perfect guess. However, there are some guidelines that can help. First, you can think of 10,000 compute cycles as being about the same processing power as you'd get from a decent dedicated server or Amazon EC2 instance. For example 10,000 compute cycles would power:

* about 2.1 million page views using a database-driven content management system
    * about 11 million page views of
    * about 25 million requests for a static 15KB image

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by belfasttim; 10-19-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typos

Barcelona, Spain
    I hate to say that it took about 20 seconds to load your page from The Netherlands, EU.
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay August View Post
    I hate to say that it took about 20 seconds to load your page from The Netherlands, EU.
    Probably due to this-- which all my sites have been hit by (now showing "unable to connect to DB" or "site unavailable" errors across the board)--

Cloud Site - DFW - | MySQL clusters.wc1 | Degraded

1:56 PM CDT, Rackspace Cloud engineers are currently working to correct the degraded performance issues with our MySQL clusters in our DFW (Dallas/Fort-Worth) data center. You may see degraded performance on your websites within this cluster while our engineers work to resolve this issue. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact a member of our support team. You can reach us by visiting live chat or calling 24-hour toll free 1.877.934.0407 and INTL +1.210.581.0407.

Nice timing!

One of my clients has been using Rackspace for years. He has only good things to say about it.

Its always nice to hear there are happy clients, although there are some who are complaining a bit as well. But overall, I still hear more good reviews. Hope you update us of your experience there. =)