Question Starting A Web Hosting Service?

Well nice forum. I have benn going through it and reading the questions.

I am a Web Designer and would like to start hosting sites to clients. I have a W2K server with 4 web sites on it. All basic sites (static). I use DNS Park for the DNS Severs, cheap. I have a merchant account set up with authorize.net

I have been reading about resell acounts or dedicated servers. My question are these.

1)If I use a reseller account what will people acces to sign up to a new account? Is it a control panel on my website, or do I need software for people to sign up and access there acounts.

2) I have heard people recommand Spashhosting, F5hosting,eMegaweb.net are those good comapnies?

If I start my own hosting site, and use W2K Server, DNS Park, Serv-U FTP, Instant E-mail Server for E-mail. My question is this?

1) What software do I use so people can sign up and access there accounts, I believe it is called a control panel? I guees I have a spot on my webpage that the click and enter username and password and now are able to enter there account to change e-mails, and add features, CGI, PHP. Where would I purchase that stuff if needed.

2) Is there compatible issue with control panels or web mangement software?

Ok enough ? ask

Thanks

HostGator.com - A worldwide leader in Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting.

get a linux server

I agree. Is there even a control panel that supports that configuration? I'd suggest getting a Linux server with Cpanel. Alot of people like Linux's High Security Features, ability to set permissions, etc. You could try Fastservers.net. They are very nice if you want to rent. You could also buy a server from tigerdirect.com and colocate it (ship it to a datacenter for it to be housed) I've heard nice comments about 56marietta.com for that. Since you already have a windows server, you can probably offer linux OR windows hosting. That's sometimes an eyecatcher The downside is that you'd have to setup accounts manually and I'm not that sure that you can limit space or bandwidth. Also.. that might decrease your ability to efficiently organize and control your customers on that server. Hope this help

I would recommend if you're just starting out - find a good resellers plan. Not too expensive, because you need room to make profit. And not too cheap, because you don't want to sacrifice quality support and service.

Also, I think (and this is just my opinion) that CPanel/WHM would be great for the newbie host. Once your client base grows to the point where it would be mmore beneficial to have you own server then you should move up to a managed linux server with CPanel. Unless you plan on learning a bit about server management I'd recommend staying away from those cheap server deals and get a managed server.

ModernBill works nicely with Authorize.net.

My 2 cents...
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

Thanks guys, so much info to take in. Trying to decide on what host to go with this weekend. Love the response.