Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Many small hosts...

Many small hosts are 1 person shops, a lot are just "resellers" for larger hosting companies.
    If one of these guys get in an accident, or something unexpected happens, you will have this type of thing happen.
    As for paypal, My company accepts paypal, and although I have never had a request for a refund in the 6 years we have been in business, I am sure paypal will at least look at your request.
    My company offers monthly prices, and you pay 10X monthly for yearly payment... I love when people pay monthly, I make more money, but I hate when companies advertise $2.99 a month and you have to pay for 36 months up front!!! That to me, is a lie.
    Any deception at all from any business is a clear sign you should look elsewhere!
    Nexxterra.com Web Services
    MassiveServers.com
    Web Hosting, Dedicated servers and Domain Registration - Miami, Florida, USA
    BuyAWebName.com Domain name registration

Maybe you can establish contact with the owner via PM at this forum: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1338440

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RescueHst View Post
    Sadly the business of webhosting either paying yearly or monthly is risky right now in todays economy. I have heard of many hosts that do monthly and yes even yearly go to the wayside and close down becuase of lack of sales.
    If a provider closes down due to *lack of sales* i.e. new orders then they have a cash-flow problem and were not properly managing their finances.

I could tell you that should my company receive no new orders for the next year even if there were the "normal" amount of cancellations the company would still be profitable and functioning.

The thing that is bad - is that it's impossible to tell how well the company's finances are managed because that's privileged information that no provider is going to give out.

On a side note - you're not stupid for signing up for a year - your (ex-)provider is the one that is wrong in this situation for not at least giving you a partial refund or letting you know that they were going to go offline.

Hopefully this is some sort of *long* hiccup and they will come back and you can at least get your data if you need it.

sorry to hear, i agree with everything said. Hope everyone has learned a lesson, sorry you had to learn the hard way. The main thing is you research your host, know there address, number (if they have one).
    XHtml, CSS, and Photoshop | W3C Compliance Coding! | 100% Hand Coding!
    All designs come with 100% Satisfaction
    5+ Years of Experience - PM ME

We're all sorry that this had to happen to you, If you can't contact them on anything, Try contacting PayPal explain your problem and maybe they can give you some type of refund.

Sorry to hear your trouble.
    But as everyone else said, there isn't much you can do now.
    Move to a new host and do a proper research before signing up with them.

I just hope that you do have backup of everything.
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com

I'm having major probs with my host although not as bad as yours. I came here looking for info on migration. I'm guessing it will be a major pain having a seamless migration to a new server (I have forums & lots of business).

Quote Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
    I'm having major probs with my host although not as bad as yours. I came here looking for info on migration. I'm guessing it will be a major pain having a seamless migration to a new server (I have forums & lots of business).
    If your current provider is using cPanel and you want to move to a new host that uses the same, there isn't going to be much trouble.

Check the forums and ask hosts about site migration.
    There are a lot that will be happy to do that for you.

Check if DowntownHost.com meet you needs.
    (Send a PM to Jedito here and tell him I sent you )
    Find solution to every problem ---> Google.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poor View Post
    This host wasn't a scammer, at least not at first. He provided great service for other sites for two years. If something went wrong he would inform us and fix it as soon as possible.
    Something sounds odd... your saying he was in business for over two years yet the twitter feed mentioned earlier in this thread says the first anniversary of the company was September 2nd...

zip mumbles something incoherent to himself

Quote Originally Posted by stigma View Post
    Yeah, this is a really good step to take, If they havent provided the services then put in a claim and the nice people at paypal will have it sorted for you. they really are great over there xD anyway yeah do that and you should be sorted.

- steve
    Sometimes PayPal is too good at this, taking money when money should not be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Sometimes PayPal is too good at this, taking money when money should not be taken.
    I agree, I won't get into details though.
    Loop Internet
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet and Colocation
    99.999% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
    If you go with a host that is experienced with transfers and offers such a service free or for a small fee the chances are that it will go very smoothly. I know that I personally have done hundreds upon hundreds of transfers and in most cases it can be 100% seamless but it depends more on the old provider than the new one as for how seamless/fast the process is. Sometimes things are disabled at the old provider (such as Remote MySQL Access) that can make 100% seamless a tad difficult to achieve.

This has happened to me in the past also, and there are certain ways you can avoid it.

• Go with larger web hosts
    • Don't go with cheapos who promise the world at $0.01/month
    • Try to look for recommendations/reviews of the host before purchasing

I couldn't get in touch with the host in the end, but thank God I kept a local backup.
    Custom Banner Ads
    We make beautiful, effective banner advertisements for all.
    Custom Banner Design

Quote Originally Posted by stigma View Post
    Yeah, this is a really good step to take, If they havent provided the services then put in a claim and the nice people at paypal will have it sorted for you. they really are great over there xD anyway yeah do that and you should be sorted.

- steve
    hahahahhahha Paypal people are not nice. Look at some of the horror stories because of paypal. It is ridiculous how many people they have screwed over.
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - Jackson@vpsforme.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheServerExperts View Post
    Very good advice,

Just ask yourself why should a web hosting provider hide his whois info.
    Spam.
    Spam.
    Spam.

I get phone calls, emails, and mail daily from credit card companies, phone books, and oddly enough hosts...
    PRESSD - Dynamic WordPress Hosting v2 is in BETA status, set to launch 1st q 2019.
    PRESSD is an OKTANE.COMPANY

I was in the hospital for a week.

To quote Pulp Fiction. "When you little scamps get together you're worse then a sewing circle!"

The server is back online. If you're a client, submit a support ticket.
    Last edited by hostbeyond; 10-24-2009 at 08:05 AM.

I think this hostbeyond loads well at the moment, may b its high time u switch to a reliable provider

I don't know where he got that up and down for 3 months, because it's simply not true. Perhaps he exagerated as most people tend to do. I've had 2 major problems since I started hosting last year. The latest involved a trip to the hospital, that's all I'm going to say.

Internet is serious business.

Quote Originally Posted by hostbeyond View Post
    I was in the hospital for a week.

To quote Pulp Fiction. "When you little scamps get together you're worse then a sewing circle!"

The server is back online. If you're a client, submit a support ticket.
    Whilst we have some sympathy for you being in hospital for a week, I have to say:
    I think the OP would have loved to have been able to submit a support ticket,
    but if your site/services were down, he would have been unable.

Anyway, now is the time to put into place a 'dissaster plan', to avoid a repitition of these events.
    I'm assuming the OP was not your only client effected, or should I know better and assume nothing ?

Hope you & the OP get things sorted & your health stays 'OK'.

Quote Originally Posted by Poor View Post
    Well I visited this site that was hosted on his servers for over a year. The host has been running for 2 years before I payed so I thought it would be safe. I guess paying for a year was stupid of me. I only did it for the discount.

PayPal doesn't deal with intangible goods so I don't think they will do anything. I didn't pay with a credit card so I guess there is no way to do a chargeback?
    Paypal gives 100% buyer protection on intangible goods.e.g. domain names websites, webhosting etc
    Open a dispute now on Paypal. My guess is that you will get something from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Whilst we have some sympathy for you being in hospital for a week, I have to say:
    I think the OP would have loved to have been able to submit a support ticket,
    but if your site/services were down, he would have been unable.

Anyway, now is the time to put into place a 'dissaster plan', to avoid a repitition of these events.
    I'm assuming the OP was not your only client effected, or should I know better and assume nothing ?

Hope you & the OP get things sorted & your health stays 'OK'.
    Yeah, I realize that. There was nothing I could do though.

That's a smart idea.

He wasn't the only client affected and I apologized to all clients for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxie View Post
    Paypal gives 100% buyer protection on intangible goods.e.g. domain names websites, webhosting etc
    Open a dispute now on Paypal. My guess is that you will get something from them.
    Yes, they do. I currently have about 9 disputes open and barely enough to cover the costs of this months server bill. If I knew who the possible client was then I could better assist him in resolving the matter.

Supply and Demand is what drives Hosting Companies to offer those kind of deals....

Many times, this simply backfires and the hosting company disappears by cutting their losses.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

If I recall correctly, Paypal gives no buyer protection for intangibles. If the provider replies, the dispute is lost. A high number of disputes would still go against the provider's record, and in that sense it may be worthile.

I replied to all disputes. However, I was not aware of that. The point I was trying to make is I can't afford to give out any more refunds at the moment. I have 2 choices. To either cut my losses and leave or try to rebuild with what I've got. Whether clients want to leave, that's up to them but I can offer credit towards hosting.

Then maybe I can get some off site back up service additional staff, so this type of situation doesn't happen again. I started hosting to just pay for a server. I never expected nor wanted to get popular.

I don't know where he got that up and down for 3 months, because it's simply not true. Perhaps he exagerated as most people tend to do. I've had 2 major problems since I started hosting last year. The latest involved a trip to the hospital, that's all I'm going to say.
    Hard to know - it could be a lot of things that would cause them issues when the server itself was online or they could be exaggerating.

As for you being in the hospital - you either need to have a backup plan or making obvious to your clients that you are a one-man show and that if things go down due to you being ill or in the hospital that they are just going to have to wait. I guess what I'm getting at is don't say 24/7 support and promise 99.X% uptime if it's not really available 100% of the time.

Internet is serious business.
    When you are running an internet business offering internet services - it is very much so. If you're simply browsing Facebook or MySpace I wouldn't say the ability to that was as important or "serious business."

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxie View Post
    Nope - the only way a dispute will be won on an intangible good is if the PayPal account (or credit card used) was actually stolen and the charge is legitimately fraudulent and there is evidence to substantiate that.

I replied to all disputes. However, I was not aware of that. The point I was trying to make is I can't afford to give out any more refunds at the moment. I have 2 choices. To either cut my losses and leave or try to rebuild with what I've got. Whether clients want to leave, that's up to them but I can offer credit towards hosting.
    It is very important to keep extra cash available in the event that something should happen - don't offer a refund policy if you can't really refund each and every person if they request it and make sure that your refund policy isn't so long that you can't ever touch the funds paid to you without having to worry about having the money on hand.

Then maybe I can get some off site back up service additional staff, so this type of situation doesn't happen again. I started hosting to just pay for a server. I never expected nor wanted to get popular.
    If you're not in it because you love doing it then chances are you're going to stop doing it sooner rather than later - maybe take this as an opportunity to get back to doing what you really want to do as apposed to doing something you don't really seem to enjoy?

If you do decide to do that - I wouldn't just shut it all down and walk away - do the honest thing and let everybody know what is going on and give them time to migrate to other providers.

If you don't want to do that, just host the number of people you need to keep things afloat and then shut off new orders or raise your prices ridiculously high. This way you either won't get new orders or new orders will be will worth the effort due to how much they are paying you. These are a couple of simple alternatives to keep you from going larger than you want while still having enough clients to have the funds to do what you want to do.

Good luck!
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-25-2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast