Cisco 4500 with NetFlow support

Hi,

I am putting together a switch with NetFlow support to better monitor traffic.

So I am thinking of getting WS-C4503 chassis w/ 2 PWR-C45-1000AC.

For the Line cards, I know NetFlow needs a minimum of SUP IV.

I found 2 line cards WS-X4515 and WS-F4531.

For the distribution line card I will use WS-X4424-GB-RJ45

So here are my questions.

1) Do I need BOTH WS-X4515 and WS-F4531 for the NetFlow capability?

2) Do I need any special licensing from cisco to enable netflow on these devices?

3) Will all of these line cards work with the chassis? Cisco.com says they will but just want to get the community's thoughts as well .

Let me know.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Why waste your money on a 4000, go with a 6500

You think so?

Because the 6500 chassis are so big with so many slots, I didnt think I needed that many.

Quote Originally Posted by HNLV View Post
    You think so?

Because the 6500 chassis are so big with so many slots, I didnt think I needed that many.
    Well a sup 4 on the 4500 will run you double, if not more than a sup2 in the 6500 chassis. Granted a sup4 is 48mpps and a sup2 is only 30mpps. The 6500 gives you the flexibility of the 6500 chassis and a clear (more cost effective) upgrade path in supervisors as you grow as well with seamless moves to sup32/720/7203bxl, etc.

You also have a greater selection of line cards on the 6500 and service modules should you ever use them.

If you would like I can put you in touch with our Cisco vendor, I'm sure they can beat anyone's rates with quality gear too, no fake Chinese stuff

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix View Post
    no fake Chinese stuff

I would love that. Please PM me your sales manager details.

BTW, are these used or new?

It seems SUP2 in 6500 can do IPv6 in only Software...not hardware....

It seems SUP2 in 6500 can do IPv6 in only Software...not hardware....

i wouldn't use a sup2 for ipv6. sup2's are great for default ipv4 bgp routes and starting needs.

If you want to take on full routing tables you have no choice but to take a sup720-3bxl. hence why sup2's are sub 100/each now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    i wouldn't use a sup2 for ipv6. sup2's are great for default ipv4 bgp routes and starting needs.

If you want to take on full routing tables you have no choice but to take a sup720-3bxl. hence why sup2's are sub 100/each now.
    Gotcha, IPv6 is kinda important at this point especially since we just got a /32 from ARIN.

What about SUP 32s?

Well a sup 4 on the 4500 will run you double, if not more than a sup2 in the 6500 chassis. Granted a sup4 is 48mpps and a sup2 is only 30mpps. The 6500 gives you the flexibility of the 6500 chassis and a clear (more cost effective) upgrade path in supervisors as you grow as well with seamless moves to sup32/720/7203bxl, etc.

You also have a greater selection of line cards on the 6500 and service modules should you ever use them.

If you would like I can put you in touch with our Cisco vendor, I'm sure they can beat anyone's rates with quality gear too, no fake Chinese stuff
    Can you put me in contact as well?

Also it seems if I WS-SUP720-3B is also an alternative. Right now we are not running any routes since BGP is run by the datacenter.

Also it seems if I WS-SUP720-3B is also an alternative. Right now we are not running any routes since BGP is run by the datacenter.
    Dont waste your time.

If you dont get a 3bxl, dont get a sup720 for 99% of the cases out there.

None of the lower supervisor engines will handle a full table in hardware, before dual-stacking is even considered. You don't want to be software routing in IOS, there are a variety of unpredictable bugs. Moreover, you don't want to be wasting your $.

As a previous poster said, at < $100/ea for a sup2/msfc2, unless you're never going to do BGP, but need to push 10gbps+ on a chassis, theres no compelling reason to go past sup2.

Having said that, get a 7600, dont waste the money on a 6500

(half tongue-in-cheek there. 7600 is a much better longterm buy [eg. 7604], if you can source the power supplies themselves at a comparable price, everything else is equivalent).

I know I wont be doing BGP anytime in the near future...but I will be doing IPv6...that cause issues if I use SUP2 as spudstr said correct?

I know I wont be doing BGP anytime in the near future...but I will be doing IPv6...that cause issues if I use SUP2 as spudstr said correct?
    Yeah, sorry I didn't see IPV6 in your original post or I wouldn't have recommended the SUP2, if it was just for basic ipv4 & L3 vlans w/netflow collections you would be fine with the sup2. Definitely 720 or better, both 720s and 720-3b's have come way down in price these days.

I'll PM you the sales rep we use for cisco gear, we've referred a number of WHT users over to them and they've always had great results with pricing and service.

Its my fault I didnt mention IPv6 initially as ai assumed all of these would support it fine. But it was not until I saw SUP2 specifically said IPv6 via software is when I realized IPv6 was important.

Yeah, sorry I didn't see IPV6 in your original post or I wouldn't have recommended the SUP2, if it was just for basic ipv4 & L3 vlans w/netflow collections you would be fine with the sup2. Definitely 720 or better, both 720s and 720-3b's have come way down in price these days.

I'll PM you the sales rep we use for cisco gear, we've referred a number of WHT users over to them and they've always had great results with pricing and service.

recheck your 3bxl and 3b prices. 3bxls are going for 10k+ now for some odd reason. Theres a run on the cisco market.

Case/due to this we actually just got two Foundry XMR's. Due to foundrys end of year pricing this month and what we can get a new XMR for and slightly better a MLX if you don't need more than 512k routes you are very comperable to a cisco 3bxl and eir 4x 10g xenpak cards. And foundry comes with support

Its my fault I didnt mention IPv6 initially as ai assumed all of these would support it fine. But it was not until I saw SUP2 specifically said IPv6 via software is when I realized IPv6 was important.
    Depending on the volumes being pushed, you may want to investigate the juniper J series. I've heard a lot of good things about 'em (some of our customers use 'em), they're reasonably cost effective (check froogle after you figure out which series fits your needs best, to get a general idea), and everyone (I know at least) loves Juniper for routing/stability .

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    depending on the amount of bw you are pushing, a 7206 with a NPE-G2 will work wonders for you as well.
    Almost the same price as a Sup720-3BXL, but a much less useful platform. If you can afford a NPE-G2, you can afford a sup720-3bxl.

6500 is not a very good platform for netflow.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Netflow is pretty bad on 6509. If memory serves, I got good numbers out of a Juniper M20.

For lower cost, you may want to look at sFlow insteaf of Netflow, and a Force10 or Procurve switch in-line for monitoring purposes (for example, between your upstream(s) and you). Or run a span port from a Catalyst in the same locaiton(s), to a host running analysis software.

Thanks for all your inputs so far.

Btw, I wont be doing any advance routing or BGP or push more than 1gbit of data anytime soon. I know its good to have those advance features if I am spending money but the price is too high for those features that I might not even be using, ever. So I am not sure if something like Juniper will help me at this point.

So sFlow is better than NetFlow? From what little I searched it seems sFlow collects data using dedicated chip as opposed netflow which uses software based technology.

I want to stick with Cisco as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    6500 is not a very good platform for netflow.
    Which cisco product is then good for NetFlow?

So then...I also started looking into Juniper.

Thinking of may be getting J2320 w/ JXU-8GE-TX-S.

I have the following questions though.

1) Does it support NetFlow?

2) Is there additional pricing to "enable" netflow feature?

3) Can this device support at least 1 GBPS of network capacity?

Let me know.