Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1

    Namecheap - DO NOT HOST WITH THEM!

    This is a very important announcement to anyone with Namecheap.com or looking to host a site with them!.

    DO NOT....

    I recently moved all my websites from a hosting company in Australia to Namecheap servers. Everything started out ok and they even helped me upload my websites (I am not tech minded)

    After a month (I lost 2 days first month due to server problems there end) I have now encountered something disgusting!.

    This week my website suddenly went offline and I could not receive emails. I contacted there support and was informed my account was suspended as there had been a malicuos script installed on my site and until I agree to move it my account was suspended.

    As I had no idea a friend looked for me and said someone had hacked my account and installed a trojan in my webshop.

    I contacted namecheap and asked them to remove it (as mentioned I dont know about tech stuff) which they did as requested I did not install scripts again. I informed them I did not and was very concerened my account on there host had been hacked.

    Then today my sites are down again... I contacted support again and was informed there servers were being updated and to wait 1 or 2 hours.

    After 8 hour I wrote another support ticket complaining of lost business time (again1) they messaged me back to tell me that I HAD HACKED THERE SERVERS and my account was now locked and blocked me from access UNTIL I SENT THEM MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS AND PASSPORT ID (to me that is illegal why do you provide anyone online this informaiton!) they said they had evidence that I had hacked there servers through my site and cost them in business.

    So I have now lost my whole business to them... they hold me to ransom... I have done nothing wrong apart from complain about my site being hacked (as mentioned I did not even know how to upload my website to the host so how would I know how to hack a server!!!!).

    They are refusing to unlock my account allow me to get a back up of my site or move my DNS to another host.

    I HAVE LOST EVERYTHING.... I REPEAT THEY HAVE TREATED ME LIKE A CRIMINAL AND TAKEN MY BUSINESS FROM ME.

    All I have done is try to complain about website downtime and complain about someone hacking my site so soon after being moved to thier servers!.

    I have now read a few posts this is common with them

    Does anyone know what rights I have or what I can do... I am lost I distraught with this... my small online business that I built up over a few years has completley been taken from me... and I dont even know why or how?.

    Paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,570
    From many reviews here on WHT, most domain registrars don't make good web hosts. Sorry this happened to you.

  3. #3
    Is there anything I can do about this???.... my whole business taken from me!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    From many reviews here on WHT, most domain registrars don't make good web hosts.
    Truely.And sorry to hear that,Paul.
    If you got your site's backup,you should hurry to find another one to move on.Complaining makes no effort.Most hosts have words on "no responsible for infomation loss,especially it was hacked.".
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    4,680
    In many of my posts here on WHT i always tell users not to host with a domain registrar. The reviews most of the time end up bad. There are hosting companies that specialize in hosting and there are ones that specialize in domains. Always have them separate. I hope you get everything sorted out.

    - Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Urban View Post

    Does anyone know what rights I have or what I can do... I am lost I distraught with this... my small online business that I built up over a few years has completley been taken from me... and I dont even know why or how?.

    Paul
    Read their TOS, chances are it states that they are not responsible for any damage you or your business incurs as a result of any failures on their part.

    18. Limitation of Liability; Waiver and Release. The services offered by NameCheap are being provided on an "AS IS" and NameCheap expressly disclaims any and all warranties, whether express or implied, including without limitation any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, to the fullest extent permitted or authorized by law. Without limitation of the foregoing, NameCheap expressly does not warrant that the NameCheap products and/or services will meet Your requirements, function as intended, or that the use of the provided services will be uninterrupted or error free. In no event shall NameCheap be liable for any or all direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement of substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including, but not limited to, negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of the services, even if NameCheap is aware of or has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
    You have no choice but to cut your losses, find a good HOSTING provider and move.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    152
    If you have a business, contact a lawyer show him the support tickets let him handle it. OR Contact your insurance company and cut the loss and claim it to get some start up capital to start your business over again.
    or
    Send in what info they are asking for and ask then to review your support tickets for verification that you had a (cracker/hacker) problem.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    16,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Urban View Post
    Is there anything I can do about this???.... my whole business taken from me!
    Did you have any sort of backups of your site? If not all you can do is try to get them to make them available to you but if they refuse I don't know that you can do anything more.

    Obviously you can speak with an attorney and see what they have to say (as I am certainly not an attorney).
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    From many reviews here on WHT, most domain registrars don't make good web hosts. Sorry this happened to you.
    I totally agree with you on that

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    95
    I agree.... domain registrars are really good at maintaining domains but not at maintaining good hosting...

    Although namecheap has really cool offers with domains but they surely aren't that good at hosting.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Midcoast Maine
    Posts
    306
    If you have your backup, I'd move away from them as quick as you can. They do not do webhosting very well at all. I was with them for six months and in that time I had to deal with extended downtime, misconfigured servers (my rss feed wouldn't work thanks to it and yes I have the support emails to back up that statement ) and numerous suspensions of a very low trafficked site for resource abuse. And by low traffic I mean maximum 50 a day. All because a bot was crawling the site.

    Sorry to hear about your problems, and hope you have a backup to move someplace better.
    Sue

    A generation which ignores history has no past and no future. --Lazarus Long

  12. #12
    CHEAP HOST= CHEAP SERVICE

    What did you expect from them in the first place. it's hard to find a very cheap host provider that offer very good sevice.

  13. #13
    When all of this has been settled, which it hopefully will, consider going with a webhosting service that can give you more of a managed service for your website/s. This will cost more, surely, but will give you peace of mind as far as security concerns and data integrity go.

    Best of luck!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by afam4eva View Post
    CHEAP HOST= CHEAP SERVICE

    What did you expect from them in the first place. it's hard to find a very cheap host provider that offer very good sevice.
    I disagree with you afam4eva at this point because its not always necessary that a provider offering cheap hosting will provide cheat service.

    I would always say that first you should try a provider and then only decide. May be you can be proved wrong.

  15. #15
    Host companies are out to make profit, so of what use will it be for them if don't reap the dividends of their service.

    All they do is jam pack so many websites on one server.

  16. #16
    There are hosting companies that specialize in hosting and there are ones that specialize in domains. Always have them separate
    Totally agree, I dont think they manage or maintain there servers like a dedicated web host.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ncubehosting View Post
    Totally agree, I dont think they manage or maintain there servers like a dedicated web host.
    There can be issues with outdated (ie insecure) scripts as well. Thus, without knowing more details of the OP's unfortunate experience it is hard to say what the actual cause was.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,857

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Urban View Post
    This is a very important announcement to anyone with Namecheap.com or looking to host a site with them!.

    DO NOT....

    I recently moved all my websites from a hosting company in Australia to Namecheap servers. Everything started out ok and they even helped me upload my websites (I am not tech minded)

    After a month (I lost 2 days first month due to server problems there end) I have now encountered something disgusting!.

    This week my website suddenly went offline and I could not receive emails. I contacted there support and was informed my account was suspended as there had been a malicuos script installed on my site and until I agree to move it my account was suspended.

    As I had no idea a friend looked for me and said someone had hacked my account and installed a trojan in my webshop.

    I contacted namecheap and asked them to remove it (as mentioned I dont know about tech stuff) which they did as requested I did not install scripts again. I informed them I did not and was very concerened my account on there host had been hacked.

    Then today my sites are down again... I contacted support again and was informed there servers were being updated and to wait 1 or 2 hours.

    After 8 hour I wrote another support ticket complaining of lost business time (again1) they messaged me back to tell me that I HAD HACKED THERE SERVERS and my account was now locked and blocked me from access UNTIL I SENT THEM MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS AND PASSPORT ID (to me that is illegal why do you provide anyone online this informaiton!) they said they had evidence that I had hacked there servers through my site and cost them in business.

    So I have now lost my whole business to them... they hold me to ransom... I have done nothing wrong apart from complain about my site being hacked (as mentioned I did not even know how to upload my website to the host so how would I know how to hack a server!!!!).

    They are refusing to unlock my account allow me to get a back up of my site or move my DNS to another host.

    I HAVE LOST EVERYTHING.... I REPEAT THEY HAVE TREATED ME LIKE A CRIMINAL AND TAKEN MY BUSINESS FROM ME.

    All I have done is try to complain about website downtime and complain about someone hacking my site so soon after being moved to thier servers!.

    I have now read a few posts this is common with them

    Does anyone know what rights I have or what I can do... I am lost I distraught with this... my small online business that I built up over a few years has completley been taken from me... and I dont even know why or how?.

    Paul
    Paul,

    Let's get the true story out in the open here. Around 6.45pm UTC on Friday 9th October, your account using your access credentials attempted to run a defacing script to deface all sites on the server. Unfortunately some sites were successfully defaced and as a preventative measure while we scanned the server for any other intrusions, all sites were quickly transferred to one of our standby servers that we keep online for emergencies.

    The script that was executed unfortunately deleted access logs but we did get snapshot of the realtime processes running, originating from your account. This means that either:

    1) You executed these malicious scripts
    2) Someone did it through your account, having got your credentials through poor password practices or a trojan on your pc

    We did not make an initial public statement on this as our priority was to prevent any extended service interruption and investigate exactly what happened.

    And at the other hosting companies attempting to take cheap shots at us... I suggest you consider your own security practices instead of jumping on the bandwagon suggesting we are amateurs. Unfortunately, security incidents can affect us all and as I'm sure you know, hackers are always looking for new ways in. It is the way you mitigate and manage these threats that sets you apart from the crowd and for someone as high profile as us dealing with threats on a daily basis, I think we do a pretty good job overall.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by ncubehosting View Post
    Totally agree, I dont think they manage or maintain there servers like a dedicated web host.
    We have our own private suite in which our servers are housed. We have separate teams entirely dedicated to administering our servers, providing technical support and billing teams.

    To suggest we do not take hosting seriously is a joke. It is one of our core products, along with domain names and ssl certificates. We will actually be setting up specialist websites for each of these products - web-hosting.com and cheapssls.com in the near future as recognition that NameCheap.com is perceived as a registrar.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by ncubehosting View Post
    Totally agree, I dont think they manage or maintain there servers like a dedicated web host.
    Thanks for your input here. My, there is certainly a lot of conflict of interest posting in this thread.

    To say we cannot run a domain registrar and a hosting company at the same time is pretty ridiculous.

    We have two separate teams dedicated to each. Our hosting sales, tech and support team is 100% dedicated to hosting and only hosting. This is no different than any other hosting company out there.

    Now if you've used our services and had an issue that's fine, you may post that and we will do our best to address it. Nothing wrong at all with that, in fact it helps us address our shortcomings better.

    What I don't find at all kosher is competitors chiming in here trying to denigrate our brand based on some speculation or mis-informed judgement with no actual experience with our services. Please show some more etiquette in the future. Not only that, isn't it against the TOS here at WHT?
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 10-12-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo fix
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    643
    I assume you need to take that easy as all we have as satisfied as unsatisfied customers.
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

  22. #22
    that means, you have INSECURE scripts on your website.
    someone scanned your website and found a HOLE in your website and able to execute their deface script.
    companies should know this and inform their customers to update their scripts and only temp suspend account till all scripts are updated and fixed to prevent future hackage and agree to keep them updated.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    eastern USA
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse_103 View Post
    companies should know this and inform their customers to update their scripts and only temp suspend account till all scripts are updated and fixed to prevent future hackage and agree to keep them updated.
    You must have missed the part that this was the SECOND offence.

    My take is that the OP and his friend have no clue what they were doing and repeated it a second time.

  24. #24
    Matt,

    Thank you for your post... it is nice that you have finally responded to me somewhere because your support team are not answering or assisting my questions on your "support" site.

    Your support informed me that an attack had been made on my webshop (although it was mentioned I did it - why would I attack my own webshop!)

    I asked them for help to remove it (as I am not web savvy!) they did and requested I change name and password (resolved late at night UK time) before I could do this the next morning my site was down and locked!

    Secondly all attempts to communicate with you have been futile!.. your support team mention that all this happened and accuse me of hacking your servers but have not informed me exactly what happened and how.

    I have mentioned many times I would like to assist anyway possible, I have never given my password to anyone, (4 years with Hostingbay in Australia never a problem, with you for one month and this happens, how do I know this was my end or yours or it even happened!)

    Thirdly why will you not release my Domain names to another host, your support team mention that you will not whilst there is an investigation, How does blocking my DNS assist with an investigation, and how long will this investigation take? (I have lost my business overnight because of this), no websites, emails, clients unable to contact me etc...

    Of the thousands of clients you must have I am surly not the only non web savvy person to have there site hosted and someone hack it, is there not security measures on your servers to protect the server from these? how can this have caused the damage your support team claim that has been done?

    Matt I deeply regret what has happened although I still dont know how, what, why or who did this and will do anything possible to help solve this.

    You forget that because of this my little online business that is reselling Mind Mapping software has now vanished and all efforts to communicate with you are being blocked with - Cannot provide you information or info on your DNS change whilst investigation in progress.

    Matt it is also dissapointing that you do not talk to me over the telephone, I have called your number (not listed or provided anywhere on your site or by your support team - obtained through whois)and left a message for you or anyone to call me so I can assist or find out what happened or anything to get this resolved but have had no contact.

    Please show some compassion for someone who is just trying to get along online, and release my DNS. I am not a criminal or a hacker I have virus protection on my PC (Norton), all I want to do is get my business back that I have worked on for 4 years.

    Paul Urban

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    1,349
    Unbelievable responses to this thread! There are like a half dozen similar threads on this forum from incompetent customers who blame the hosting company for their own mistakes. The standard response from WHT posters is to basically tear the OP apart. But for some reason they are all sympathetic to this poster. Is it because namecheap hosting is a real threat to you guys? The OP himself admits that his site got hacked. What else do you expect from namecheap but to kick him out!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185
    Hello,
    While I cannot testify on the Security of NameCheap's Servers, I will say that as a domain registar, they are great. Unlike some of the above hosts who made it a point to slam NameCheap's server quality, I will not go that route.

    What does bother me however is the fact that NameCheap is witholding this customers domain and data. The OP Said that they are even blocking locking Domain Transfers, which I believe that violates ICANN policies. This was never addressed by the 2 reps from NameCheap, it would be great for them to confirm that this is not the case. As far as the customer data, if it still exists on your server, I would advise that you turn it over to the customer as I am very sure that he did not purchase hosting with the intent of hacking your servers.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

  27. #27
    WHT Addict please elaborate!.

    As mentioned I dont know if my site was hacked this is what NameCheap informed me (no proof) Secondly I have not done anything different from what I have for 4 years online (never give passwords, Virus Protection on my PC, etc..) How am I incompetent?, does trying to have an online business mean I have to be a high tech webmaster that knows what - scripts, trojans, server things etc..

    I do however Resell Mind Mapping software and my own ebook its my passion, I know sales and marketing plus many other things which take time in building an online business, however you say I am incompetent because I am not 100% "web savvy" and someone (or if someone!) hacks my site and damages the hosts server... From my knowledge that must make around 96% of us trying to make an online business incompetent.

    Please let me know where I am going wrong???
    Paul

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Urban View Post
    WHT Addict please elaborate!.

    As mentioned I dont know if my site was hacked this is what NameCheap informed me (no proof) Secondly I have not done anything different from what I have for 4 years online (never give passwords, Virus Protection on my PC, etc..) How am I incompetent?, does trying to have an online business mean I have to be a high tech webmaster that knows what - scripts, trojans, server things etc..
    Yes it does! You either know that stuff or you hire someone who does and can keep you from getting hacked again and again. You know the old time vs. money tradeoff. Take the time to learn or hire someone who has.

    Let me explain. These are things you have to experience to understand. Basically shared hosting providers have profit margins that are measured in single digits. So they can't be bothered worrying about customers who get hacked over and over again. NO shared hosting provider will tolerate such a customer. Its not just the support labour costs. Its the danger you pose to other customers on the same server! They have a responsibility towards all their customers.

    I should tell you I went through something similar myself. One of my sites offered a service to the general public and it got abused. Even though I was not the abuser I got into trouble with my host. So life is unfair! Adapt like a true entrepreneur!

  29. #29
    Well I do agree with you on that one its certainly a lesson learnt!. I suppose 4 years with no problems was a "good run" I will be much more aware of this in future. I understand namecheap for locking my account for the safety of others on that server also.

    HOWEVER... Punishing me for being the "unlucky" site that it happened to by taking my doamin names from me and not transfering them is not a solution to anyone!.

    I want to move on but what do you suggest? clients who have known my website URL's for years suddenly cannot access my site, email me,

    I suppose I could put the sites under another domain name but the businesses reputation is tarnished badly for sure. Anyway thanks for the advice... eyes have been opened by this and lesson painfully learned for sure!.

    Keith thank you also for your post and insight you mention ICAAN policy will they be able to assist me in trying to rescue my Domains?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Urban View Post
    Well I do agree with you on that one its certainly a lesson learnt!. I suppose 4 years with no problems was a "good run" I will be much more aware of this in future. I understand namecheap for locking my account for the safety of others on that server also.

    HOWEVER... Punishing me for being the "unlucky" site that it happened to by taking my doamin names from me and not transfering them is not a solution to anyone!.

    I want to move on but what do you suggest? clients who have known my website URL's for years suddenly cannot access my site, email me,

    I suppose I could put the sites under another domain name but the businesses reputation is tarnished badly for sure. Anyway thanks for the advice... eyes have been opened by this and lesson painfully learned for sure!.

    Keith thank you also for your post and insight you mention ICAAN policy will they be able to assist me in trying to rescue my Domains?
    Yeah I understand what you mean. The domain name tends to be pretty irreplaceable. You can replace the website from backups but what do you do if you loose the domain? Try to reason with them. If they don't listen then consider legal action if you can afford it. As it is they'll point to their TOS that prohibits spamming or abuse. So you'll have to take them to court to put that to the test.

    That is how it is online. Its the wild wild west out here! There is even a domain registrar called wild wild west domains !

    There is a rule of thumb with regards to domain and hosting that you would do well to remember in the future. You never keep the domains and hosting with the same company.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    182
    Let's look at it this way, with the 2 points I see:

    - You recently moved your hosting account to Namecheap
    - There was a defacing script which was ran from your account, using your credentials to access the server.

    As a host, the primary concerns when a security issue like this occur are to isolate and stop the problem, locate any damage done, and see what can be done to prevent this from happening in the future.

    To me, it is entirely logical that Namecheap would lock your account and request verification that you are indeed the who you say you are, your method of payment is indeed valid, and you are not a hacker who intentionally just moved an account to their servers with the intent of running this defacing script.

    IMO - verify your identity with them, unlock and resolve your issues, then decide what you will do with your account. It is 100% up to you to make sure that scripts you are running on your store are up to date and all the latest patches applied. As said before, if you don't know how to do this yourself - pay someone.
    Wayne Reavill. CEO,
    WebHostingBuzz.com

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-R View Post
    To me, it is entirely logical that Namecheap would lock your account and request verification that you are indeed the who you say you are, your method of payment is indeed valid, and you are not a hacker who intentionally just moved an account to their servers with the intent of running this defacing script.

    IMO - verify your identity with them
    Thanks Wayne, this is exactly right. We still have our doubts that the OP truly wasn't the hacker himself.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185
    Quote Originally Posted by enetwork View Post
    Thanks Wayne, this is exactly right. We still have our doubts that the OP truly wasn't the hacker himself.
    Regardless,
    I do not think you can actually withold a domain name, I am not an ICANN Specialist, but I am sure there is a clause in there. I personally do not belive your client intentionally attacked your services because of the following.
    • He wants his content back - Most scammers know that the content and domains they are purchasing will never be returned and thus use the site for the sole purpose of scamming. They dont care about the data.
    • Most hackers purchase cheap domains on cheap (or free) accounts to do their dirty work. Thus they dont care about the domain or account.
    • The OP Sounds heartfelt on his post here. He seems to run an online store, I am sure that is true based on his first contact with your help desk. Again, most users who sign up for accounts with the purpose of attacking your servers want to get in and get out quickly.
    I know both NameCheap and the OP has suffered a great loss, however it sort of seems to me like NameCheap is out for some Pay Back. Most hosts DO NOT ask for ID and I would never even think of sending you a copy of my credit card. NameCheap should at least release the customers domain and provide a .zip copy of the backup.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    Most hosts DO NOT ask for ID and I would never even think of sending you a copy of my credit card.
    While many hosts don't ask, some do as you observed. Unfortunately these things can turn into he-said-she-said disputes, which is why some hosts desire some kind of valid identification to help verify certain claims.

    Also unfortunately, NameCheap is arguably within their contractual rights with ICANN on why they're currently denying access (and transfer) of Mr. Urban's desire to transfer his domain name to another registrar. If one searches ICANN's site for registrar transfer policies, it's debatably under "evidence of fraud".

    Note: I said arguably and debatably because we all can argue or debate all day, week, month long what NameCheap did is or isn't evidence of fraud. It so happens NameCheap's in a greater position, and it is their resources they need to look after also.

    Again unfortunately, I agree with Wayne-R's post that Mr. Urban ought to do as NameCheap asked. Many of us understand the hesitation to do so since we'd pretty much feel the same way, but not doing so will only prolong the agony.

    In any case, I do hope Mr. Urban and NameCheap find a way to resolve this somehow without further aggravation. Otherwise, good luck to both.

  35. #35
    Never get web hosting with a company that is primarily a domain registrar
    GlumboUploads - File hosting without wait-times or CAPTCHAs
    RichPeopleThings - Blog about rich people and luxury items

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by DakNet View Post
    Never get web hosting with a company that is primarily a domain registrar
    That is not an option at all. All depends on the certain company only

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    This is not at all about payback. We conduct verification checks all the time when fraud is suspected. It is a fairly simple process and rather quick. There should be no reason why the OP should be afraid unless he actually did something wrong. And yes, we do lock accounts when fraud, hijacking, hacking is involved and conduct an investigation. It is a standard procedure across all registrars. I hope yours would do the same for your own protection.

    There is hacking involved here. Is it really that out of the question to ask for verification in any case? Who's to say this isn't a case of social engineering being used here, for example?

    Sorry we don't operate as loosely as others here are suggesting. We prefer to do our due diligence. As far as the domain goes, this could have all been over in a matter of minutes if the verification process would have been completed when requested.
    Last edited by enetwork; 10-16-2009 at 04:08 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    One other detail I'd like to mention here, the hacking came from the OP's ip and login so either he has an insecure wifi network and someone's got in that way or a trojan on his pc. In any case, his domains would have been at risk in this siuation as well.

    Either way, I've been informed that this account has been unlocked after being verified.
    Last edited by enetwork; 10-16-2009 at 04:36 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    eastern USA
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    Most hosts DO NOT ask for ID
    You know this how? You queried the thousands of hosts out there???


    I wouldn't be surprised that some time in the future the OP finds that he lost control of his domains because someone gained backdoor access to them.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    19,185
    Quote Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
    You know this how? You queried the thousands of hosts out there???


    I wouldn't be surprised that some time in the future the OP finds that he lost control of his domains because someone gained backdoor access to them.
    Hello,
    Lets ust say I have been around the block a few times. The ONLY time I have been asked for ID on a Shared Host is when I requested Shell Access from my old host (Going back a few years).

    I do know some hosts do make you sign a credit card auth form which may require a ID, but this is not the case of those who use PayPal. My Provder has this policy, but since I use PayPal for payments...
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 06:01 AM
  2. where is that namecheap guy!!
    By Project X in forum Domain Names
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 05:36 AM
  3. ugh.... namecheap... how could you?
    By Project X in forum Domain Names
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 06:19 PM
  4. Help with namecheap
    By BOYER in forum Other Offers & Requests
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 10:53 PM
  5. Namecheap - Host Records
    By outofspace in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •