Nesbie Question - Webhosting and Domain Registar

Guys please be nice, if I ask some really dumb questions.

I have been with 1and1 for about 4 years, with a beginner package. I use it for Gallery, my son set it all up for me and he now lives out of town.

1and1 host the website and is the domain registar. I would like more space, as Im about out.

So here is what I am thinking of doing. Move the domain to Godaddy.com for registration. I just think if i want to move things in the future, it would be easier, to have the domain and the hosting seperate.

Then for webhosting, I am thinking of Justhost, or Surpass (my son has them) or third is JustGator (its more $).

I dont really want this tread to be abot which host, i think its a crap shoot, the review sites are pretty worthless, so many sponsored by the recomend host themselves.

My main quiestion is: Do i transfer the domain to godaddy first, then, point it back to 1and1 for the time being. Assuming i can transfter just the domain name without cancelling everything at 1and1. then in the meantime, pick a hosting company and get that set up, then cancel the site hosting with 1and 1.

i would like to make this all as quick and painless as possible, as my email is on the domain, and dont want to be without email for an extended amount of time

so what comes first? the chicken or the egg. I need some guidance.

thanks in advance guys

You should be able to transfer the domain to GoDaddy then simply change the nameservers to point to 1and1. I don't see how if you transfer your domain, 1and1 will cancel your hosting.

Prepare for long term relationships with any of the hosts you mentioned if you want the advertised price.

Your nameservers should already be pointed to 1 and 1, so when you do the transfer they'll still remain the same. You shouldn't worry about them cancelling your hosting.

Nice to see that you realize that all those top 10 sites are affiliates of the hosting companies. Many people get tricked. You get to be #1 by having the best payout multiplied by conversion rate.

Just to tie everything together, I actually have a top 10 list that's hosted with just host. Haven't had any problems with them. Site is always up.

Nice idea.First have your site and the domain separated would be perfect.Transfer the domain to godaddy first is recommended.
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

First of all when does your domain expire? Hopefully it doesn't expire soon, as you can't transfer a domain if it expires within the next 30 days. I could be wrong about that.

Transfer the domain first from 1and1 to GoDaddy.

I believe 1and1 uses their own proprietary control panel. So after you switch web hosts, they probably will NOT transfer your web site for you. Make sure to ask your prospective web hosts first if they will transfer your web site currently hosted with 1and1?

BTW are you in Washington state? Just noticed the 509 in your user name and wondered if that's your area code.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    First of all when does your domain expire? Hopefully it doesn't expire soon, as you can't transfer a domain if it expires within the next 30 days. I could be wrong about that.
    You are. Domains can be transferred even after they are expired as long as they have not entered the redemption period. This means that after a domain expires, you still have about 30 days to transfer it to another registrar.

Many registrars do not provide this capability up front, but it must be requested and manually set up through their support department. It is required that they let you do this, however.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm

My domain name has just expired. Can my registrar require me to pay for a renewal before I can transfer to a new registrar?

No. Your new registrar of choice can initiate a transfer request on an expired domain name once they receive the required authorization from you. Expiration or nonrenewal of a domain name is not a valid reason for denial of a transfer request.

Note that if the registrar has already begun the deletion process on the domain name and its status shows it to be within a 30-day Redemption Grace Period, the name must be .restored. by your current registrar before it can be transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by 509eagle View Post
    My main quiestion is: Do i transfer the domain to godaddy first, then, point it back to 1and1 for the time being.
    When you transfer the domain, you'll have the option of keeping the current nameservers or changing them during the "buy now" process. Thus you can always have them pointed to 1and1 without doing anything else.

When you find a new host, copy site to new host while maintaining the one at 1and1. After site is configured, tested and functioning at new site, change nameservers to new host's. Then after new nameserver info propagates the internet (after a couple of days) cancel the 1and1 account.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Most of whats been said is sound, However,
    I would thoroughly check out 1 and 1's terms & conditions,
    they are very rigid in the way they operate and basicaly will not
    be flexible if you make any errors in the process of transfering,
    also they may not allow domains not reg through them to point to there nameservers, thay are after all [IMHO] domain reg.s first and hosts second.

Just check very carefuly Before you take any actions.

also they may not allow domains not reg through them to point to there nameservers, thay are after all [IMHO] domain reg.s first and hosts second.
    I think they were an ISP first, then host and registrar, but I may be wrong.

You're definitely right about the rigid, not always making much sense (and thus unexpected) policies though. I tried to host a subdomain with them, and their system adamantly requires that your main domain uses their nameservers. If you don't comply with that within 2 weeks (if I recall correctly) they undo your hosting setup for that particular domain and subdomain.

In any case if you want to change your web hosting company you do not need to change your domain name registrar. And for the some reasons that is not recommended to have web hosting and domain name from the same company

You could easily separate the web hosting from mail hosting by using DNS management. If you point your MX records to google apps your mail will go on working wherever you move your domain.

This is how you could do:

-get google apps account
    -point your MX record to google apps in your current registrar
    -move your domain to new registrar (godaddy)
    -get a new host account and point DNS to their nameservers

Quote Originally Posted by vpsplug View Post
    -get a new host account and point DNS to their nameservers
    I assume that would be enough to have A record point to the web hosting service
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

It's not advisable to buy your domain and host from the same company, you could have problems when you decide to move either of your product someplace else.

Cool

I'd agree to move the domain and it will stay pointed to1 & 1 unless you change it during the transfer (don't fall for GoDaddy's hosting options you will have to refuse again and again)

BUT 1 & 1 is REALLY big on "package" deals. "Free domain with such & so plan" type offers and these are LOADED with fine print. You may have committed to stay with 1&1 for a certain length of time before the "free" domain really becomes yours. In this case you may be stuck upgrading hosting with 1&1 if you haven't "fulfilled" your contract when you got the "package". I had a client recently with a similar company who couldn't move hosting to us because while their entire commitment to the other company was only about $150 over the time in the contract the "early cancellation" was $300 to keep their name (which of course was already on all their cards & stationery etc. so we had to advise them to stay until they completed their "contract". However be careful when you upgrade hosting (IF you have to stay there) that you don't accidentally get into another commitment. Really read the fine print.
    But if your domain is free & clear all the above are correct. Move first. Then find a host that suits your needs then cancel with 1&1 after you have everything set-up and uploaded to your account on the new host so thee will be no downtime-change name server settings and when you're sure all has propagated to the site on the new host cancel with 1 & 1 but check before trying to transfer to make 100% sure your domain is free of any "fine print" contractual obligations.

1&1 is one of those companies that runs a lot of magazine ads with great "deals"-- free domain names with... free e-commerce hosting with...free web site builder with... etc. and each has their own obligation some where in there. The deals would be too good to be true otherwise. There has to be a way they can recover the cost of the initial "freebie". There's nothing wrong with the practice at all; but too often people don't read all the pages the fine print says to read; so they don't fully understand the "contract" they are making when they take the "deal".
    Four years is a long time so it's likely you are good unless you accidentally made another contract somewhere on the way (most deals are 1 to 2 year commitments)

But as long as your name is "free and clear & 100% yours then the above is good advice, move first, find new host, set-up web site on new host, change name-servers, then cancel current hosting...and go "month to month" with whoever the new host is until you are 100% sure you'll like them. I advise always staying on monthly but some people like a yearly discount offer but be sure they will deliver the same for a year before making a commitment.
    One of the great things about hosting is as long as your name is yours you can switch until you find the best host for your needs & your site & visitors don't know you are changing (when done properly). There's a lot of us, so someone is bound to be "perfect" for you.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    ....you can't transfer a domain if it expires within the next 30 days. I could be wrong about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
    You are. Domains can be transferred even after they are expired as long as they have not entered the redemption period.
    Wrong. RossMan was correct. There is a window, usually about 30 days after registration and 30 days before expiration when you cannot transfer a domain name
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Wrong. RossMan was correct. There is a window, usually about 30 days after registration and 30 days before expiration when you cannot transfer a domain name
    Sorry, but your correction of my correction is, in fact, incorrect. You may find a list of the only reasons that a transfer may be denied from a registrar on ICANN's website here:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm
    Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons, the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial. The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

Evidence of fraud
    UDRP action
    Court order by a court of competent jurisdiction
    Reasonable dispute over the identity of the Registered Name Holder or Administrative Contact
    No payment for previous registration period (including credit card charge-backs) if the domain name is past its expiration date or for previous or current registration periods if the domain name has not yet expired. In all such cases, however, the domain name must be put into "Registrar Hold" status by the Registrar of Record prior to the denial of transfer.
    Express written objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. (e.g. - email, fax, paper document or other processes by which the Transfer Contact has expressly and voluntarily objected through opt-in means)
    A domain name was already in “lock status” provided that the Registrar provides a readily accessible and reasonable means for the Registered Name Holder to remove the lock status.
    A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period.
    A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs).