* Rackspace Cloud Server with Cpanel

Guys,
    Is it possible to install Cpanel on the Rackspace Cloud Server? I was about to get dedicated but I'm not sure if something like Cloud Server wouldn't be better, because I can start small and if I want to upgrade to bigger server with 16GB of ram I just click upgrade. Seems to be hassle free.
    Did anyone installed cpanel on cloud servers?
    PeterOnTheNET

Your best bet is to just ask those guys, but IPs with them are not static, and cPanel requires a static IP, so you are likely to have issues, not to mention the huge costs of bandwidth, when you start having some serious traffic.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

They are static IP's for as long as you keep your server live so that's not an issue.
    PeterOnTheNET

You can find their tutorial to install cPanel at their cloud here, which makes me wonder if they are able to install it for you. Best thing is to contact them for more information.
    DuplikaHosting en Argentina made with love
    Trusted by more than 4000 customers since 2005.

Ya, it works. I have several sites on a rackspace cloud with a vps cPanel license.

Moved > Cloud computing.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    Ya, it works. I have several sites on a rackspace cloud with a vps cPanel license.
    Hi Mark,
    Did they install it for you?
    By the way, usual security hardening required or taken care of by 'the cloud'?

I'm considering moving all clients of VPS and reseller plans I have into the RackSpace offerings.

Thanks,

- Vince

Howdy,

Purchased the license from instantcpanellicenses.com and installed it myself. Tossed on CSF and some other goodies. Been stable since I launched it in June. Only rebooted it a few times, nothing has crashed.
    Best Regards,

Mark

Sounds good mark.
    Do they offer to install it as well?
    By the way, have you tried implementing any hosting and billing like WHCMS?

Can't crash a cloud can you?

- Vince

instantcpanellicense.com does do free installs but i've never have asked. No billing system as it's just a personal cloud.
    Best Regards,

Mark

You can absolutely install cPanel or any other control panel software on your Cloud Server. The Rackspace Cloud does not do this for you, but we have posted a tutorial that you can reference as someone else posted above.

There are also many companies out there who can help you set this up as well if you prefer not to do it yourself. Platinum Server Management is a firm many of our customers have used.
    Chad Keck
    My Site: www.chadkeck.com

I contacted rackspacecloud, via chat and I was told that I could have only 5 ips per cloud server. Most of my business is e-commerce, need ssls. Which would not work.

I was hoping top consolidate some servers, that are very underutilized.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeck View Post
    You can absolutely install cPanel or any other control panel software on your Cloud Server. The Rackspace Cloud does not do this for you, but we have posted a tutorial that you can reference as someone else posted above.
    Hi Chad,
    The following part of the tutorial is confusing:
    cPanel requires at least 20GB of hard drive space to run properly. Does this mean it will run on a 256MB server with 10GB? Of course... but keep in mind you will only have about 4GB free once it has finished.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

Still undecided on which to go for; Cloud server, or Cloud sites product.
    Also confusing is
    - why you would need the Cloud files option with the Cloud sites product?
    - How can the 'single' server Cloud server be deemed to be "Cloud hosting"?

Thanks,

- Vince
    Last edited by hostingvince; 11-13-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Vince,

In regards to the question about the tutorial, it is recommended to use a 512MB Cloud Server if you will be installing a control panel such as cPanel or Plesk because of the amount of storage they require AND the memory which the background processes will consume.

The example in the tutorial was stating how, with a 256MB Cloud Server that has 10GB of total storage, you would only have about 4GB free after the OS installation and cPanel, which isn't much room to grow. So if cPanel is a must, stick with a 512MB Cloud Server to start.

Quote Originally Posted by hostingvince View Post
    Still undecided on which to go for; Cloud server, or Cloud sites product.
    Also confusing is
    - why you would need the Cloud files option with the Cloud sites product?
    - How can the 'single' server Cloud server be deemed to be "Cloud hosting"?
    Great questions -- and it all comes down to what you are running on the environments. I generally tell those looking at our platforms that if your web site/application will run on the Cloud Sites platform, use that. The reason being is that this is a fully managed platform with inherent scalability, automated load balancing, high levels of redundancy, database clustering and an easy to use control panel that will blow away cPanel and Plesk. Not to mentioned the free business class email platform which you get free as well (Rackspace Email).

Now, if you need to run an environment that we don't support on Cloud Sites, such as RoR, Tomcat, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc...then Cloud Servers is the next logical choice as you have full complete control over the environment just like having a dedicated Linux server. You do have to manage the environment itself and there is no control panel except for managing your server instances themselves, unless you install a commercial or open-source CP yourself (or have someone do this for you).

And lastly, to answer your question about a single server instance being referred to as Cloud hosting. There are several reasons why the Cloud Servers platform is classified as Cloud hosting, including: CS offers rapid provisioning which allows you to deploy server instances in a matter of seconds or minutes depending on size; you can resize a current CS essentially on-the-fly to expand the amount of memory, dedicated CPU, storage and disk i/o available, you can provision 1 or 100 servers at a time and utility billing (pay per server hour and bandwidth is separate per GB). These are just a few of the capabilities which make it Cloud, and there are many others as well.

If you still have any questions or concerns just let me know -- thanks!

-Chad
    Chad Keck

Hi Chad,
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused.

AFAIK, cloud hosting for a Website would imply that it is hosted on multiple servers, correct?

Hence from what you are saying regarding the Cloud Server product, this would not be the case. If I order your Cloud Server, any Websites hosted on there will still have a single server point of failure, right?

In comparison, with your Cloud Sites product, when I add a Website it would be spread accross many servers, or have I got that wrong?

I honestly think too many providers are stretching the truth about their Cloud services, or at least not the same type of Cloud setup that industry leaders are referring to. i.e. Google, Amazon, Microsoft.

Please do let us know if the above has any incorrect assumptions.

Best wishes,

- Vince

AFAIK, cloud hosting for a Website would imply that it is hosted on multiple servers, correct?

Hence from what you are saying regarding the Cloud Server product, this would not be the case. If I order your Cloud Server, any Websites hosted on there will still have a single server point of failure, right?
    In this case, the "cloud" is simply a fancy implementation of a VPS. Softlayer's system is the same way. The difference between a VPS and their cloud system seems to be the "pay as you go" model, as well as the ability to turn up a new system any time you please. While redundancy is definitely a feature of XenServer or VMWare ESX (Softlayer uses Citrix, not sure what Rackspace uses but probably close to one of those), most providers choose not to offer it because it isn't really cost effective (your VPS - er, cloud server - would double in price, and they'd have to cover their licensing fees as well).

Alex

Hi Alex,
    And thanks for your reply.
    Based on this, it does seem like misrepresentation or at least a intentional bending of the truth in regards to what is a cloud server.

It is a shame as I really thought the Rackspace brand - and other large brands - would be above this misleading approach.

At least their cloud sites product seems to be on a genuine cloud?

Best wishes,

- Vince

I spoke with a RackSpace cloud representative tonight and he did verify that all failover setups would have to be done by the client and that the Cloud Server product is basically a VPS.

I have asked the same questions of SoftLayer and they say there is redundancy and automatic failover within 30 seconds. Does anyone know if this is true or not? We have been testing the SoftLayer CCI solution because of the answers provided to us in chat and I will be asking for a refund if they actually do not have automatic failover setup.

It would seem most cloud offerings are no more than a re-do of VPS offerings. Instead of cloud, fog maybe a better term.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylane View Post
    It would seem most cloud offerings are no more than a re-do of VPS offerings. Instead of cloud, fog maybe a better term.
    Allow me to clear some of the fog around this topic so to speak

I can certainly see how it may be easy to confuse something like our Cloud Servers product with a traditional VPS, but let me assure you that while there are similarities they are by no means the same thing.

A Cloud Server is a virtual server instance based on our custom implementation XenServer. These server instances have truly dedicated and protected resources which isn't always the case with a VPS. While you may get a small portion of dedicated memory, there is generally no dedicated CPU allocation, disk i/o, network i/o, etc. In addition, most VPS providers only offer low amounts of resources...256-1GB of memory and no options above this. And the largest problem by far is VPS platforms are typically oversold, so one physical host machine is running far too many customers and this turns into a resource allocation nightmare causing server crashes or poor performance. There is no isolation from other customers.

With a Cloud Server you always get the full amount of memory, CPU, disk i/o, network i/o that you are paying for and there are some great perks as well, such as the ability for your CPU allocation to burst when there are free CPU cycles on the host machine or when it is heavily underutilized. So often you end up with far more CPU allocation than what you are paying for.

Now, all that being said, lets talk about some of the real "cloud" features...

Instant Provisioning
    Spin up one, ten or 100 Cloud Servers in real-time via our control panel or programmatically via our robust API.

Resource Granularity
    No need to worry about finding the best fit between 2 or 3 options. We offer a wide range of instance sizes so you can ensure you are paying only for the resources you need at that time.

Instant Resize
    One of the best features of the entire platform, instant resizing allows you to resize your instance with a few clicks in the control panel or an API call. Once this event is triggered everything else is automated and takes only a few minutes (depends on how much data is on the instance). Your new instance either larger or smaller will be created and a snapshot of your current Cloud Server is taken and restored to the new instance moving over all your data and configurations (no data migration or reconfiguration necessary). Once you confirm that everything is working with the new Cloud Server instance you can finalize the resize which moves your IP address(es) to the new server instance.

Hourly Billing & Utility Bandwidth
    Utility billing is essential for any Cloud platform and something else you will not find from a VPS provider. You pay for your server instances on a per hour basis, so if you only need an instance for a certain amount of days/weeks that is all you pay for. Or if you need to move up and down on your resources you continue to pay only for what you are using. Bandwidth is also something the VAST majority of users exceed or use much to begin with. We have broken this out to save you even more money instead of bundling it into the cost which always carries a dollar amount to it.

No Bloatware Installed
    No control panels or other software installed by default, Cloud Servers give you straight SSH/command line access to your Linux server environment just like you would have with your own dedicated server. If you choose to install a control panel, you certainly can, but we do not make this decision for you.

Cloning
    Server cloning allows you to provision a brand new Cloud Server instance on the spot from any of your current Cloud Servers which will contain all that servers data and configurations. You can also launch a new Cloud Server anytime from a backup image from any other server on your account.

These are just a few of the big differences between a true Cloud hosting platform and a VPS environment. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll clarify as much as I can, thanks!

-Chad
    Chad Keck

Hi Chad,
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused.

In comparison, with your Cloud Sites product, when I add a Website it would be spread accross many servers, or have I got that wrong?

I honestly think too many providers are stretching the truth about their Cloud services, or at least not the same type of Cloud setup that industry leaders are referring to. i.e. Google, Amazon, Microsoft.

Please do let us know if the above has any incorrect assumptions.

Best wishes,

- Vince
    Hi Vince,

I just posted a response right before this one with some clarifications between Rackspace Cloud Servers and a traditional VPS environment. Please take a look at that as there are some misinterpretations here I'm afraid, but I think this will help.

In response to the rest of your questions...

Cloud hosting does not necessarily mean hosting across multiple servers, and this meaning is different depending on who you talk to, but in most cases the concept is that of elastic resources in some form and the ability to pay only for what you are actually using. That way you don't have to plan for expected demand which can often lead to overspending for infrastructure or underspending and not having the resources needed available.

Our Cloud Servers platform offers a virtual dedicated server instance running on a single physical host server. These host servers are extremely robust with a lot of redundancy built in and are NOT oversold, but hardware can still fail. And if you have a single Cloud Server instance on a host server that fails, your Cloud Server will go down. Keep in mind that Cloud Servers has the same aggressive SLA that our managed hosting segment offers including a 1-hour hardware replacement guarantee and a 100% network uptime guarantee. Also, data on your Cloud Server instances are persistent meaning that in the event of a hardware failure you would not lose your data like some other platforms, Amazon EC2 for example. You also have the ability to easily set up replication and failover on Cloud Servers however between different instances on different host servers, and this is a great option because of the low cost.

On our Cloud Sites platform your site would be load balancing across multiple physical servers, correct. This is a fully managed platform however so you don't have full control over the environment. This is why there is an additional cost however. If your site/app will run in this environment there is no need for a Cloud Server unless you like having full control. Cloud Sites also offers a robust control panel for managing your domains, databases, email accounts, clients, tickets, etc...so there isn't a need for another CP like cPanel or Plesk.

Also keep in mind that Rackspace is a much larger player in the Cloud hosting space than Google and Microsoft. Cloud Sites is the largest platform-as-a-service Cloud at the moment, roughly double the size of Google AppEngine and Amazon doesn't even have a platform Cloud. In the infrastructure-as-a-cloud domain, only Amazon is larger than Rackspace by a small margin overall. There is no stretching of the truth in regards to our platforms, and if that were the case with Cloud Servers that would mean that Amazon EC2 isn't a Cloud platform either as these are very similar.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Chad
    Chad Keck

Hourly Billing & Utility Bandwidth
    Utility billing is essential for any Cloud platform and something else you will not find from a VPS provider. You pay for your server instances on a per hour basis, so if you only need an instance for a certain amount of days/weeks that is all you pay for. Or if you need to move up and down on your resources you continue to pay only for what you are using. Bandwidth is also something the VAST majority of users exceed or use much to begin with. We have broken this out to save you even more money instead of bundling it into the cost which always carries a dollar amount to it.

-Chad
    In regards to bandwidth I meant to say that most web sites do NOT exceed or even come close to utilizing the amount of bandwidth offered in most hosting plans and there is always a price you are paying for this. In most situations it works out to be less expensive paying utility.

Also, if anyone knows how to edit a post could you please let me know Couldn't seem to find that option anywhere. Thanks!

-Chad
    Chad Keck

Not to mentioned the free business class email platform which you get free as well (Rackspace Email).

-Chad
    Chad, do you mean that RS email and the email which we get via RS Cloud site are same? Have got same feature set? If not, can you please elaborate on differences.

I am actually looking out for a high quality email solution and if possible some control too, like routing the inbound and outbound mails through RBLs and BCC at a domain level.

In addition, if I could get some kind of failover, that would be icing on the cake. If not, we shall set up a back up MX server at the least.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by netmask001 View Post
    Chad, do you mean that RS email and the email which we get via RS Cloud site are same? Have got same feature set? If not, can you please elaborate on differences.

I am actually looking out for a high quality email solution and if possible some control too, like routing the inbound and outbound mails through RBLs and BCC at a domain level.

In addition, if I could get some kind of failover, that would be icing on the cake. If not, we shall set up a back up MX server at the least.

Regards,
    I'd be interested in this as well considering I was looking at moving my email to rackspace.

I did have a play with the email available on the cloud hosting.

I have about 12 accounts on Rackspace email, including my own. I like it! And clients have no problems so they like it too
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    I have about 12 accounts on Rackspace email, including my own. I like it! And clients have no problems so they like it too
    I signed up for the 14day trial, just waiting for them to provision the account and I can migrate over.

P.s

I think we're getting a little off topic here.

Also keep in mind that Rackspace is a much larger player in the Cloud hosting space than Google and Microsoft. Cloud Sites is the largest platform-as-a-service Cloud at the moment, roughly double the size of Google AppEngine and Amazon doesn't even have a platform Cloud. In the infrastructure-as-a-cloud domain, only Amazon is larger than Rackspace by a small margin overall. There is no stretching of the truth in regards to our platforms, and if that were the case with Cloud Servers that would mean that Amazon EC2 isn't a Cloud platform either as these are very similar.
    What metric are you using for these comparisons (i.e. "largest"), and can you cite sources for them?

yes, you can run cpanel with a cloud server, it works great, you can even run plesk
    Greg Moeck
    NOC Supervisor
    HOSTING.COM Cloud Hosting, VPS, Dedicated, Shared
    North American datacenters in Denver, Irvine, Louisville, Newark and San Francisco, Newark

Quote Originally Posted by lockbull View Post
    What metric are you using for these comparisons (i.e. "largest"), and can you cite sources for them?
    This data is from an independant review published by the WSJ, link here: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...17-707774.html

In terms of IaaS Clouds, you can reference MANY different reports out there, but this one is updated monthly: http://www.jackofallclouds.com

-Chad
    Chad Keck

Sorry Chad, but it's still a VPS IMHO - just because some providers overload their VPS platforms or only offer low/non-guaranteed resources it doesn't mean everyone does and it doesn't mean that your offering isn't a VPS just because you offer higher limits/guaranteed resources. Just the same as EC2 is just a a VPS at the core of it - just that they, like yourselves allow you to provision as you need, as do many providers.

It's a bit like if I took virtual hosting, gave it some fancy name and said it was something different just because we allowed people to signup in realtime and charged them on an hourly basis (perfectly possible). It's still exactly the same product, just billed differently.

There's waaaay too much confusion around what is and isn't cloud and changing the label on existing technologies doesn't help.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.