"Tickets are 24/7"

When a host says tickets are 24/7 do you expect 24 hours a day 7 days a week support?

My web host made the fatal mistake of saying that to me, I submitted a ticket at 10.30pm yesterday (Friday) and am still waiting for a reply today (Saturday 9.42am) lol.

I would expect 24x7 support; however be careful, if your ticket is sales related they often have other response times as for technical issues.

Did you also got a reply the ticket is created ? most ticket systems will let you know when a ticket is created so you are sure it is received by them; if not you should try to login to the support system and see if the ticket is really there.

Or by 24/7 that host means helpdesk application is online 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by vinsar View Post
    Or by 24/7 that host means helpdesk application is online 24/7.
    Going that way you could also say your get a ticket response within 24h or 7 days .. whatever suits them best; but in general its meant you get 24x7 support and normally they also give a response time so i.e. 24x7 support with 30 minutes response time. But even then it does not mean they would solve the issue within 30 minutes

I suppose it also depends if they have a backlog on tickets but I suppose you could submit a ticket tomorrow and see if they get responces around the same time on monday
    Kind Regards
    Christopher Smith

It does seem like dodgy marketing . I'd read that from a marketing point of view and interpret it as being "our ticketing system is functional 24 hours a day 7 days a week" ... not necessarily 24/7 support.
    NeutroHost.com - Carbon-Neutral Web Hosting at affordable prices!
    Reliable shared hosting, daily support, and low prices. Contact us at Support@NeutroHost.com

the ticketing system they use is clientexec..

just looked at the time and it says 13 hrs 23 mins

thats how much time has gone past. replied the first time within 5 minutes which was nice. but I added further comments to it after their reply asking about some more information on the topic etc and still no reply.

lets see what monday brings

Ticket reply in 12-24hours could still be acceptable.Always expect a "problem solved" response better than "ticket received,and we are looking into...".
    And if your problem is critical,a phonecall or a online chat will be more effective.
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

I think your host would probably be able to tell you exactly what they mean by that comment, however I think it should mean they are available 24/7. Was it an emergency you submitted?
    They call me the bread baker

It's very simple really.

If a company offers "24x7" support, then you expect a response within 10, or a maximum of 30 minutes on tickets or emails. It does come down to the providers SLA as to response times, but you would expect something in that kind of time frame.

Unfortunatley a lot of companies think that since you can login to the ticketing system 24x7, or send an email 24x7, that classifies as 24x7 support. Even when there is nobody behind the system to reply to your messages.

It sounds like your provider is being dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by stebaker View Post
    Was it an emergency you submitted?
    thankfully...no it wasnt.

more of a new build question. they have my money, im just waiting for it to be built. patient as ever, ive not once moaned or complained about the build time as they do a good job with the server I currently have with them.

however as I said we shall see what becomes of the ticket on monday.

Your provider's SLA should provide the answer in detail. Generally, a client can send email tickets 24/7 but gets a response the soonest business day/hours.

If your host say 24/7 , they should have replied to your ticket. I hope you ask them about this and get a response for that soon.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

Technical Articles

Quote Originally Posted by inspiron View Post
    If your host say 24/7 , they should have replied to your ticket. I hope you ask them about this and get a response for that soon.
    Yeah its tempted to ask what they meant by it, but I wouldnt wanna seem like im coming across like a moaning / pushy customer.

I say that my company has 24/7 support, submit a ticket at 3:00am your basically guaranteed a response at 4 - 5:00 am, my phone just texts me and then calls me to wake me up.

It is a marketing scheme though, and saying 24/7 support desk is a bit of a scam, as your misleading your customers.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

I think people generally expect too much for nothing in the webhosting marked. I have difficulties seeing the need for, or the ecconomical sense in having true 24/7 support for a webhosting account that costs for an example $5-10 a month. People should be happy with reasonable hours (anything from normal working hours to for an example 8am to 11pm) as long as there's no major disasters such as whole webservers going down. If you cannot live with your website being unavailable a night the one or few times something goes wrong - then you should in all honesty be paying accordingly.

This whole 24/7/365 support trend is just another one of those unfortunate side effects of too many unserious parties in the industry, trying to promise everything between here and the moon in order to grab more clients. Very few actually holds true to it apart from the really big guys who have the finanical muscles to keep this ridiculous game going.

mooseweb: Do you honestly let yourself be awoken at 4 am to answer a normal/low priority ticket instead of leaving it for say 8am after you've had your breakfast? How can you sacrifice your life quality over something like that, and risk doing things / answering tickets half a sleep? It does not sound sensible from netiher a personal or business perspective. If you cannot afford to hire someone for the night shift (or outsource it), you shouldn't be providing 24/7 support in the first place if you ask me.

Are you working with their Sales or Support Department?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Shoel View Post
    I think people generally expect too much for nothing in the webhosting marked. I have difficulties seeing the need for, or the ecconomical sense in having true 24/7 support for a webhosting account that costs for an example $5-10 a month. People should be happy with reasonable hours (anything from normal working hours to for an example 8am to 11pm) as long as there's no major disasters such as whole webservers going down. If you cannot live with your website being unavailable a night the one or few times something goes wrong - then you should in all honesty be paying accordingly.

This whole 24/7/365 support trend is just another one of those unfortunate side effects of too many unserious parties in the industry, trying to promise everything between here and the moon in order to grab more clients. Very few actually holds true to it apart from the really big guys who have the finanical muscles to keep this ridiculous game going.

mooseweb: Do you honestly let yourself be awoken at 4 am to answer a normal/low priority ticket instead of leaving it for say 8am after you've had your breakfast? How can you sacrifice your life quality over something like that, and risk doing things / answering tickets half a sleep? It does not sound sensible from netiher a personal or business perspective. If you cannot afford to hire someone for the night shift (or outsource it), you shouldn't be providing 24/7 support in the first place if you ask me.
    perhaps mooseweb is like me and puts his heart and sole into something and is willing to go out there way to provide a quality service. something I think all host should do as standard.

Since when did I say im on a web hosting plan let alone paying $5 - $10 for it?

without going into too much detail on the expenses lets just say its a three figure sum.

so yeah I'm not just your run of the mill cheap web hosting plan, also the ticket isnt low priority its med I thought med was well placed cause I kinda deem it serious but not i have to know now or my life is over, serious.....

and for those that have followed this from the start and not simply posting random stuff, still not had a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by VINAX View Post
    Are you working with their Sales or Support Department?
    I have sent an email to support and sales, waited roughly 2-3 days for a reply...nothing...

so here I am in this ticket situation instead hehe.

As a rule I dont need server support but when I do need it, its nice to know my tickets can be answered. no fussed if there not awake at 1,2,3am but a reply during the day would be nice. specially if they say "tickets are 24/7"
    Last edited by Flumps; 10-10-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flumps View Post
    perhaps mooseweb is like me and puts his heart and sole into something and is willing to go out there way to provide a quality service. something I think all host should do as standard.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but there's a difference between putting your heart and sole into the business - and plain sillyness (in lack of a better way to word it). If you would like to run 24/7 support, and you truly care about your business and customers, you will hire someone to handle the night shift in an awaken/vigilant condition. Not depend on you getting up in the middle of the night, sacrificing your own quality sleep, to answer a low/standard priority support ticket. It just does not make sense to offer that kind of support coverage unless you can truly cover it 100%.

That someone instead realizes their limitation as a small company (not having funds for hiring extra help) and set their support hours for non-emergencies to something like 08:00 to 23:00 does not mean they care less about their business than mooseweb does. It just means they have the guts to be honest with their customers, and take care of their own basic need of getting a good night's sleep in order to perform 100% the following day.

One could also argue that instead of hiring extra people to run full support coverage night time, the money saved on not doing it could be invested back into providing a better quality service to the customers - without them losing out on much due to having to wait till the morning hours in order to get a reply if they submit a ticket in the middle of the night. Providing around the clock support is not always what makes the most sense from a business perspective. I wish more people could realize that.

Since when did I say im on a web hosting plan let alone paying $5 - $10 for it?
    "Since when did I say you are?" I am pretty sure I used the words 'for an example', and spoke in general terms.

and for those that have followed this from the start and not simply posting random stuff, still not had a reply.
    You asked "When a host says tickets are 24/7 do you expect 24 hours a day 7 days a week support?" - and therefore I do not think it is unreasonable to post some thoughts on this type of support, and the customer expectation in that department. While you imply that I am merely posting 'random stuff', I think the issue I brought up had good relevance to both your question/problem and the general discussion that followed.

That someone instead realizes their limitation as a small company (not having funds for hiring extra help) and set their support hours for non-emergencies to something like 08:00 to 23:00 does not mean they care less about their business than mooseweb does. It just means they have the guts to be honest with their customers, and take care of their own basic need of getting a good night's sleep in order to perform 100% the following day.

While you are right on this, it also means you have to be really honest to your customers and NOT advertise with 24x7 support, because you are not offering it. You have to be upfront with the customer and tell them that response times are up to 8 hours when you are asleep, i am sure that if most of your customers are from the same time-zone this works quite well. Although if you work a lot with customers all over the world this will most likely not work to well.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 10-11-2009 at 02:38 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    While you are right on this, it also means you have to be really honest to your customers and NOT advertise with 24x7 support, because you are not offering it. You have to be upfront with the customer and tell them that response times are up to 8 hours when you are asleep, i am sure that if most of your customers are from the same time-zone this works quite well. Although if you work a lot with customers all over the world this will most likely not work to well.

Yep I agree.

and sorry about my comments above think I over reacted a little bit.

Guess it just annoys me that you very, very rarely see honest opening hours. Most Web Hosts sites I visit say 24x7 Support.

Just annoys me when you do need support just before you go to bed cause something has gone down and wont come back up. But its like what somone suggested already a simple phone call in that instance would be better then a ticket / email.

You can submit ticket 24/7 but you'll get response in few hours lol
    I prefer live support, which I check if it is online multiple times a day (and night) before signing up

I think if you are a small business, or even a 1 man show, it is probably a bad idea to push 24/7 support. It is simply not do-able, unless you have at least one other employee.

Most reasonable business owners understand this. After all, when was the last time you got support at your phone company at 3:00 AM? In fact our Baby Bell offers web hosting that has 7AM - 9PM support, and they are a Billion$++ company.

It would be better from a marketing standpoint to accentuate what you are best at, or maybe what your clients want the most. For example, everyone seems to think that most clients want unlimited disk space and bandwidth. However, my research (regional) indicates that in our region our potential customers were more interested in being able to actually talk with someone on the phone, if they have an issue or an inquiry.

So we focused a marketing campaign around the tag-line "at our company, you always get the office!! Not a call center"

We knocked the crap out of our baby Bell with that one.

Get the idea?

I must say I completely agree 100% with your post. Good quality hosting has nothing to do with a 5 minute response to a 4am ticket, "How do I make my text bold" type of thing! Quality hardware and maintenance of server is way more important. 24/7 ANYTHING for 5 bucks a month is totally absurd. Dave

Absolutely. If they state 24x7, it means that they should be available 24x7. Even for a 1 man shop it's not difficult to setup a system to wake you up when you get a support ticket. It just means that the host is lazy and doesn't want to provide good customer service.

It all boils down to everyone expecting the world for 2 dollars a month.

I just be totally upfront and state that tickets are answered between 8am-8pm. No one can offer true 24/7 support unless you run a small team of techs.
    HirstHost.com

If it says 24/7, they should deliver 24/7. If you don't get a response for almost 12 hours, then your web host is lying to you about 24/7 support.

Quote Originally Posted by nhost.co.uk View Post
    It all boils down to everyone expecting the world for 2 dollars a month.

I just be totally upfront and state that tickets are answered between 8am-8pm. No one can offer true 24/7 support unless you run a small team of techs.
    if you read the thread from the start your see im not actually physically saying that they are not providing the support nore do I state im on a "2 dollar a month plan"...funny how this thread has gone from $5 dollars down to $2 now lmao

the company im with actually charge a small fortune for all their dedicated servers, double figures in fact.

what I was waiting for support on was a server that im paying for that is actually three figures.

with the amount I pay, yes I would expect 24x7 support just like they say they do...

you can post tickets 24 7 but get a response hours later
    spot on with that comment I think. sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    If it says 24/7, they should deliver 24/7. If you don't get a response for almost 12 hours, then your web host is lying to you about 24/7 support.
    You'd give them 12 hours if they say 24/7 support....if a company truly is 24x7 support I would say waiting 1-2 hours tops would be more then enough. lol.

at our company, you always get the office!
    now if only somone provided a service like that 24x7 id glady sign up....jokes aside, yes I wish my web host stated their opening hours instead of false claims of 24x7 however some days I beg to differ if there even "open" during the day.

slowly loosing my teather with the setup of this server. think ill give them until friday, then ill have been waiting a month. cant accuse me of not being patient
    Last edited by Flumps; 10-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.

I say that my company has 24/7 support, submit a ticket at 3:00am your basically guaranteed a response at 4 - 5:00 am, my phone just texts me and then calls me to wake me up.
    I do the same thing for my company. If you put a ticket in at 3, my phone beeps, buzzes, vibrates until I get up.

As a consumer, when I see 24/7 I would expect someone on the case within an hour or so. This does not mean problems always get fixed in that 1 hour, but someone should be looking into it by then to get it resolved.

Wow, now that's dedication. My phone would quickly be shut off.

What happens when you log on and see it's someone trying to sell you imported Chinese goods?

You gotta push your mail through spam control first This limits most of it, I haven't been woken up for it in awhile.

Hum... Had someone once tell me that the 24/7 support they offered ment that they would 'recieve' my message and that someone was "on call" 24/7 -- not that I would get an answer for a fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbite View Post
    Even for a 1 man shop it's not difficult to setup a system to wake you up when you get a support ticket. It just means that the host is lazy and doesn't want to provide good customer service.
    That's just absurd. If a one man show advertise 24/7 support and they are alone on providing that, I would call it a lie. No person in this world can realistically be available 24/7 for an extended period of time. Now, if you cannot afford to hire additional staff, it would therefore not make sense to advertise 24/7 support and provide a mediocre support level spread thin across the hours of the day. Instead you should realize your own basic limitations, and be reasonably honest with your custmers about this. You don't have to spell it out on your front page that you do not run 24/7 support, you can merely replace "24/7 support" with "Support you can count on", "Quality support 7 days a week", or a number of other formulations - and have your support 'opening hours' cited under your company details, support page or similar. That's honesty and good business sense, not lazyness.

While being eager and passionate about your business is important as an entrepreneur, it is also important to take good care of yourself if you plan to be in it for the long run. Forcing yourself to wake up in the middle of the night to answer a ticket that could just as well have been answered in the morning, will not be good for your performance level the rest of the day (deteriating over-all quality), and it will not be good for your health over time. What's the point in having 24/7 support if the one-man-host burns out badly and goes awol after a while because he is not able to realize his own limitations and either hire additional help or reduce opening hours?

Furthermore, by basically saying that not doing 24/7 support is lazyness, you are implying that each and every host out there should run these hours no matter what. It is ridiculous to assume that 24/7 support is the best course of action for all companies, all business plans, and all the markeds within the hosting industry. If you for an example run a host aimed specifically on the European marked, spending money on staffing for normal support night time might not be the best way to spend that money for both the company and the customer's best interest. Instead one could define normal opening hours (e.g. 08:00 to 22:00, saving an entire shift), and only run a skeleton crew on stand by for real emergencies night-time. For a larger company, saving a shift can have MAJOR savings - which in return can benefit the customer in form of a better quality service or lower pricing. As a strategic business decission, this does not have anything to do with "not wanting to provide good customer service" at all. Rather the opposite.

We have operated for 4 years, and only provide 24/7 support via cms/tickets. typical 9-5 phones but the only people who call us seem to be our venders and not customers.

Though we do sla's with tickets, most never exceed 30 minutes and even "harder" ones are done with in 2 hours. With exceptions taking longer.

I realistically don't see a reason to operate phones 24/7. Even our accounts doing 10k+/month don't even bother calling when theres a issue, emergency/911 tickets work well that get paged out.

I like my sleep.
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    We have operated for 4 years, and only provide 24/7 support via cms/tickets. typical 9-5 phones but the only people who call us seem to be our venders and not customers.

Though we do sla's with tickets, most never exceed 30 minutes and even "harder" ones are done with in 2 hours. With exceptions taking longer.

I realistically don't see a reason to operate phones 24/7. Even our accounts doing 10k+/month don't even bother calling when theres a issue, emergency/911 tickets work well that get paged out.
    Having 24/7 phone support is not necessary, when advertising 24/7 support -- however responding to tickets/email 24/7 is important when advertising 24/7 support.