Can anyone do an installation for me?

Hi, i wish to start up a free hosting business and i've rented a VPS from slicehost but have no idea what to do with it! It's a fresh fedora 10 re-build and i'm trying to install a script called xpanel.
    This requires several modules and say's it can be installed from the command line, but it can't! First, one of the 'get' commands is asking for a file from sourceforge which no longer exists, however i did change it to one that does (a later version), second it doesn't make the directory cd/home/temp so i made this first then tried again. Now it prepares to install and after several minutes of doing various things asks if it may continue the install which will require 90mb. When i select yes it closes my terminal.
    So...are there any experts out there who might be able to install this for me, and if so, how much will you charge?? (cos i'm nearly broke!)

I'd definitely try the Systems Management Offers, Systems Management Requests forums and see if anyone can help you cheap

Good luck
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

I've thought about entering this sort of biz, but I never really found anything that was free to run.

I have found a good piece of software that does this, but I can't remember the name but it was intended for RH based systems. It is a commercial product and I forgot its name. It should run on fedora.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can really do to help but wish you the best of luck.

You could always look into something like cpanel or lxadmin. Lxadmin is cheap. However if cpanel is within your budget I highly recommend getting that. You might be able to get a deal on a license from slicehost.
    George
    WPDaredevils.com - Not your momma's web experts!! Managed WP Hosting, SEO, development and more!
    HostNewt - World-Class Business Web Hosting. The way it should be. (Coming soon!)
    I'm always out to help anyone improve their site. Best way to start is at wpdd.xyz!

Thanks

Ta Cirtex, i'll try that now.
    Spansky, thanks for the input. Xpanel is specifically made for free hosting and includes sign up and admin etc so it's prefferable to cpanel, it's just so confusing to install, especially to a beginner!

zbdblues I will suggest first change your OS to CentOS get cPanel or DirectAdmin and http://thehostingtool.com/site/about.html or http://www.ihostdev.com/ipanel.html

thehostingtool is free
    iHost is paid

But this way you will get better support and a working system, also using above combination you will be able to offer paid upgrades to your clients.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Thanks Vinsar

I do have THT on my pc and had looked at that before and ipanel. Ipanel requires cpanel which i couldn't afford i'm afraid and THT needs to be uploaded to a functioning server, i've simply got an unconfigured OS.
    My problem is no experience with working at this level. If i could figure out where the files and modules of xpanel are supposed to be uploaded to, i'd be halfway there, but i don't it! I have no idea what all those files are for such as VAR, Etc, and blah blah blah. xpanel is a complete free hosting operating system which is the appeal.

Xpanel is free? Their website indicates it costs $29 for an unlimited server license.
    Oh and that's the one I couldn't remember.
    George
    WPDaredevils.com - Not your momma's web experts!! Managed WP Hosting, SEO, development and more!
    HostNewt - World-Class Business Web Hosting. The way it should be. (Coming soon!)
    I'm always out to help anyone improve their site. Best way to start is at wpdd.xyz!

free xpanel

Well i've noticed on their site that there's a charge for it, however i do have it on my pc and got it from one of the download sites like hotscripts or something like that, but it was described as free. It seems (i might be wrong) that my version is an older one. Or maybe it isn't and maybe that's why it won't install??? Hmmm....i'll mail them thanks.

Since you're offering pay, moved to where that's allowed.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

oops!

Bear: sorry didn't realise, thanks for telling me.

Also, further to xpanel being free, well i've checked and i've got a one server licence. Also i remember having contacted them about 2 weeks ago and not receiving a reply, i'm wondering if this is defunct? Shame because it's a nice looking panel.

Quote Originally Posted by zbdblues View Post
    Bear: sorry didn't realise, thanks for telling me.

Also, further to xpanel being free, well i've checked and i've got a one server licence. Also i remember having contacted them about 2 weeks ago and not receiving a reply, i'm wondering if this is defunct? Shame because it's a nice looking panel.
    You're most likely going to have to have to purchase a license. $29 isn't a bad price, it appears to be a lifetime license, so unlike most other control panels, there won't be a subscription fee.

If you yanked the file off of some website, and didn't pay for it, then you may have picked up an illegitimate copy of it, or the person who was distributing the file forgot to strip it of his license data. Chances are his license has been revoked by the company for piracy, so even though you might have a license, its not yours, or anyone's anymore. Plus even if you could get it to work, you'd be open to a nice lawsuit from the company for stealing their software...
    George

Actually, on further looking, I think there may be 2 pieces of software under the same name.
    One is GPL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xpanel/
    The other is commercial: http://www.xpanel.com/

I don't have the slightest clue if they're related, but I now believe the one that zbdblues has is the GPL one. He made a comment about downloading it from hotscripts so I looked on there and found the GPL one.
    George

I spoke too soon. Either they're the same program, or the GPL one is stealing their logo and ui...

If they're the same program, then... just be aware that with the commercial one you get support, and with the GPL one you're on your own in case something goes awry.
    George

xpanel

Thanks again Spansky especially for taking the trouble to look. I am confused by this because i was prepared to pay for the script because it's worth it but also because they do free installation, however i wrote to them about 2 weeks ago and received no reply. Their demo wasn't working at that time.
    Now on the script i have it has an install procedure from the command line which uploads all the necessary files to the server by uploading them from the appropriate links. However some of those links no longer function, some of the sourceforge files no longer exist. However i have changed these links to equivalent upgrades. But after preparing to install i'm asked if i wish to continue as it's a 90mb upload. I select yes and my terminal closes.
    But, one of the links it includes is for xpanel itself, from xpanel and is the same version as the one being sold. I have written to them again, earlier today and i'll wait to see if they will answer this time.

If you still need help you can contact me at admin@host-city.net

We are Here to help Each Other So I Will Do my best To help you FOR FREE ! =)

Hello,

You can get back to us at,

Yahoo: ticketforge
    AIM: ticketforge
    Hotmail: ticketforge@hotmail.com

-Shyam