Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Please Help Me Find A Host (Price Btwn $200-$400 Monthly))

I'd really love and appreciate help in finding a better web host.

Facts:
    1. Our site gets approximately 20k to 25k page views daily (approximately 150 concurrent sessions), but with a better web host, additional content to be added, I'd expect that number to be closer to 50k page views daily in the next 30-45 days.

2. We are a news and opinion site. We do not serve video. We use mysql & drupal as our backend. We have a system to look up stocks quotes, news etc.

3. We currently are on dreamhost. The site seems to drag sometimes as we are on a shared server and the site goes down at least once every 2 days.

4. I'm looking to spend between $200 and $400 monthly for managed hosting.

5. I looked at Rackspace's could offering, but it has a limit of 250 emails being sent every 20 minutes, which won't work for us. Users receive emails on the stocks they follow and as we build up, I'd hope more than 250 alerts would go out every 20 minutes. Other than that, I loved Rackspace's cloud offering, it seemed very affordable at approximately $125 a month.

6. Other hosts we are loooking at: voxel, steadfast, servepath, singlehop, colocrossing, ubiquity, etc.

7. DREAM: I'd love an extremely reliable host, where we don't have to worry about the site going down or it being slow because there are more than 200 concurrent sessions or other sites on the network slowing it down.

8. Any help from any experts or stories would be greatly appreciated.

I would just go with a dedicated server and run LiteSpeed myself that way you could be in full control but I don't know of any fully managed providers where you can get what you need within your budget because server management is *not* cheap.

Shop around, I just don't know any off the top of my head.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

DedicatedNOW or WiredTree

I have server with DedicatedNOW and the network is excellent!! 100% Uptime! They allow 1000 emails to be sent out per hour. It would be best for you to just run a crob job instead though. You can do this with VBulletin. Not sure if you use that software or not.

yes, i think dedicated is best, but which company?

Quote Originally Posted by tomjones2000 View Post
    RackSpace offers fully managed servers but it's expensive - beyond that it's the only one that I can think of that offers fully managed.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Server Powered were good to me when I was with them a few years ago. Their support team provide an excellent management service.

how about voxel?

Try contacting Rackspace anyway, maybe they can work something up for you in these tough times. The answer is automatically NO unless you ask.

anyone ever use voxel?

Should I definitely go with dedicated hosting?

Anyone using drupal>

I'd really appreciate help in finding a web host.

The site gets 25k page views daily (approximately 150 concurrent sessions), but with new content to be added, that number should be closer to 50k page views daily in the next 30-45 days.

Its news and opinion site. Mysql & drupal is the backend. We have a system to look up stocks quotes, news etc.

The site seems to drag on a shared server.

Willing to spend between $250 and $400 monthly for managed dedicated or cloud hosting. I've been looking at voxel, rackspace, steadfast, and servepath.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Rack Space is good, but costly. If UK is an option, I'm now a proud VI/Virtual Internet client and their managed support is truly awesome!

If you can find a STABLE unmanaged provider, you can often add services like Platinum Server Management (PSM) on top for less than getting the full management direct with the facility. But the top names, I suppose, in fully managed are Liquid Web and Wired Tree

How's Gigenet?

It seems that they give you 2 hours a month of managed support?

How's Gigenet?

Gigenet definitely gets my recommendation!

Your budget seems high to me. I would look more into what is causing the site to slow down. If you need to upgrade, I would think a VPS would meet your needs. A dedicated server seems like overkill for 25-50k pageviews, at least IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by JG View Post
    Your budget seems high to me. I would look more into what is causing the site to slow down. If you need to upgrade, I would think a VPS would meet your needs. A dedicated server seems like overkill for 25-50k pageviews, at least IMHO.
    Your not going to be able to do 1.5TB/Day on a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpass105 View Post
    Your not going to be able to do 1.5TB/Day on a VPS.
    Of course not, but I don't see anywhere it says that he does that

Quote Originally Posted by JG View Post
    Of course not, but I don't see anywhere it says that he does that
    Oh, my bad I read so many of these posts I get mixed up sometimes disregard my comment

How's Gigenet?

Gigenet has an excellent reputation on WHT but don't take my word for it. I would recommend searching the dedicated server forum for reviews of Gigenet.

They're within your budget especially if you check the dedicated hosting offers forum where they have some powerful servers starting at $199/mo (quarterly). With the savings you can hire a third party management company for around $50/mo to supplement Gigenet's 2 hours a month managed support.

$199 Gigenet + $50 server management = $249
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

real fully managed dedicated server hosting is at the top end of your budget or higher... having said this, on a dedicated server, or VPS instance, your mail should not be throttled beyound your resources.. assuming proper double opt-in etc, you can send as much mail as your resources will allow you.. I am somewhat surprised to hear rackspace would have such limits on their cloud or dedicated solutions - the only time you would run into issues is if recipients were reporting your mailings as spam.. its always a good idea to throttle your mailings just so you arent eating up your resources - but, as long as your mailings are clean, and you are arent generating spam reports, you should be able to mail out whatever volume you can handle (ie what youre paying for in isolated environments)....

Are you looking for a psuedo managed solution? or a true, fully, proactive managed solution? this will ultimately dictate your budget requirements....
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

2hrs of support? First I've read about that but everything seems to be positive about them. What kind of support are you looking for OP? Maybe 2 hrs would be good enough for you and you can get some of their really nice servers.

This page drives me nuts since I'd like that kind of horsepower
    http://www.gigenet.com/managed-dedic...d-servers.html

Read my post in your duplicate thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=896132
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

I have a fully managed dual quad-core server w/HandyNetworks. Their Linux guys are absolutely top-notch and I think their prices are competitive. In addition the hardware and network have been rock solid, the only downtime is when *I* have restarted apache (to pickup some new files) and when they've scheduled a bit of downtime to perform server maintenance (ya, they actually install patches, etc).

I consolidated two servers at RackSpace to one server at HandyNetworks a little less than a year ago; I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

We evaluated almost a dozen other hosts before settling on them. In all honesty they all looked pretty good and we were having a hard time making a decision. In the end I actually resorted to reading through old announcements to try to get a feel for each company. One particular event caught my eye and I was impressed with their communication and handling of the event.

If you're interested it was the building power maintenance event in 2008: https://helpdesk.handynetworks.com/s...ews&newsid=105 and http://www.handynetworks.com/power-maintenance.cfm

Good luck in your hunt but be sure to check these guys out!

Regards,
    Jerret

Have you approached any company at all? It will be a great opportunity to ask questions and customize your order. Keep in mind that server management is an important task that can make or break a business. It's important to understand the management scope and set your expectations accordingly. Your budget should allow for a well performing server with management.

Regarding server performance, most traffic patterns can be be easily contained with software web accelerator / cacher. Something your managed provider can setup and configure.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

i forget which host it was, but they offer dedicated hosting with 2 hours of managed support a month?
    Anyone know who that is? thanks

I just found out it was Gigenet.
    The only downside with that one is it didn't seem like they host too many drupal powered sites. I'd like guys that know a bit more about drupal. Does that make sense?

TY guys for all your feedback so far.
    JG, we are on a VPS with dreamhost right now and it is not going too well.

RossMan, I think Gigenet, may be the best option for now so thank you for the positive feedback regarding Gigenet. My only concern w/ Gigenet, that the fella I talked to last night in tech support seemed very unfamiliar with drupal. But, mikeaBlah, I think 2 hours of support monthly could be enough.

RelativeDesign, yes, I'm in the same place you were a year ago. so many to choose from that it is really hard to make a decision. I just looked at handynetworks it seems that their managed support option is approximately $339 a month.

Any other managed support solutions for under $400?

Yes, 25k daily page views is not a ton, but if we are not at 50-75k page views within the next 30 days, then that will be a true disappointment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast