Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little rant...

bad batches my a**. The seagate drives have had horrible failure rates for me as well. Above 50% first month. Haven't had nearly the issues with WD. Although with all hard drives you need to cool them, I use cases that have good drive spacing and fans, and haven't had any issues worth mentioning with anyone except Seagate. Oh, I will make an exception for WD 10k raptors. Those have also had failure rates around 50% for me.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    OK, so about 7 or 8 months ago I made the decision to purchase only WD disks (750Gb+) due to the failure rate and even more serious 'bricking' issues in Seagate 750Gb/1Tb/1.5Tb that caused pain for many of our clients. Very few failures with WD since then...things have been good.
    Always thought WD & Seagate's were the best drives around.

I've only had problems with Samsung and Maxtor drives... never again!

Thanks for the post

Yeah I bought a lot of samsung drives as well. None were particularly fast, compared to WD, so I wish I had bought those instead. And I did have a few drives that over time degraded the performance enough that I had to stop using them, although they didn't fail outright. But overall the failure rate with samsung was not above what I would expect. It's a respectable choice but certainly not my first choice. Seagate on the other hand, bar none the one I stay away from if at all possible.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

I am taking a chance with Samsung 1Tb disks for our low end offerings. So far no issues at all, but the throughput is a bit less than Seagate. Anxious to know how well these disks hold up.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Aha, going off-topic of servers. I have a 320GB maxtor in my main business/office PC - should I be worried?

Hand built, so cheapest was my personal bet ha

I've always preferred the WD drives over Seagate personally!

I purchased Seagate 1.5TB for my home pc less than a month ago. Faster than WD or Samsung disks I used (500 GB ones, 250 GB ones).

Seagate was the only one offering 1.5TB disks at 7200rpm, WD ones were 5900rpm.

I hope failure rates at PC usage are not as bad as server usage, I don't want to lose all those media files!
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Our failure rates on Seagates have been consistently low (expected levels ~3% per year)
    Same here. We use Seagate exclusively, and have hundreds of Seagate drives spinning in our storage arrays, including dozens of the 1.5TB model. Only 1 drive has failed in the last 4 years, which is an excellent rate.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12