PowerVPS 4 years review (almost)

Hello everyone,

I decided to post a short review regarding PowerVPS. I've been with them for almost 4 years, and it's been great.

After terrible experiences with some reseller accounts, I decided to get my own VPS. Truth be told they were a bit pricey when I signed up but I decided to try and see if their support was as great as everyone was saying, and at that point I reached the conclusion that peace of mind and tranquility are more important to me.

I must say they are great and it was the right choice. Very fast and knowledgeable support, always taking care of everything, answering requests that sometimes were related to third party scripts or settings. Overall it was an amazing experience and I would recommend them in a heartbeat. In almost 4 years I can recall just one major downtime and that's because it happened recently otherwise I'd have to start searching the closed ticket logs to refresh my memory regarding the last time I had any problems.

I have really been blessed with a great and stable VPS provider, and for that I thank everyone here who have shared their experiences regarding PowerVPS.

I decided to post this review now, because soon I might be moving my VPS somewhere else and decided that before I go maybe others will find this review useful (like I found other reviews in the past). The only problem now is that I'm paying $84.50 for a VPS which comes with Fedora Core 2 (which is pretty much outdated), 20GB of disk space and 768 MB RAM. Right now, this is lot over the average price of other really good providers like ServInt, KnownHost, WiredTree. Taking into account the current economic situation and the fact that I don't make any money from the VPS, I cannot afford them anymore.

However a really big thumbs up for PowerVPS and for the quality of their hosting and their support.

The site I currently host with them: http://evilhosting.org

From Pindom report of your website, July 2009, uptime was not good, services down for more tham 1 day and 8 hours. What kinds of issues?

I decided to post this review now, because soon I might be moving my VPS somewhere else and decided that before I go maybe others will find this review useful (like I found other reviews in the past). The only problem now is that I'm paying $84.50 for a VPS which comes with Fedora Core 2 (which is pretty much outdated), 20GB of disk space and 768 MB RAM. Right now, this is lot over the average price of other really good providers like ServInt, KnownHost, WiredTree. Taking into account the current economic situation and the fact that I don't make any money from the VPS, I cannot afford them anymore.
    As you've been a customer for 4 years, I think PowerVPS should be willing to cut you a nice deal on an upgraded server. Have you contacted them about this?

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    As you've been a customer for 4 years, I think PowerVPS should be willing to cut you a nice deal on an upgraded server. Have you contacted them about this?
    I will ask the same!

@digitalgeek, did you send a message to Tom or David?
    * Visit the WHT Brazil: http://www.webhostingtalk.com.br * - * Follow us: http://twitter.com/WHT_Brasil*

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonT View Post
    From Pindom report of your website, July 2009, uptime was not good, services down for more tham 1 day and 8 hours. What kinds of issues?
    That was the recent incident I was referring to in my review. The node went down and a manual fsck had to be performed. This kind of things happen. However PowerVPS handled everything very well, and the users were kept informed all the time about what was going on, with constant updates.

Regarding a better deal, I did open a ticket regarding this, and I'm waiting for an update from them to let me know if anything can be done.

Quite amazing, a 4 year customer!

Good work staying with the same company for so long, and kudos to PowerVPS for being a great provider.

And as suggested earlier, you should ask for a deal for being there so long. If I had a customer i'd be offering them some kind of deal for being their so long... Possibly some kind of customer loyalty discount.

4 years here, too (since july 2005).
    I can confirm what the thread started said. Power VPS is very reliable.

About special offer to upgrade, well i was going to pass from the old machine (basic plan) to the new machine (basic plan). The new basic plan cost is much than the old. I asked if there was some special offer for this passage, expecially for old customer but they said there was not any offer and also that the change is not an upgrade but a move from different vps.

So, because of i have to transfer account anyway, i take this occasion to look around me, looking for other VPS provider. Not sure if i will remain PowerVPS customer or not.

4 years here, too (since july 2005).
    I can confirm what the thread started said. Power VPS is very reliable.
    The same situation with me.
    With Defender Hosting since dec 2004, and of course we pay less than the new customers, but unfortunately on old machines.

They have great support, but if i cann't upgrade from the old machine to the new, i will change it for other hoster.
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

Quote Originally Posted by 3-rx View Post
    The same situation with me.
    With Defender Hosting since dec 2004, and of course we pay less than the new customers, but unfortunately on old machines.
    We pay less but we have less power on our machine.

I had VPS with both PowerVPS (3 years) and Servint (3 years too) and I can say that their service is quite equivalent and their support is very helpful, unless you have a VPS with Directadmin (as I do)

Quote Originally Posted by albatroz View Post
    I had VPS with both PowerVPS (3 years) and Servint (3 years too) and I can say that their service is quite equivalent and their support is very helpful, unless you have a VPS with Directadmin (as I do)

Albatroz, do you confirm that servint quality is equal to powervps quality ? I see on servint website that they offer much more than powervps does but at less cost.

The only difference I see is that their support team (Powervps) responds a bit faster. But I haven't had a downtime with Servint in more than 2 years.

Servint used to charge a lot more for their services....

Servint used to charge a lot more for their services....
    Do you refer to support or to VPS offer ?

The VPS offer...
    Some months ago, their prices were comparable to PowerVPS ones.
    They are still a bit higher than the average, but I believe that their features worth it.

One note about backups:
    Although they don't guarantee them, Servint do backups of your files and keep them for weeks and can restore them for free.
    Other providers announce free daily backups, but the fact is that
    you need to do that process by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescoV View Post
    Do you refer to support or to VPS offer ?

The only difference I see is that their support team (Powervps) responds a bit faster.
    Agree 100% .
    A bit faster and you get more detailed explanation. If you don't know how to do it (f.e. you are newbie and don't know how to restore or backup site or db), they can do it.

Servint's support will send you link to site-> how to do it.

I agree that the Servint's politics have mind too, but if your account is DOWN and every minute is important for you is ... <How to Find anyone who can help you>

Support comparison chart by me

PowerVPS : servint
    100 : 80
    Your Health Encyclopedia
    Medical and health consumer information resources containing comprehensive and unbiased information in patient-friendly language

Very nice website you have there. I thought a few times of offering free web-hosting. A forums website with nocatch plan, as well as a post2upgrade plan.

I have also been with PowerVPS for more than 4 years now with 2 VPS top plans - June 2005 - but agree with others that their price difference compared to others (Servint etc) is sooo much more that I think they are no longer worth it.

They mentioned new pricing is due soon, but that was many noths ago (same time Servint changed their prices), so we all think it was a tactic to just keep us with them a few months more! :-(

- Vince

True how vps has more advantages over reseller hosting. Even if you have to pay for a cost, its still worth it. Good to hear you've been there for so long, many are force to keep moving from host to host because some problem keeps popping out, even when it started out good.

They mentioned new pricing is due soon, but that was many noths ago (same time Servint changed their prices)
    Servint's next step:
    Servint doubled space, RAM & Bandwidth
    768 MB 30 GB 1 TB for a $49 / month

the same specs with PowerVPS
    768MB 30GB 1500GB Bandwidth ->$109.95 / month
    Your Health Encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by digitalgeek View Post
    Yup, their prices are, kind of, "outdated" ;-)
    You may consider Linode.com / Slicehost.com as reliable alternatives with lower price tag.
    Homer knows about his website downtime, what about you?
    site-uptime.net site uptime monitor

Very happy to see so many long term clients sharing their good experience with PowerVPS. And it seems most of them are quite satisfied with the support and service and having some problems with their price and plans only.

It's been years since I tried PowerVPS but from what I recall it was a very tight ship. I also moved away b/c I was able to find equal or better service/support for less (WiredTree, Knownhost, etc...). I don't mind paying more if I'm getting something extra but I'm not going to do it just to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Very happy to see so many long term clients sharing their good experience with PowerVPS. And it seems most of them are quite satisfied with the support and service and having some problems with their price and plans only.
    Yes, you are absolutely right!
    Your Health Encyclopedia

Yes, you are absolutely right!
    May be these feed backs help them to redesign their plans and price if they think so. But actually its up to them to decide on the business plans .

Reading between the lines, I don't think they will change prices much as it's 6 months already since Servint lowered theirs considerably and PowerVPS have not responded with either price or plan changes.

They have obviously hit 'critical mass' for their operations, and see no need for growth at this time.

- Vince

I have a server with PowerVPS, and the only thing that's keeping me there is their support! It rocks... The techs are very knowledgeable and respond to your queries within minutes...
    Courtix Hosting Blog: Learn more about Web Hosting!

Quote Originally Posted by hostingvince View Post
    Reading between the lines, I don't think they will change prices much as it's 6 months already since Servint lowered theirs considerably and PowerVPS have not responded with either price or plan changes.

They have obviously hit 'critical mass' for their operations, and see no need for growth at this time.

- Vince
    May be that is the reason. Any way as I said it is up to them to decide their marketing strategy and plans.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalgeek
    Regarding a better deal, I did open a ticket regarding this, and I'm waiting for an update from them to let me know if anything can be done.
    Could you please give me the ticket ID so I can take a look?

Thanks!
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    -- W.W. Ziege

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.L View Post
    Thank you everyone for the kind comments.
    You are welcome. Congrats for you and your company for doing a great job regarding support and service.

Quote Originally Posted by arbet View Post
    I have a server with PowerVPS, and the only thing that's keeping me there is their support! It rocks... The techs are very knowledgeable and respond to your queries within minutes...
    Are you joking? I have been with them for 4-5 years and while the support was great the first year, it is awful now. The techs know absolutely nothing and 3 months down the road I have 2 issues that remain unresolved entirely. I am finally leaving them as I can't bear to flush my money down the toilet for another minute. $45/month should at least me get me some competent techs who are fluent in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
    Are you joking? I have been with them for 4-5 years and while the support was great the first year, it is awful now. The techs know absolutely nothing and 3 months down the road I have 2 issues that remain unresolved entirely. I am finally leaving them as I can't bear to flush my money down the toilet for another minute. $45/month should at least me get me some competent techs who are fluent in English.
    So , do you have any alternative? or i'll ask in another way - who is your choice ?
    Your Health Encyclopedia

So , do you have any alternative? or i'll ask in another way - who is your choice ?
    I no longer have a need for a VPS but if I did, I would likely try MDDHosting. Small fish but Mike seems like a good guy and MDD has a very good reputation here. ServInt would be an option if I wanted one of the big dogs.

If you don't need support and you are fully capable of reconfiguring the VPS, then PowerVPS might still be an option. Generally their servers are quite stable. Things don't just work out of the box though and the techs won't be able to help you unless you get Ryan Kneer who I believe is the only person there who has any clue what's going on. On another note, PowerVPS is pretty pricey considering you get pretty much no support.

Hi Acheron,

I'm sorry that you have had some issues that haven't been resolved yet.

Could you please send me a message with the ticket ID's so I can look into this for you?

Thanks.

P.S. There is an email address at the bottom of each reply we send with a way to get in contact with management if you are not satisfied with the support your are receiving.
    Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    -- W.W. Ziege

However unfortunately the time Powervps support takes to reply support tickets has increased during the last months.

However unfortunately the time Powervps support takes to reply support tickets has increased during the last months.
    Hello albatroz,

Could you send me some examples (Message me if appropriate)?

From what I have been seeing the averages have been 2-3 hours at the most, usually within 30 minutes to an hour.

Thanks, I'd like to review the ticket(s) in question.
    -- W.W. Ziege

To be fair, I find it very similar to what it has been in the past, which in my case is now almost 6 years, for about 90% of the tickets I submit.

What has changed for me on some occasions is how long it can take to resolve an issue when you get a less experienced tech person.

That said, I'd like to mention that the tech people called Manu and Pooja for me are probably 2 of the best you'd ever get. They always do more than you expected to resolve any issues, and extremely polite at all times.

Mind you, Daniel isn't so bad either

- Vince

It is strange that the techs knew earlier but do not know anymore....

Thumbs up very good for me

powervps support is fast and very good for me, simple the best that i've used.

I'm with them for almost 4 years and do not intend to change
    * Visit the WHT Brazil: http://www.webhostingtalk.com.br * - * Follow us: http://twitter.com/WHT_Brasil*