Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southampton, NY
    Posts
    229

    Linux or Windows

    This to me is going to be a big ish post.

    In the GSP or even client opinion, what do you perfer? Linux or Windows? In your opinion which performs better? What control panel do you use? Do you like it?

    Whats the best control panel for linux in your opinion?
    What about windows?

    Here's the big kicker, where in the hell do you get all the files either for linux or windows??

    Personally, i perfer Windows and TcAdmin. But windows is an extra monthly fee or addon cost to the server and then tcadmin is also a fee.

    How many linux panels are out there, I've been through a few, my personal favorite is OpsBase(not devoloped anymore but i own a copy)

    How are the other panels? I think i've used most except SwiftPanel cause it's new and GameCP.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,498
    Have you taken a look at the cpanel game server modules?
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southampton, NY
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfwc View Post
    Have you taken a look at the cpanel game server modules?
    yeah that requires i actually run cpanel. so nah not into that.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seminole, OK
    Posts
    1,561
    They most likely run better on windows unless they are coded for linux like teamspeak and ventrilo. Some game servers are but if the game server is coded for windows only then you would have to run it with wine or something simular. So another words both platforms are best.

    For example
    If the game server is coded for linux then you get the performance, security at less cost of resources.

    If the game server is windows only. Then running it on linux can be glitchy. Windows will run the server correctly and perform as expected.
    Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
    Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
    Established since 2011

  5. #5
    Actually its depends upon on what gameserver you are running some might get better performance on Linux or some might fair with the Windows. Also its depends upon what control panel you want to use. If you are expecting to save a few bucks then linux is cheaper windows licensing can be expensive.
    Support Facility | 24/7 web hosting technical support services
    Technical support | Server management | Data migration

    Technical Articles

  6. #6
    TCAdmin just blows SwiftPanel/GameCP out of the water and it's worth the extra fee for windows/tcadmin. Trust me to get a proper panel developed it isn't cheap and would be very hard to compete with tcadmin.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    I like to use CentOS with Swiftpanel they seem to run nice together "out of the box"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southampton, NY
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Goilio View Post
    I like to use CentOS with Swiftpanel they seem to run nice together "out of the box"
    So does CentOs and Opsbase.
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by JMele View Post
    So does CentOs and Opsbase.
    I have never used Opsbase so I can't comment on it, I am just attracted to Swiftpanel at the moment because it free for a wile.

  10. #10
    For gameservers I recommend windows. Its little bit costly, but it is reliable.

    Harris

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southampton, NY
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by SunShellNET View Post
    For gameservers I recommend windows. Its little bit costly, but it is reliable.

    Harris
    Linux is reliable if run right also
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JMele View Post
    Linux is reliable if run right also
    Yep, but configuring linux for gameservers is not a simple task

    Harris

  13. #13
    Gentoo or Debian in my opinion would be the best for game servers since they are both very light. (I am going to be testing it right now, I know gameservers.com uses debian, and so does a friend of mine to run game servers.) CentOS if you want to hop the bandwagon or more security. (heard from a friend) Ubuntu if your a noob. The community is huge, it runs game servers just fine, and no custom kernals are required for 1000 FPS. I've had experience with Ubuntu before with game servers, and it ran just fine.

    My experience with Ubuntu was more of a learning experience (I used Swiftpanel as well) and I recently purchased a box with Lime Stone so I will give you an update on my experience with Debian.

    Swiftpanel to me is probably the best control panel right below TCAdmin. It may not have all the features TCAdmin has to offer, but then in my opinion, you don't exactly need something that advanced. Swiftpanel gets the job done, and it's simple enough to use. FTP, restart the server, create a server, update ticrates, command lines, etc is all you basically need. I don't see a need for more, and Swiftpanel does that just as well as TCAdmin does. (With my experience)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southampton, NY
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHax0r View Post
    Gentoo or Debian in my opinion would be the best for game servers since they are both very light. (I am going to be testing it right now, I know gameservers.com uses debian, and so does a friend of mine to run game servers.) CentOS if you want to hop the bandwagon or more security. (heard from a friend) Ubuntu if your a noob. The community is huge, it runs game servers just fine, and no custom kernals are required for 1000 FPS. I've had experience with Ubuntu before with game servers, and it ran just fine.

    My experience with Ubuntu was more of a learning experience (I used Swiftpanel as well) and I recently purchased a box with Lime Stone so I will give you an update on my experience with Debian.

    Swiftpanel to me is probably the best control panel right below TCAdmin. It may not have all the features TCAdmin has to offer, but then in my opinion, you don't exactly need something that advanced. Swiftpanel gets the job done, and it's simple enough to use. FTP, restart the server, create a server, update ticrates, command lines, etc is all you basically need. I don't see a need for more, and Swiftpanel does that just as well as TCAdmin does. (With my experience)
    Your running a game community?

    I have a custom panel(OpsBase) which is like an exact clone of swiftpanel, it's just not as graphical. same features and everything.

    I almost though swiftpanel was the same panel as Opsbase
    "Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity." – Dennis Ritchie

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JMele View Post
    Your running a game community?

    I have a custom panel(OpsBase) which is like an exact clone of swiftpanel, it's just not as graphical. same features and everything.

    I almost though swiftpanel was the same panel as Opsbase
    Yes I am, and if it's exactly (or close to) like swiftpanel with all the fancy stuff removed then use that with a linux distribution of your choice. But in my experience, the difference between using linux and windows to run servers would be the cost and the resources / smoother game play (which is only reduced by a minimal. I've managed to fit one more server than I could on a quad core with linux than I could with windows.)
    Last edited by Jay Singh; 11-10-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:24 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 08:27 AM
  3. Linux sysadmin to assist Windows->Linux migration
    By paxx in forum Systems Management Requests
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 04:01 PM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 06:04 AM

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •